Escargot Report

There is a large marine snail called scungilli which may be easier to find and is much better. We sold it in the seafood section of the market I used to work in. It is prepared in a savory marinara sauce with garlic and herbs. They are as large as a golf ball and when cooked right are truly wonderful. Much better than your usual escargot.

Bob:)

never heard of them. makes my mouth water though.

Just returned from 2 weeks trans-Atlantic crossing from Harwich England.

They were on the menu EVERY NIGHT, except one night.

I asked waiter "WHY" they were not on the menu that night???

His reply was "just too many other appetizers...you want them?"

I said "Sure", and he brought them to me..so, basically,

everynight, of a 2 week trans-Atlantic cruise....

YUM! :D

No shortage on the "BRILLIANCE of the SEAS" :)

There is a large marine snail called scungilli which may be easier to find and is much better. We sold it in the seafood section of the market I used to work in. It is prepared in a savory marinara sauce with garlic and herbs. They are as large as a golf ball and when cooked right are truly wonderful. Much better than your usual escargot.

Bob:)

I will have to try scungilli because the escargot on the ships taste like garlic-flavored rubber balls. Blech!!!:D

Its funny that people think they are fancy gourmets and like to eat escargot.

In fact what they really like is only the Butter & Bread crumbs its smothered in.

I want to see someone eat the snails plain...

You can say that about most food. It's the sauce that makes the dish! I could make a meal out of some bread and that sauce. I'm not trying to be a "fancy gourmet", I just know what I like.

If it's not for you, don't order it. Simple enough.

BTW, Escargot has been available on every cruise I have been on.

Edited by Gilgo Surfer

Oasis

31 August Western

Scallop substitute on menu for night 2, first formal night

Available night 5, 2nd formal night, per recommendation of waiter, not on printed menu.

I was the only one at the table to order escargot. When arrived others commented.... 'those were not on the menu' I told them that I ordered per recommendation of waiter and they all commented 'Ohh...I did not hear that'

It pays to actually listen to the waiter's nightly presentation prior to ordering.

• 2 weeks later...

AHOY SHIPMATES,

Just returned from Carnival Fascination ( 3 times in Sept ) ESCARGO was on menu every time.

After reading this thread, (I have been a cook/chef for 50 years)

I decided to try them for the first time.

I like BUTTER. I like GARLIC. Bread crumbs are OK. The chewy lumps of "stuff" in the middle of it were not bad but rather tasteless. Would I order them again? YES! unless there were Shrimp on the menu.

Thank you for helping me lose my Escargo virginity at my age.

Independence of the seas 21st sep-3rd oct 2013 med cruise they were available every night I had them a few times after trying them for the first time. It did state on the menu they may not always be available due to a worldwide shortage you wouldn't think it the amount in my garden at night lol xx

AHOY SHIPMATES,

Just returned from Carnival Fascination ( 3 times in Sept ) ESCARGO was on menu every time.

After reading this thread, (I have been a cook/chef for 50 years)

I decided to try them for the first time.

I like BUTTER. I like GARLIC. Bread crumbs are OK. The chewy lumps of "stuff" in the middle of it were not bad but rather tasteless. Would I order them again? YES! unless there were Shrimp on the menu.

Thank you for helping me lose my Escargo virginity at my age.

Congratulations! :)

Sept 8 -29, Explorer had them on the Captain's Table menu. I got them several nights at our regular MDR table just by asking the head waiter. They were never on the regular menu.

BTW, Princess and Celebrity have never felt the so called shortage. The Ruby, out of PE, had them on their menu in March of this year and the Coral, too, out of Alaska.

Last Nov & Dec's TA, they were routinely on the Silhouette menu.

Edited by Tagsalong

The reason escargot may or not be available is simple. It takes a lonnnng time to round up the little critters and herd them to the ship.If they arrive late the ship will sail leaving the escargot coralled at the dockside waiting for the next ship.Then begins the long haul up the gangway guided by the saddle weary snailhands.

Selswick

BTW, Princess and Celebrity have never felt the so called shortage. The Ruby, out of PE, had them on their menu in March of this year and the Coral, too, out of Alaska.

Carnival has them too. Why is Royal Caribbean the only one having a "shortage"?

the reason escargot may or not be available is simple. It takes a lonnnng time to round up the little critters and herd them to the ship.if they arrive late the ship will sail leaving the escargot coralled at the dockside waiting for the next ship.then begins the long haul up the gangway guided by the saddle weary snailhands.

Selswick

lol!!!!!!

For recent sailings and forward, lets keep a running list of escargot availibility. Maybe we can figure out some trends!

If interested in sharing:

-Post your ship

-sail date

-yes or no for availibility of escargot

Adventure of the Seas

13th- 29th Sept

Available every night.

Sept 8 -29, Explorer had them on the Captain's Table menu. I got them several nights at our regular MDR table just by asking the head waiter. They were never on the regular menu.

Celebrity had them on their nightly menu long before Royal. We took Celebrity Summit 14-day cruise on 9/7 and really looked forward to escargot. Celebrity no longer had them on their nightly menu. They were not available at all "due to shortage"--and we did ask. They now have mushrooms fixed the same way--good, but not the same thing at all (although I liked them better than the teeny tiny scallops Royal has). Very disappointed.