Different Quality Liquors

dmk

Up until past March on the Eclipse, I always ordered Grey Goose Vodka in my drinks. There has never been an extra fee for this brand. On this last cruise, I was charged extra for Grey Goose.

Has anyone else noticed an extra fee for quality liquors?

There has always been an extra charge for 'premium' liquors. If you are putting a 'premium' vodka in a mixed drink with fruit, tomato or other fruit juices...or some fancy drink with vodka, the only reason to order a 'name brand' vodka is to try to impress whoever you are drinking with. I drink stoli elit up on the ship...but if i order a bloody mary, i dont care what vodka they use.

There has always been an extra charge for 'premium' liquors. If you are putting a 'premium' vodka in a mixed drink with fruit, tomato or other fruit juices...or some fancy drink with vodka, the only reason to order a 'name brand' vodka is to try to impress whoever you are drinking with. I drink stoli elit up on the ship...but if i order a bloody mary, i dont care what vodka they use.

I beg to differ. I cruise Celebrity twice a year and have never before been charged extra for a premium vodka. Perhaps, I had some very generous bartenters on my previous cruises:rolleyes:

I do not order greygoose to impress anyone...only for my enjoyment. We, obviously, differ on our opinions.

I agree that if you add anything, other than water, or drink it straight up, there is really no reason to go for a "premium" liquor. You've already lost the true taste by adding tonic, soda, orange juice, tomato juice etc. when I was younger the "in" drinks were T & T, 7 & 7 - of course requiring higher priced booze.

I think Celebrity serves extremely good "rail" booze. :D

Goose is my preference also.

I have always paid a premium on board for Goose as opposed to Absolute.

We cruise 4-5 times each year.

Maybe you have been lucky in the past....

I guess I have been fortunate at the Martini Bars.

Thank you. That was the kind of answer I was looking for. NOT a discussion on the pros on cons of drinking premium liquor.

Of course, someone could start a new thread on that.

I seldom drink mixed drinks, other than some of the fruity martinis, so I can't say if there has been a change in pricing policy.

I will say that Grey Goose isn't part of the Classic plan as it's considered top shelf - although some might argue barely. If you look at the descriptions of the classic beverage plans (click here) you'll notice that there is word in the first paragraph of the descriptions is highlighted and will link to a list of most of the included spirits. This is a small guideline of what will be within the $8 limit of the classic plan and what is priced above that. Also, there is a Vodka menu available for the Crush bar on this page which lists prices for plain vodka shots.

As for the use of top shelf spirits in mixed drinks: I definitely can taste the difference in martinis, even fruity ones like an Appletini or a Cosmo, and in some other mixed drinks. Less so in a bloody mary but it still makes a difference to me using a decent quality vodka like Absolut (nice call brand but not top shelf) as opposed to a well brand. So I do believe that nice quality spirits make a difference. I also understand that mid to top shelf spirits are distilled better so that they have fewer impurities and therefore are less likely to cause a hangover.

I read it on the internet so it must be true!:cool:

Website Article: Why Cheap Booze Makes Your Hangover So Horrible

What is the real question?

You pay for the type of liquor you order. If you order a premium liquor you will pay a premium price. If you order a mixed drink using premium liquor you will be charged extra for the premium liquor. :confused:

If you have a classic bev pack you will get well drinks and non premium liquors and beers that they consider are in that class. It is what they determine as premium. Here in Mi Heineken is a premium beer on board it isn't.

If you have a premium drink pack you will get the drinks as they are made at that bar unless you request a premium liquor that is included in the premium pack.

Ex. If you order a Cosmo at a regular bar it will be made with Absolute and Trip Sec. At the Martini bar it will be with Grey Goose and Cointreau, found this out when in the theater. We had the premium pack, ordered a Cosmo, it wasn't the same as the one we just had at the Martini Bar. We asked the BT at the Martini bar why it was different and was told that is how they make it and it didn't matter what pack we had.

Years ago Aboslute was considered a premium Vodka now it isn't. Marketing has made Grey Goose a premium, is it? It all depends on waht people perceive, if it cost more it must be better. I find Tito or 3 Olives much better for a lower price and when it comes to drinking I don't spare any expense., for the same price of Grey Goose Belvedere, Stoli or Ketel One are about equal but I think are also overated. Many will tell me that I am a snob and when mixing drinks you shouldn't use good stuff becasue it is a waste, but they all like the way that the drinks I make taste. The quality does affect the taste, garbage in is garbage out.

What is the real question?

You pay for the type of liquor you order. If you order a premium liquor you will pay a premium price. If you order a mixed drink using premium liquor you will be charged extra for the premium liquor. :confused:

If you have a classic bev pack you will get well drinks and non premium liquors and beers that they consider are in that class. It is what they determine as premium. Here in Mi Heineken is a premium beer on board it isn't.

If you have a premium drink pack you will get the drinks as they are made at that bar unless you request a premium liquor that is included in the premium pack.

