Cruising with carry on only

prbmami

So one self assists. One has to roll/carry/drag something onboard....WHY?, to save a little time? Save a few dollar bills in tips? Are we not all on vacation? A few bucks spent for a porter to take a couple of bags at the port is better then parking then rolling/carrying/dragging from the parking lot to the terminal, thru the terminal, thru security, up the escalators/elevators, down the path to the ship, on the ship, up/down the elevator, then down the passageway to the cabin....whewwww. Then reversing all that to leave? Again, WHY when you do not have to keep up with any bag and start enjoying your vacation a bit earlier...

Too many CONS in self assist if you ask me....What's an hour more or less to not have to drag bags all around...especially if you drive to the port ???

You already have spent the best price for a cruise.....Slow down and smell the roses a bit, and enjoy life when you can.....:)

Since we live in FL, we drive to the ports. Since we drive, packing for airline travel isn't a concern. I'm on vacation, so I'm not going to worry about doing laundry and other logistics involved with carrying my belongings in a lunch box. I have to worry about things like that at work, so on vaca, I choose to give my mind a break and pack large.

I agree even if we are flying

We all went to Europe and there was one couple who made a big deal that they packed light , they did pack light and it was easy getting around for them

We also got some great pics at Really nice restaurants. They looked like hobos by the 3 rd week. Wrinkled hobos. Epic pics

This included 4 bottles of wine, 2 glass wine glasses, a small coffee maker with coffee, creamers the little liquid ones, sugar, a supply of paper plates, salt, pepper, real silverware, 2 netbooks, 2 kindles, 2 umbrellas, a twin size flat sheet, all of my own shampoo, conditioner, bodywash, etc..., a sport coat & zippered sweater for DH (think layers), 3 prs of shoes for me (white dressy sneakers, sandals black strappy kitten heel) and 2 for DH, (1 black walking 1 sandal) plus all of our clothes. We did laundry 3 times in a laundromat and I washed some things by hand at night.

I don't skimp on comfort things when I travel and I take only the clothes I know I am going to wear.

I use packing cubes for most things except pants - they go in the bottom. I have 3 long jersey knit dresses and 2 short ones that travel really well. I can wear them with heels for dressy or sneakers (not gym type but cute white ones) and short dressy socks or sandals for casual. The long dresses are nice as they are pretty warm in cooler weather. I am not a fan of pants and generally choose a dress unless it is really cold. I had 1 pr pants, 2 prs shorts, 4 shirts, 5 dresses, 1 sweater & all the base garments. I carry a good supply of costume jewelry to dress things up.

DH had 4 prs of pants, 2 prs shorts & 8 shirts.

Plus swimwear - we spent 2 weeks in FL at the end of trip.

It just takes some practice - we haven't checked a bag in almost 15 years. I have everything in travel sizes - my poor 3-1-1 bags are stuffed to capacity!

Wow, that is way too much. You need to downsize. For my last cruise the only thing I brought on board was a ziploc sandwich bag with 4 wet naps. For my next cruise I am going to downsize to a snack bag. ;)

This spring completed 2 months of travel in 1 carry-on each, DH had a back pack & I had a big-a@@ purse!

We did 7 nights by car, 11 night TA cruise, 30 days in Europe by train, 1 week at Disney and 5 night by car home. Did I miss anything - nope. I carried it all from bottles of wine to a coffee maker, real wine glasses, flatware, paper plates, creamers, truvia, umbrellas, 2 netbooks, 2 kindles, an 8' extension cord with multi plug end, a sm fan - the list goes on. I also had all of my own shampoo, conditioner, body wash etc...

Never had a problem with anything at any security point.

Traveling with carry-on only is the ONLY way we travel!

Try it - you'll like it!

Wow, I'm in awe of this. We (dh, dd then 4 ds then 9 months) did three weeks in Italy (but stayed with friends in military housing for close to two weeks of it) and managed only my purse, a Rick Steve's mega-wonderful backpack, regular backpack, and car seat. Never managed to do it again. But your list is an inspiration to me, maybe once the last of the kids are gone I can manage that.

Love your location line, BTW-- if I ever strike it rich-- man, that's what I'll be doing.

So one self assists. One has to roll/carry/drag something onboard....WHY?, to save a little time? Save a few dollar bills in tips? Are we not all on vacation? A few bucks spent for a porter to take a couple of bags at the port is better then parking then rolling/carrying/dragging from the parking lot to the terminal, thru the terminal, thru security, up the escalators/elevators, down the path to the ship, on the ship, up/down the elevator, then down the passageway to the cabin....whewwww. Then reversing all that to leave? Again, WHY when you do not have to keep up with any bag and start enjoying your vacation a bit earlier...

Too many CONS in self assist if you ask me....What's an hour more or less to not have to drag bags all around...especially if you drive to the port ???

You already have spent the best price for a cruise.....Slow down and smell the roses a bit, and enjoy life when you can.....:)

I was about to nominate CapeCod for a prize when I saw this!! Hysterical! My purse alone gets so heavy with the champagne and other stuff I won't put in checked bags!

Traveling solo and being near the port I have the luxury not to worry about the airlines etc. Hauling 2 pieces of luggage, one large, one small while managing not to loose my big purse is a sad picture at debarkation. I have stopped taking the shoes to excess, now only flip flops which I wear to board, good walking sandals, and one pair for elegant night.

OP, only carry ons for a 4 day should be very easy! You can take as many pieces as you want (and can lug) as long as they fit through the carry on size thing.

Not nearly the chore you describe - 1 rolling bag & 1 purse. I don't do it to save money - I don't like being separated from my bag - I KNOW I will not drop it into the ocean or lose it - can't guarantee someone else won't! After several close calls with checked bags we decided to stick with what we can carry - especially if traveling Europe by train - 1 bag is plenty.

We also have FTTF so bags go straight to cabin now - love that.

We debark at our leisure, generally pretty late when the crowds have thinned.

My cruises have been on the shorter ones because of going solo, but so far, always drop off the suitcase. I've never self carried it off. The part that drives me nuts is wondering if anyone picked up my bag by accident while it sits waiting to be picked up. I've read how easy this could happen when others debarking are just grab and go.

Archived