4Day Cruise Golden Princess Blog 9/26-9/30

trbarton

When we were in Ensenada in may we did this Casa Dona Lupe, L.A. Cetto & Wine Tasting tour and everyone got 1 free bottle...we actually received several due to some fellow cruisers who were traveling home by air didn't want to take them back :)

Awesome! That is definitely something new. It'll seem weird for my 20-something sons to get a bottle of wine. Guess I better buy them a wine bottle opener. lol Thanks.

Great Cruise just too short! Very choppy first night, but in LA my friends had a 40 yr old tree uprooted that same night from the winds.Saw lots of seals, dolphins and about a dozen whales in the first hour sailing from Ensinada......

Hi,

I was on this same cruise and had a wonderful time. I agree that the cruise was too short, but I was very pleased with the Golden Princess. The ship is very well maintained and the food and service were great. Also, I really enjoyed the entertainment (including three different production shows). I also liked my balcony stateroom (B518) and its convenient location.

Chuck

It's very typical for there to be border patrol-type hold-ups at the Port of LA. I don't know what it is; I used to think it was because they were short-staffed all the time but then recently, it seems to have been security issues that have caused the delays. Either way, allow extra time to get to the airport when coming into, or out of, LA especially when it's the ship's first run on a new itinerary.

The bottle of wine per person on the Ensenada winery tour is new. It wasn't that way before. Interesting!

We each got a bottle of wine 1 1/2 years ago during our New Year's cruise on the Sapphire Princess. :)

Great blog! I am even more excited now for our cruise in two months aboard the Golden Princess. Thanks for sharing your experience and the photos.

Although I am hoping there won't be any men wearing thong speedos on our cruise :eek:

DSC_0304_zps07a17b1b.jpg

I noticed in the Patters that the pizzaria was called a smokehouse BBQ after 6pm. Did you check that out?

No I did not check out the Pizzaria. I was surprised that their was no Pizza restaurant in the Atrium like on the Grand.

Tom

Do you have the Patters for the Sea day. You accidentally pasted the Ensenada day Patters twice. You posted the timeline for Ensenada once under the Sea Day(posts #42 & #43) and the other correctly under Ensenada Day. TIA

OK I'll repost...Tom:)

img063_zpsefeca566.jpg

img068_zps1e9ab9ab.jpg

img065_zps7ee4e670.jpg

img066_zpsf3860658.jpg

Rosefloater, I don't know if anyone answer your quetion about formal night, but you are right. We discussed this at our table of "8" since some of us had brought our nice clothes with us. We decided to have our OWN formal night, and we did at our table. The surprise to me was, I seen so many others dressed up that night (sea night) also. I think most of the people that were dressed up thought since it was sea night, it was formal night, and it all worked out anyway.

TRBarton, you are writing the blog, and we happened to be on the same cruise as you. I haven't read much of your blog, but when you mentioned about using a private transfer, and it caused you a delay, that reminded me of what we did. I book through my TA here in Kansas City for a transfer. I never know what or who the transfer will be, but this time, it was through Princess. I will say Princess was ready for us EARLY in the morning when we arrived. They actually seen us coming down to get our luggage and ask our names, as we both were together, and I think they were looking for us. We took an early fight, as we did not want to be delayed as you were, for when the ship left.

Thanks for posting the platters. I saw ads for a "Crab Shack" dinner at $20 but can't find any mention of it in Princess dining info. Do you know what it is?

Never saw the Crab Shack as I usually eat in the MDR. I assume it was a crab dinner thus they charged $20. Perhaps someone else tried it out and will post.

Tom:)

Thanks for posting the platters. I saw ads for a "Crab Shack" dinner at $20 but can't find any mention of it in Princess dining info. Do you know what it is?

There is a post somewhere here that had the menu......not a whole lot of crab listed on it though.

I know that the Golden does not have the Alfredo's pizza as some of the other ships do. We loved it on the Sapphire and ate there several times. To my knowledge, the only pizza is by the pool (that's very good too):)

Question, is there a separate pizzeria or just the counter service pizza. Not really all that important but the pizza is usually very good.

Archived