Insurance

Calkacky

I need some advice from some of you "experts". I will try and simplify this as much as possible.

My mom is on the transplant list. My brother is a match, but still has to be approved which may or may not happen as there are other things which could disqualify him. His testing goes to the trasnplant committee Friday who will make the decision. We will find out next week.

I have a cruise scheduled for 12/02/13 with a final payment date by 10/03/13. That deadline is also the day I have to cancel for a full refund for any reason. Because of the circumstances, I don't know if I will be able to take my cruise or not and won't know by my 10/03/13 deadline.

Carnival has insurance to cover "cancel for any reason". However, if it isn't a valid reason, as they define, my traveling companion and I would only be eligible for 75% refund. Based on reading the cruise insurance policy, it appears my claim would not fall under the valid reason thus making my tarveling companion and I only elgible for a 75% refund. If I were to do this and end up having to cancel, I'd feel obligated to reimburse my travel companion the 25% she lost plus the cost of her insurance. That would amount to $187.22 loss per person.

I really don't want to chance losing near $400.00 on this cruise so I'm looking for advice as to if there are other companies out there that truly reimburse you 100% to cancel for any reason. I've looked briefly at insuremytrip.com, but get easily overwhelmed. :eek:

Any guidance is appreciated. I don't want to have to cancel my cruise in the event I can still go, but I don't want to risk losing near $400.00 either to keep it on the books.

Thanks!

"Cancel for any reason" insurance would cover you, but I think you have to purchase it within 7-14 days of booking. I don't know if there's any insurance out there that will cover you for this.

You might cancel, then re-book later on if you determine you can go on the cruise...

Will any insurance cover especially at this late date? That might be classified a pre existing condition.

That's exactly why Carnival's insurance won't consider it "valid" and cover it at 100%. Do "cancel for any reason" insurances usually not cover pre-existing conditions?

Will any insurance cover especially at this late date? That might be classified a pre existing condition.

Yes, it will definitely be a pre-existing condition. Carnival's will still cover me, but only at 75%. I was hoping that there is truly is some "cancel for any reason, get a full refund" insurance out there.

If not, that kinda gives me my answer.....I either need to risk losing nearly $400.00 or I need to cancel before 10/03/13.

Yes, it will definitely be a pre-existing condition. Carnival's will still cover me, but only at 75%. I was hoping that there is truly is some "cancel for any reason, get a full refund" insurance out there.

If not, that kinda gives me my answer.....I either need to risk losing nearly $400.00 or I need to cancel before 10/03/13.

There is "cancel for any reason" insurance, but as I said before, you have to purchase it within a certain time frame (usually a week or two) of when the cruise is originally booked. And I don't know if it would give you a full refund, there are a ton of stipulations involved.

Carnivals cancel for any reason does not give a 75% REFUND.

They give you a 75% credit to a future cruise.

No insurance will cover if you purchase now. This is a known pre-existing condition.

No cancel for any reason insurance covers 100% refund. Best you could do is maybe 90% and I think that is HAL.

Carnivals cancel for any reason does not give a 75% REFUND.

They give you a 75% credit to a future cruise.

No insurance will cover if you purchase now. This is a known pre-existing condition.

No cancel for any reason insurance covers 100% refund. Best you could do is maybe 90% and I think that is HAL.

Thanks klfrodo....especially for pointing out that it would be a credit. The refund is if the cancellation is for a valid reason which this clearly doesn't qualify as. I didn't pick up on that until I went back and read the policy again after you pointed it out.

... If I were to do this and end up having to cancel, I'd feel obligated to reimburse my travel companion the 25% she lost plus the cost of her insurance. That would amount to $187.22 loss per person....

You are very generous to offer to pay your travel companion's 25% not covered by insurance.

But do you really need to reimburse the cost of the travel insurance itself?

If the insurance covers 75% and you cover the other 25%, then your companion would have paid for travel insurance, and then received full compensation for the trip's costs. That's what the insurance would be for.

To the best of my understanding, when one collects insurance for the full amount of some loss, one doesn't usually *also* get back the insurance cost itself.

Your companion paid the insurance premium, and got full coverage for the loss. Isn't that what counts?

Meanwhile, all best wishes for your mother's (and brother's) conditions!

GeezerCouple

Archived