Query about banned items on QM2

whiteladder42

We are travelling Southampton to New York in December and want to take crackers with us for Christmas after we arrive. I have searched the Internet but it thinks I mean graham crackers rather than the paper ones you pull and get a hat and a bad joke! Does anyone know if they are allowed to be taken on board and more importantly, will they be confiscated at US customs at the other end?

We are travelling Southampton to New York in December and want to take crackers with us for Christmas after we arrive. I have searched the Internet but it thinks I mean graham crackers rather than the paper ones you pull and get a hat and a bad joke! Does anyone know if they are allowed to be taken on board and more importantly, will they be confiscated at US customs at the other end?

I'm sure that they are allowed on board and in the unlikely event that the US Customs firstly them and secondly confiscate them, you can easily buy some more. So I really wouldn't worry about it.

FWIW they put crackers at every seat for Christmas (Eve?) dinner on QM2. Just my opinion but there's more hazard in the little toy than in the amount of black powder that makes them go "crack."

Yikes Underwatr, what toy did you get in your cracker?:eek::confused:

I did call Cunard but they weren't sure because crackers are used on tables at Christmas time and also they couldn't predict what would happen at Brooklyn cruise terminal customs! Thank for your replies, it looks like a hassle and not worth the risk. My American father in law has never experienced the fun of Christmas crackers so thought it would be a good present but will have to find a website that ships internationally I think.

Crackers (yes, the English variety) are available at T.J. Maxx in Federal Way, Washington! They are available around NY and I believe Williams-Sonoma carries them.

My US-born friends now living in Canada have told me that Christmas crackers are - I guess I should say were - unknown in the US. Whatever next- maybe Coronation Street will be shown on US television.

My US-born friends now living in Canada have told me that Christmas crackers are - I guess I should say were - unknown in the US. Whatever next- maybe Coronation Street will be shown on US television.

In Germany is the funny part of Xmas unknown, no hats, no laugh. But we use these crackers on New Year's Eve. So did we on QM2, but we did not take them on a plane.

Archived