What Medical Conditions will Exempt from Cruise

jrm73

HI all. We have a cruise booked with Norwegian in 3 weeks- purchased travel insurance, but have a 'small' issue. We have been waiting to adopt for 3 years and last week received our baby with 2 hours notice. We are overjoyed. We went to cancel our cruise and it turns out adoption is not covered. The agent hinted that if we had a medical condition we may qualify for a refund, but it is subject for review. Just curious what sort of medical conditions would qualify for a refund- anyone been thru this?

I think you're just going to have to be overjoyed with your new blessing. The blessing will just be a little more expensive than you planned. Congratsulations

Any medical condition causing a cancellation would have to be documented and verified by a medical professional. Insurance companies are not stupid. They've seen every scam imaginable I would think.

What is covered? A non-psychological illness bad enough that you can convince a doctor (not related to you) to reasonably write a note and fill out a claim form saying you can't go. For marginal cases, insurance companies will have their own doctors review your medical records.

That's said, if you had a medical condition that might be sufficiently disabling as to prevent you from going, I imagine you might have mentioned it.

Your best bet would be to write a politely-worded letter to the cruise line explaining your happy surprise (maybe even including a picture of your new baby! and copies of adoption papers) along with something how you don't want a cash refund (don't even think about asking for one), instead you'd be thrilled to take your new baby on a cruise that you'll book with a cruise credit in a few months, should they be so generous as to provide one. Mention how after waiting three years for an adoption you didn't imagine it would occur right before going on the trip you've been looking forward to for years, how you purchased insurance to cover the unexpected, but alas it doesn't cover this joyous circumstance, etc. You get the idea.

Keep the tone light and polite... remember you are asking for something well outside of your cruise contract and a stern letter demanding a solution is going to get a form-letter denial. You are appealing to their better nature and desire for positive PR. Customer service agents are human... a picture of a cute baby and his/her smiling, but tired, parents should pluck the heartstrings of even the most jaded customer service rep. What you are trying to do is inspire the CSR that opens your letter to get up from his/her desk and go to his/her supervisor to obtain authorization for a credit.

It may not work, but it can't hurt to give it a whirl.

Welcome to Cruise Critic, and congratulations on your new arrival!

I agree that any medical related issue will likely need to be backed up by a physician.

Not really sure what you could do at this point. Perhaps read your policy very carefully and consider all the possible scenarios for cancellation.

Your best bet would be to write a politely-worded letter to the cruise line explaining your happy surprise (maybe even including a picture of your new baby! and copies of adoption papers) along with something how you don't want a cash refund (don't even think about asking for one), instead you'd be thrilled to take your new baby on a cruise that you'll book with a cruise credit in a few months, should they be so generous as to provide one. Mention how after waiting three years for an adoption you didn't imagine it would occur right before going on the trip you've been looking forward to for years, how you purchased insurance to cover the unexpected, but alas it doesn't cover this joyous circumstance, etc. You get the idea.

Keep the tone light and polite... remember you are asking for something well outside of your cruise contract and a stern letter demanding a solution is going to get a form-letter denial. You are appealing to their better nature and desire for positive PR. Customer service agents are human... a picture of a cute baby and his/her smiling, but tired, parents should pluck the heartstrings of even the most jaded customer service rep.

It may not work, but it can't hurt to give it a whirl.

This is a great idea. Agree, don't ask for a refund. See if they'd be willing to grant you a credit on a future cruise. And don't wait until the last minute. The sooner you do it, the better... at least in the cruise line's eyes. They'd have more time to resell your cabin.

How old is the child? Most cruise lines will let you take a child on board over 6 months old. You would have to add the child as a passenger (might have to change the room to a triple occupancy) and pay the cruise fare for him/her. This would be cheaper and more fun than simply losing your money.

And cruise lines can move the money to another sailing. In your request, you could ask for another date (when the child is old enough) and make a triple booking right then for that sailing. The cruise line can "redeploy" your $$. Not saying they will, nor do I know NCL policies. Talk to customer service, and ask for a supervisor if that person says no.

Just a story about this kind of thing, but flying.

My nephew adopted a child from Russia and got back to the US just before his sister's wedding in Mexico. The new parents decided to surprise the whole family and fly to the wedding. When they landed in Mexico, the officials there refused them entry said the baby had a Russian passport that was valid but not a visa to enter Mexico. The parents were very upset and finally my nephew held up the baby (about a year old) and said "look, THIS is the Russian!!" And they made an exception and allowed the whole family to enter the country and go to the wedding. Too bad that won't work on your cruise. But at least it might show that sometimes officials do have hearts and adjust to the situation.

Good luck with your cruise and that is a lucky child!!!

I gt the same hint from Travelguard... You are not covered under insurance. So, either take the baby on the cruise, or take the loss.

I have just been through a situation, not lime ours except that there was not a reason a thru k to cancel.

Archived