Celebrity Constellation to Norwegian Fjords

Hailey22

I am considering a cruise to Norway with Celebrity and would like to hear from people who have cruised the Fjords with this cruise line. The itinerary includes Bergren, Flam, Stavenger, Gieranger, alesund, etc. I would specifically like to know if the ship actually cruises through the fjords on the way to the ports or whether you have to do separate excursions in order to actually see the fjords. Any opinions about the trip in general or the consellation in particular would be very appreciated!

Welcome to Cruise Critic,

You should find quite a bit of information from previous cruises if you look for a coastal cruise on the Infinity Roll Calls. You should find multiple cruises in late May and then later in the season. The 2014 cruise leaves Copenhagen on May 23, for example.

General information about the fjords can be found on the Ports of Call boards. There is a sub-category for Europe that will give you wonderful information.

We sailed on the Infinity to the Norwegian fjords last month, visiting all the ports you mentioned. And yes, you sail through the fjords to these ports. Stavanger, Flam, and Geiranger are all gorgeous and you will love every moment of the journey. We had an aft balcony (I highly recommend) and had a beautiful view of the scenery as we slowly sailed through the fjords.

Garry

Thanks for all the replies....I can't wait to go. Does anyone have a suggestion for which side of the ship to choose if we get a balcony? I'm an aft facing fan myself but the people we are going with would probably prefer a "side" balcony. Suggestions?

Thanks for all the replies....I can't wait to go. Does anyone have a suggestion for which side of the ship to choose if we get a balcony? I'm an aft facing fan myself but the people we are going with would probably prefer a "side" balcony. Suggestions?

Both sides will have beautiful views, but I can't imagine, if possible, not getting an aft balcony for this cruise. It's the best place to be.

Garry

I've also done this cruise on the Infinity. I second the recommendation for an aft balcony. We lucked out and scored a corner FOV which was absolutely perfect for this scenic cruise. Keep your eyes peeled--all 6 of the corner FOVs opened up for booking by ordinary mortals (instead of families of 5) and were quickly snapped up by folks on our roll call.

Enjoy! It's a wonderful cruise. Take lots of money. Norway is VERY expensive.

Hi, here's what I posted at the start of this year's roll call for the 25th June long itinerary cruise. Very few opportunities for "private" tours though.

"Hi, having done the 2012 version of this cruise I hope the following will be of use even though the ports are in a different order and 2013 has Flam instead of Stavanger.

'Having taken this cruise in 2012, I thought a short review might be helpful. The review is written from the perspective of a traveller who pulled a muscle in his foot shortly before embarkation day, and was thus not able to undertake much walking!

We had Celebrity transfers so boarding at Amsterdam was painless. For those arriving by train the Cruise Terminal is an easy 10 minute walk from Centraal Station.

Stavanger.

The ship docks alongside the old city, an easy short walk brings you to the cathedral, museums, small street market, and the central park and lake.

Olden.

A small town with reasonably priced souvenir and clothes shops opposite the dock. Many people will of course do the ship’s tour to Briksdal Glacier which has a 2km walk from coach to Glacier, although there also options from local minibus and coach companies to buy tickets for a similar trip from the port. Alternatively a local company with road trains runs a tour of the local area up the fjord and back, or you can walk (to the right from the dock area).

Molde.

The ship docks very close to the town centre; of interest are the modern cathedral, town hall roof rose garden (entrance up steps at rear of town hall), various statues and the Romsdal Regional Open Air Museum which is walkable to BUT up a very steep route, so maybe a taxi going there. The museum opens at 11am for casual visits (ignore anyone who suggests earlier – they are wrong), and you should apply liberal amounts of anti mossie/midge preparations (similar biting midges to the Scottish ones).

Geiranger.

The only port with tenders to the shore. Useful to Google “Geirangerfijord Sightseeing” for further information. Pre bookable local trips are available online or from the tourist information office which is the large blue building on the right as you dock from the tenders. These trips include a 90 minute scenic cruise along the fjord, and a public bus trip to the summit of Mount Dalsnibba – if the bus company is contacted in advance it may be possible to arrange for a wheelchair friendly vehicle that day, certainly that was done specially for a couple on this years cruise.

Alesund.

The ship docks a short way (5-10 minute walk) from the city centre. If it’s Sunday nothing much happens until after 10am. The very fit can walk up the many steps to Mount Aksla, others may wish to take the sightseeing road train from the kiosk in Dronning Sonjas Plass alongside the Inner Marina, but be aware this is not a HOHO service just a round trip with a stop at the summit of Aksla. Other options include walking the city (not completely flat) or the bus from port to the Aquarium.

Skjolden.

A tiny village with an equally tiny pier. The ship does a complete turn on it’s axis in the fjord before docking. Apart from ships tours you can take a local bus at 1045am from the stop opposite the village information centre for a scenic ride along the fjord to the town of Gaupne (cost in 2012 was 90 krone return for the 2 off us) returning at 2.20pm. At Gaupne you will find a stave church (and note the many cruise ship coaches calling there) which is lovely once the coaches have gone, a waterfall and small town/shopping centre.

Bergen.

The ship docks within easy (5-10 minutes) walk of the city centre. The obvious sights of the Bryggen, fish market and the funicular railway up to Mount Floien are all there. If going on the funicular, head there first before all the coach parties get there. If using the HOHO bus get off at the first stop and walk to the funicular, rather than wait for the HOHO to tour round the sights as you can do that later! The HOHO can either be prebooked online (Google search as more than one company) or on the day as it starts from outside the cruise terminal.

Oslo.

The ship docks alongside Akerhuis Fort. With only one day to see OSLO the HOHO bus is a very good option. My personal opinion is to go straight to stop 9 – the Vigeland Sculpture Park – before all the tour coaches arrive – and then continue round as the mood takes you. Other notable stops are at/near the Cathedral, the Folk and Maritime Museums, and City Hall from where you can walk back to the ship if you wish (or carry on via the museums again).

In all the above ports we were greeted by local tourist information staff, provided with maps and advice etc.

Finally, the formal nights were on days 2, 7 and 11, although of course this could vary.

I hope some may have found this post useful and that you all enjoy this cruise as much as I did.

Doug."

HTH

The views of the fjords are breath-taking! Both sides of the ship are fine, because you go in and out of the fjords in the mornings and afternoons - and you'll have long days and few hours of darkness at that time of year.

If you are considering an aft cabin ( very much recommended!!) try for decks 8 or 7 - wonderful views but a bit quieter than deck 9. Lots of people are also raving about the aft-facing cabins on deck 11 - they're Aqua class cabins and give you the additional benefit of the AQ perks!

Archived