Ex. If you order a Cosmo at a regular bar it will be made with Absolute and Trip Sec. At the Martini bar it will be with Grey Goose and Cointreau, found this out when in the theater. We had the premium pack, ordered a Cosmo, it wasn't the same as the one we just had at the Martini Bar. We asked the BT at the Martini bar why it was different and was told that is how they make it and it didn't matter what pack we had.

Years ago Aboslute was considered a premium Vodka now it isn't. Marketing has made Grey Goose a premium, is it? It all depends on waht people perceive, if it cost more it must be better. I find Tito or 3 Olives much better for a lower price and when it comes to drinking I don't spare any expense., for the same price of Grey Goose Belvedere, Stoli or Ketel One are about equal but I think are also overated. Many will tell me that I am a snob and when mixing drinks you shouldn't use good stuff becasue it is a waste, but they all like the way that the drinks I make taste. The quality does affect the taste, garbage in is garbage out.

Agree, with your notes on mixed drinks, but beg to differ on the statement that Heineken is a premium beer. It's day as a premium is long past. You can get it for US$15.88 for a 24 case in Atlanta.

• 3 weeks later...

On the various threads with many bar menus, most of the menus have prices for the "fancier" drinks. What about prices for a standard Gin and Tonic, Bloody Mary, Rum and Coke etc. A typical mixed drink? I know price is different depending on the quality of the liquor but I can't seem to find that list anywhere. Tanguerey and Tonic? Sapphire and Tonic? Trying to decide whether to upgrade the beverage package or not on our Silhouette cruise.

Agree, with your notes on mixed drinks, but beg to differ on the statement that Heineken is a premium beer. It's day as a premium is long past. You can get it for US$15.88 for a 24 case in Atlanta.

In Michigan you can't even get a case of Bud that cheap. Heineken is $18. 99 for a case of 18 at Costco. Most beers other than those from Bud Or Miller sell for at least $24 per case and go up from there if you can find cases. Most places sell 6 packs of micro brews or imports starting at $8.99

On the various threads with many bar menus, most of the menus have prices for the "fancier" drinks. What about prices for a standard Gin and Tonic, Bloody Mary, Rum and Coke etc. A typical mixed drink? I know price is different depending on the quality of the liquor but I can't seem to find that list anywhere. Tanguerey and Tonic? Sapphire and Tonic? Trying to decide whether to upgrade the beverage package or not on our Silhouette cruise.

I'm not sure of the prices of those drinks but if you are asking purely to decide between the Classic and Premium package then you can get most of the info on which spirits are included in which package from Celebrity's web site. Look at the Celebrity package descriptions on this link: click here

You'll see that a word in the first paragraph of each package description is underlined - that is a link that will take you to a representative list of the spirits, as well as soft drinks and beers, included in that package.

If a spirit is included in a package then basic drinks such as the ones you've asked about will be if they are made with that spirit. Not every spirit offered on board is listed but most of the more common ones are.

It is always interesting to read and hear about posts involving taste, regardless of whether alcohol of food. The US goverment has a definition of vodka, as follows.

The U.S. Government definition of vodka reads as follows:

Sec. 5.22 The standards of identity.

Standards of identity for the several classes and types of distilled spirits set forth in this section shall be as follows (see also Sec. 5.35, class and type):

(a) Class 1: neutral spirits or alcohol. “Neutral spirits” or “alcohol” are distilled spirits produced from any material at or above 190[deg] proof, and, if bottled, bottled at not less than 80[deg] proof.

(1) “Vodka” is neutral spirits so distilled, or so treated after distillation with charcoal or other materials, as to be without distinctive character, aroma, taste, or color.

----------------------------------------------------------

So the US government says it doesn't have distinctive taste, yet we have numerous posts that say that they can taste the difference. Maybe that explains why the government is in such disarray.:(

I agree that if you add anything, other than water, or drink it straight up, there is really no reason to go for a "premium" liquor. You've already lost the true taste by adding tonic, soda, orange juice, tomato juice etc. when I was younger the "in" drinks were T & T, 7 & 7 - of course requiring higher priced booze.

I think Celebrity serves extremely good "rail" booze. :D

I agree! It's hard to tell the difference once you start mixing the "good stuff".

I once read a story in a financial magazine that was focused on grey goose.

I remember the statement that their business was based on having "the best tasting" brand in a product that has NO TASTE. The writer was impressed that it was all about marketing.

Now, whether it tastes different or not, the extra distillation DOES reportedly improve the "hangover" effect by removing more impurities.

Your mileage may vary, and drink what you like.

I usually follow the mantra, if it costs more it MUST be better, my wife would, of course, not agree lol.

I once read a story in a financial magazine that was focused on grey goose.

I remember the statement that their business was based on having "the best tasting" brand in a product that has NO TASTE. The writer was impressed that it was all about marketing.

Now, whether it tastes different or not, the extra distillation DOES reportedly improve the "hangover" effect by removing more impurities.

I read that if you take the chepest vodka and run it thru a Brita Water Filter you will have a premium vodka. Never tried it but it makes sense.

.🎃

Archived