South America

irenet

We are looking for advice going on a cruise to South America with 2 days in Lima can we get to Maccu Piccu and back in that time by doing a tour with a shore based company, as the shore excursion from the ship is very very pricey, if anyone can help we would appreciate it.

We went on a Baltic Cruise earlier this year and Cruise Critic recommended SPB tours and they were excellent, except for leaving us behind in Berlin.

Irenet

We were not able to find one.

As a result, we have decided to fly into Lima, spend time in Peru (including a Machu Pichu tour), and then fly to Chile for some pre cruise touring.

I think that is a better plan as you will have more time in Machu Pichu.

I agree that 2 days is too tight, with the best will in the world infrastructure in Peru is problematic, flights commonly delayed and it would be a shame to miss one of the great wonders of the world (IMO).

We flew to Lima last year, did a tour to MP with Peru for Less, a US based company who have local staff in Lima and Cusco, and then spent a couple of nights in Santiago Chile before boarding the Veendam. All good, and I highly recommend PFL, they were just great. We would have liked to have spent longer in both Peru and Chile, we loved it.

If you were insisting on doing it in the 2 days I would go with the HAL tour because they will have to get you to the next port in the event of any delays.

We came to the same conclusion. We need at least a week, not 2 days.

We also found that we could get a much better tour by booking with a reputable local tour company. Less cost per diem, much more flexible arrangements, fewer people on the trip, and all of the money stays with the locals in Peru. We are doing the same in Chile, and in Argentina.

Cuzco, Machu Picchu, and the valley area are worth a trip of their own. There isn't enough time to get to MP and back in two days. It's a 2-3 hour train ride depending on where you get on, plus an hour for the bus up to MP, plus the flight from Lima to Cuzco and associated air travel time issues.

After doing all that to get up there, you don't want to run around for two hours, then get hustled back out.

Peru is not an expensive country to visit on a land tour, and it's an exceptionally enjoyable vacation.

Considered this myself and found we could buy a two week tour which included Machu Pichu for what the ship's tour was going to cost.

(Same experience on another line with a tour to the Taj Mahal off the ship)

Both of those remain on the bucket list as I agree with those who say that the timing is too short.

Considered this myself and found we could buy a two week tour which included Machu Pichu for what the ship's tour was going to cost.

(Same experience on another line with a tour to the Taj Mahal off the ship)

Both of those remain on the bucket list as I agree with those who say that the timing is too short.

Interesting - same is true for the HAL tour to see the Xian warriors in China. You can book 1st class air and hotel with a several day river cruise for the price of the HAL tour.

Archived