Platinum/Diamond - "Free" drink... why limited?

Tom-n-Cheryl

Has John ever been asked why the free drink coupon is limited to the dining room (breakfast/lunch/brunch)? If so, what was his reply?

That limitation, to me at least, seems like unnecessary "fine print" - making Carnival appear, dare I say, CHEAP! Why not just make it something you can use anywhere/time on the ship?

I suppose we'll get some again tomorrow!

Tom

Has John ever been asked why the free drink coupon is limited to the dining room (breakfast/lunch/brunch)? If so, what was his reply?

That limitation, to me at least, seems like unnecessary "fine print" - making Carnival appear, dare I say, CHEAP! Why not just make it something you can use anywhere/time on the ship?

Tom

I'm thinking that they are hoping people will forget about them. If they were able to be used at any time/place, then more people will use them.

Tom

Of course it's because they're being cheap. There was a time when the Captain's Welcome Aboard Party offered open bar to everyone for 45 minutes. I used to get to the Disco early and get a seat at the bar and order what I wanted instead of taking the prepared drinks from a waiter's tray. Then they changed it to a poorly publicized cocktail party on the last sea day in the afternoon. But it was still open bar and again, I would find a seat at the bar. Now it's one lousy drink coupon only good at the brunch, I believe. But guess what? I had bariatric surgery last month and no booze for me so they can keep their stinking coupon.

Also, it was to promote the "Punchliner Comedy Club"...that is the "budget" that these drinks come out of.

It was to draw people in to hear the Comedians during their 5 minute pitch.

Btw, the comedians will no longer by making their pitch at brunch...thank goodness....

Tom

man I didn't even know that you got a free drink as a plat perk?? ha

Also, it was to promote the "Punchliner Comedy Club"...that is the "budget" that these drinks come out of.

It was to draw people in to hear the Comedians during their 5 minute pitch.

Btw, the comedians will no longer by making their pitch at brunch...thank goodness....

We never made it to one of those.. DARN IT, now we'll never know what we were missing! :D

Tom

I can recall ONE time that we did indeed redeem our coupons. We were at breakfast and asked for a couple of Sprite Zero's in the can (unopened) to be used for mixers in our cabin at a more appropriate time of day!

The last three sailings I've ditched the Rum Runners in favor of just paying the price and getting alcohol delivered to our cabin at embarkation... much more predictable that way !!

Tom

The last three sailings I've ditched the Rum Runners in favor of just paying the price and getting alcohol delivered to our cabin at embarkation... much more predictable that way !!

Tom

I will add that Carnival is more reasonable on those prices. Picked up a bottle of Skyy vodka for our Sensation sailing tomorrow for $65. I believe Absolut was $5-10 more. On the Breakaway last week our liter of Absolut was about $105.

Tom

We never made it to one of those.. DARN IT, now we'll never know what we were missing! :D

Tom

Too bad. Wanda Sykes and Chris Rock were terrific. Didn't care much for Billy Crystal but probably because he went on right after Robin Williams who is a tough act to follow. :D

Too bad. Wanda Sykes and Chris Rock were terrific. Didn't care much for Billy Crystal but probably because he went on right after Robin Williams who is a tough act to follow. :D

I caught their main show, but did miss them at the brunch... ;) :D

Tom

Tom

It's hard to see how Carnival is being cheap when they are giving you a FREE drink.

If they want to influence passenger behavior with this inducement and it's restrictions, so be it.

I'm guessing that, by limiting the free drinks to times and places when a lot of people generally don't drink, they are greatly decreasing the number of free drinks that they'll be giving out.

Personally, I wouldn't drag my butt to breakfast to the MDR just to get a free drink. But I'm sure there's people out there who may consider the $7 savings well worth the hassle.

Tom

I am not by any means a John groupie/fan but I remember he was asked this on his blog one time and he said he had asked the beards if it could be changed. He said he thought it should be able to be used anywhere also.

Personally, I wouldn't drag my butt to breakfast to the MDR just to get a free drink. But I'm sure there's people out there who may consider the $7 savings well worth the hassle.

Agreed!

I am not by any means a John groupie/fan but I remember he was asked this on his blog one time and he said he had asked the beards if it could be changed. He said he thought it should be able to be used anywhere also.

That does sound familiar now that you mention it!

Tom

[quote name=LHP;40085015It was to draw people in to hear the Comedians during their 5 minute pitch.

Btw' date=' the comedians will no longer by making their pitch at brunch...thank goodness....[/quote]

Just off "Breeze", and the "comics" are indeed still pushing the comedy club by relating stupid jokes at breakfast time. :confused: It's nearly impossible to hear what they're saying anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter?

"SKY"

How about first having a drink coupon that will actually cover the entire cost of the drink? Basically, they are good for a beer. I won a couple 'free drink' coupons doing the mixology contest...they didn't cover a vodka/cranberry, even with house vodka. :rolleyes:

How about first having a drink coupon that will actually cover the entire cost of the drink? Basically, they are good for a beer. I won a couple 'free drink' coupons doing the mixology contest...they didn't cover a vodka/cranberry, even with house vodka. :rolleyes:

Ouch... at that rate the drink you're able to get might come with a question: "would you like lemon with your water". :eek:

I much prefer the drink packages offered on Celebrity to that which I understand Carnival offers. On Celebrity the premium package gives you the ability to "pay the difference". If a cocktail or glass of wine you order is over the package limit ($12), you only need pay the additional amount. Also, by including specialty coffee, waters, Red Bulls and such it can be used throughout the day.

For our Reflection sailing in January they were running a booking promo (got in on the LAST day of that!) where the booking includes the Classic Package. For an additional $10/day I upgraded to Premium... that rocks !!

i-PJkMmDG-XL.jpg

Tom

You can also just walk just inside the MDR at lunchtime and catch a waiter, and he'll go get your drink. Saw a whole group in their bathing suits and cover ups doing this (figured they came down from the pool for their free drink).

So if there are ways around it, they should just make it ANY BAR...

Archived