Cruising with carry on only

prbmami

I'll be going on a short 4 day cruise next month and I'm contemplating bringing carry on luggage only since I will be driving to the port. Please give me your opinion and experience with taking carry on. And I am aware liquor is not allowed but are there any other items that will not be able to go through security that I should be worried about?

We have cruised with carry on only for years. We just returned from a twelve day cruise plus three pre-cruise days with one carry on each. It makes travelling so much easier, IMHO. It is learning to mix and match and getting over the idea that you need a completely different outfit each day and night.

As for security, if it will pass the airport, it will pass cruise security, except liquor, irons, coffee pots, candles, etc. Those items are listed on CCLs page. Individual ports can vary in terms of confiscating items such as fans, multi plugs and such, but that just is part of the dance.

You should have no trouble with a four day carryon adventure and you will enjoy having that last evening without the worries of packing.

I just got back from a 7 day cruise and used carry on only. Our first cruise we brought so many clothes that we didn't even end up wearing. And like a previous poster mix and match clothes. It was delightful doing the self assist option to get off the boat. Less wait and lines and crowds!

9/2012 - 7 day Mexican Rivera on the Splendor

9/2013 - 7 day Western Caribbean on the Magic

I wash my undies and socks out each evening. Even if I have sufficient undies with me, it cuts down on odor. Some folks are averse to washing on vacation, but to me it's no biggie-it's not like a whole load! And for longer cruises there is laundry service, which is cheaper than the fee for extra baggage, if you are flying. We get free laundry as a perk, but even if we didn't I would avail myself of it rather than overpack.

It has gotten to be a quest, almost, to see how lean I can pack. Yes, it's a sickness ;)

This spring completed 2 months of travel in 1 carry-on each, DH had a back pack & I had a big-a@@ purse!

We did 7 nights by car, 11 night TA cruise, 30 days in Europe by train, 1 week at Disney and 5 night by car home. Did I miss anything - nope. I carried it all from bottles of wine to a coffee maker, real wine glasses, flatware, paper plates, creamers, truvia, umbrellas, 2 netbooks, 2 kindles, an 8' extension cord with multi plug end, a sm fan - the list goes on. I also had all of my own shampoo, conditioner, body wash etc...

Never had a problem with anything at any security point.

Traveling with carry-on only is the ONLY way we travel!

Try it - you'll like it!

After years of cruising...lots of money spent...My DH and I made Platinum. Priority boarding. With my having RA, this is a huge perk.

So..last cruise on the Breeze. Two weeks ago. When disembarking. A zoo. Hundreds and hundreds of Carry Off ( and I use the term lightly) passengers. Blended in with the Priority and FTTF passengers. Some pushing suitcases as big as twin bed mattresses. bright pink too.

Families. Papa pushing a big case. Mama pushing a big case. Children pushing a big suitcase. Granny pushing a medium one..toddling along.

It was a mad house. shoving and pushing. Finally someone came in and said that the Priority people had to be let off. So they did. Pushing and shoving on the escalator. I almost fell. scared the wits out of me.

I am a Carnival cheerleader. Obviously for the times I have sailed with them....But no more BREEZE for me. Actually..........no more Carnival for a while.

Someone is going to get hurt in those madhouses of Self Assist passengers. A big lawsuit will follow. Then......Carnival will go back to One small bag..or at least smaller than a bed mattress. ( how they got those giant mattresses size suitcases down that escalator ..I don't know. And they would not fit in the elevator. No way.

Self Assist has become the new priority disembarking class.

You don't have to pay for it

You don't have to earn it

It is not a perk for loyality.

There are no rules.

If you are physically able..............you would be a fool NOT to do it.

This spring completed 2 months of travel in 1 carry-on each, DH had a back pack & I had a big-a@@ purse!

We did 7 nights by car, 11 night TA cruise, 30 days in Europe by train, 1 week at Disney and 5 night by car home. Did I miss anything - nope. I carried it all from bottles of wine to a coffee maker, real wine glasses, flatware, paper plates, creamers, truvia, umbrellas, 2 netbooks, 2 kindles, an 8' extension cord with multi plug end, a sm fan - the list goes on. I also had all of my own shampoo, conditioner, body wash etc...

Never had a problem with anything at any security point.

Traveling with carry-on only is the ONLY way we travel!

Try it - you'll like it!

In other words, you travel nudist style:eek: What room was left for clothes?

After years of cruising...lots of money spent...My DH and I made Platinum. Priority boarding. With my having RA, this is a huge perk.

So..last cruise on the Breeze. Two weeks ago. When disembarking. A zoo. Hundreds and hundreds of Carry Off ( and I use the term lightly) passengers. Blended in with the Priority and FTTF passengers. Some pushing suitcases as big as twin bed mattresses. bright pink too.

Families. Papa pushing a big case. Mama pushing a big case. Children pushing a big suitcase. Granny pushing a medium one..toddling along.

It was a mad house. shoving and pushing. Finally someone came in and said that the Priority people had to be let off. So they did. Pushing and shoving on the escalator. I almost fell. scared the wits out of me.

I am a Carnival cheerleader. Obviously for the times I have sailed with them....But no more BREEZE for me. Actually..........no more Carnival for a while.

Someone is going to get hurt in those madhouses of Self Assist passengers. A big lawsuit will follow. Then......Carnival will go back to One small bag..or at least smaller than a bed mattress. ( how they got those giant mattresses size suitcases down that escalator ..I don't know. And they would not fit in the elevator. No way.

I had to take the elevator when we got off the Breeze. I can go up an escalator fine but have always been terrified of going down one. I can't imagine going down an escalator with a lot of luggage.

