European Cruising

mfisher59

I would like some pointers on what to be prepared for when cruising for the first time in Europe. We have only cruised Carnival out of the US to the Caribbean, and are considering a Costa cruise. Now that I've thought about it, I wonder if there are any big differences or expectations that I wouldn't be aware of having the limited world travel that I have. Anything you can think of from making the reservation, to necessary days to arrive before, even expectations of us on the boat........

I'm too intimidated to commit just yet, but maybe I would feel better with a little input from persons who have done it already? Thanks!

There is tons and tons and tons of info on the Europe Ports boards, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19

Europe cruises are usually much more port intensive.

When you arrive in advance depends on you...but with so many wonderful cities to explore, go as early as possible.

Europe is expensive, but pretty user friendly. Get the appropriate currency at an ATM in Europe, not in the US.

Get just about any Rick Steves book for tons of Europe info.

If you were sailing on a Carnival ship, I would say nothing will be different on the ship. But you might want to do some reading on the Costa board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138

or on the board for any other cruise line you are thinking of.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Our cruises (in randome order): Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal, Norway Fjords, Greek Islands.

I think European cruises are a little more formal in the way people dress, the announcements are in several languages, so it takes a while for the loudspeaker to finally shut up, and the definition of "line" or "queue" is somewhat lost :)

Never used Carnival or Costa.

I always recommend everybody, if only they can time-wise and financially, forget Caribbean, go to Europe.

I think European cruises are a little more formal in the way people dress, the announcements are in several languages, so it takes a while for the loudspeaker to finally shut up, and the definition of "line" or "queue" is somewhat lost :)

That's if you mean European as opposed to British. UK ships only use one language and do queue.

As for the OP, there are no material differences that need concern you. What do people expect from you on a ship? To the extent they expect anything at all, they expect you to be polite, unobjectionable, and not unnecessarily rowdy. Pretty much like in the USA, I expect.

Our first few cruises were European, we were a bit taken aback when we went on our first American line.

The main differences were the food, fellow passengers and formality.

If flying weren't so expensive and long we would only take European cruises.

• 1 year later...

European cruises usually require a bit more research. When you are stopping in some of these fabulous ports, you'll need to know a little bit about them so you can decide what you want to see or do. Along with that research is whether you'll need any special visas - for instance for visits to Russia.

When going to Europe for the first time, I discovered Cruise Critic and learned so many things - such as making sure your credit card companies know you'll be using them abroad - carrying toilet paper (or tissues) in your bag just in case and also being prepared to pay for using toilets. Be sure to read posts in various sections of CC - ports of call, ask a cruise question, your specific roll call - skim through, you never know what little tidbit of information you might find. And don't be afraid to ask questions, there are so many wonderful people that are willing to share their experiences.

I didn't want to go to Europe until I did - now I wish I had the financial means to go several times a year!!

Marianne