Did self-assist debark last cruise on the Breeze. It was da' bomb! We pack one larger rolling suitcase for our clothes and one smaller rolling suitcase for our gear. Did not experience the crowds described above. Went very orderly. There is an elevator if you do not want to drag your bags down the escalator. Off the ship and through customs in 15 minutes flat.

First 4 cruises I woefully over packed... what a pain. We are continually refining and reducing our stuff. This upcoming cruise I've challenged myself to not purchase any NEW clothes. We'll see how that goes. ;)

I love a challenge. We leave in a week on the Fantasy and I am going to pack a carry-on only. Let's see how this goes. I usually pack like 6 pairs of flip flips/sandals, sneakers and 2 pairs of dress shoes in footwear alone. I'm gonna pack 1 pair of flip flops and 1 pair of dress shoes, a few sundresses, bathing suit, toiletries and a jacket (of course daily under clothing) all in my thirty-one weekender bag. I'll pack a large purse with make-up, sodas, and my wine bottle. I plan on having my packing done by tomorrow night because we are leaving for SC on Thurs. So, we'll see how it goes! :D:cool:

In other words, you travel nudist style:eek: What room was left for clothes?

I also, did not get this. I need a carry on just for my shoes....lol.

I am actually considering getting smaller bags! Here is what we had

WP_20130522_001.jpg

This included 4 bottles of wine, 2 glass wine glasses, a small coffee maker with coffee, creamers the little liquid ones, sugar, a supply of paper plates, salt, pepper, real silverware, 2 netbooks, 2 kindles, 2 umbrellas, a twin size flat sheet, all of my own shampoo, conditioner, bodywash, etc..., a sport coat & zippered sweater for DH (think layers), 3 prs of shoes for me (white dressy sneakers, sandals black strappy kitten heel) and 2 for DH, (1 black walking 1 sandal) plus all of our clothes. We did laundry 3 times in a laundromat and I washed some things by hand at night.

I don't skimp on comfort things when I travel and I take only the clothes I know I am going to wear.

I use packing cubes for most things except pants - they go in the bottom. I have 3 long jersey knit dresses and 2 short ones that travel really well. I can wear them with heels for dressy or sneakers (not gym type but cute white ones) and short dressy socks or sandals for casual. The long dresses are nice as they are pretty warm in cooler weather. I am not a fan of pants and generally choose a dress unless it is really cold. I had 1 pr pants, 2 prs shorts, 4 shirts, 5 dresses, 1 sweater & all the base garments. I carry a good supply of costume jewelry to dress things up.

DH had 4 prs of pants, 2 prs shorts & 8 shirts.

Plus swimwear - we spent 2 weeks in FL at the end of trip.

It just takes some practice - we haven't checked a bag in almost 15 years. I have everything in travel sizes - my poor 3-1-1 bags are stuffed to capacity!

I wash my undies and socks out each evening. Even if I have sufficient undies with me, it cuts down on odor. Some folks are averse to washing on vacation, but to me it's no biggie-it's not like a whole load! And for longer cruises there is laundry service, which is cheaper than the fee for extra baggage, if you are flying. We get free laundry as a perk, but even if we didn't I would avail myself of it rather than overpack.

It has gotten to be a quest, almost, to see how lean I can pack. Yes, it's a sickness ;)

Thanks for the info on the ODOR.

Thank you all for the great replies! I'm even more excited now about the idea of not having to drag around a large suitcase when I disembark with self assist.

But I am a chronic over packer and I can't get over the idea cutting back. Would I have any problems boarding with a roller carry on, a duffle bag, and a large purse or will I be told to check one of the bags?

Since we live in FL, we drive to the ports. Since we drive, packing for airline travel isn't a concern. I'm on vacation, so I'm not going to worry about doing laundry and other logistics involved with carrying my belongings in a lunch box. I have to worry about things like that at work, so on vaca, I choose to give my mind a break and pack large.

Self assist is allowed to, but does not have to debark the earliest. We self assist and are among the last to leave the ship.

If the suitcases are smaller than a wheelchair they will get on the elevator, just not too many of them. There will be a long line at the elevator.

OP-check out the Fashion and Beauty board. Many threads on packing light. This is a good one to get you started-

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1687293&highlight=carryon

Packing is the ultimate mind game. Decide that you can only take what will fill up the suitcase and nothing more. Then it becomes a big game of Tetris.:D

-Mix and match, neutral bottoms with different tops. Choose a color scheme. Black & White, Navy & White, Chocolate and Cream.

Everything has to go with at least two other items. Plan around a signature piece. For me it's a cardigan, everything has to go with my chosen cardigan.

A good tip is to wear a clean top at night then rewear it the next day.

No one is going to remember what you wore before.

-Limit shoes. Walking, sandals, water

-Bring travel size toiletries. Only bring what is needed. Decant & resize when necessary. From experience I know how many uses I can get from a travel sized toothpaste. I know DH gets less uses.

DH's list for a four day trip is, including when we are embarking/debarking. We usually take LA public transportation to port-

2 pair pants

Dark brown leather walking shoes.

4 shirts

underwear, socks

toothbrush, razor, deodorant.

(Depending on Itin he might also bring a pair shorts, a pair swim trunks and a pair of sandals.)

My clothing list is a touch longer, but not by much.

I'm still working on our med kit. It weighs more than all my clothes combined. But we have used something out of it every trip we have taken.

Self Assist has become the new priority disembarking class.

You don't have to pay for it

You don't have to earn it

It is not a perk for loyality.

There are no rules.

If you are physically able..............you would be a fool NOT to do it.

I don't do it, specifically for the reason listed above. I kick back with breakfast by the adult pool and read a book until I have to get off the ship. No lines or shoving at that point in time. 2 minute walk to the car and then I'm on my way home. no need to hurry.

Archived