Demographic on Oceania Caribbean

pacheco18

On our second visit, we were almost locked in to a remote site with lots of concrete, "authorized" crafts shops run by bored clerks and typical Diamonds International and Tanzanite shops. I searched for an exit, finally found it, and saw no taxis outside. I wondered what my previous guide was doing now...a friendly security guard at the exit (to keep out to natives) stated they really didn't want anyone to leave the "canned" shopping experience.

Sad.

I had read that many people just walk down the road a bit outside the compound & taxis are there

Sadly we missed our cruise this year that stopped there

The vast east coast heads to Miami and Orlando ... party lovers to families. The result is many of the cruises are the 3 and 4 day party cruises People want warm weather, cheap booze and entertainment.

The carribe has in my opinion thus evolved into a mix of south beach and Disney.

Owing to the huge numbers of ships, resulting in cut rate prices brings on a whole different group of passenger interested in cheap prices and maximum around the clock entertainment.

Couple this to the shopping mall ports of St Thomas, St Martin, San Juan, and it kicks up the tempo to disco levels.

This draws a massive divergent group of humanity. Some good some maybe not so...

Then we interject all this into a group of desert islands with a very poor population and we create serious racial dis-harmony scam and crime..

Other than the sea and a few beaches there is really no striking cultural or natural history things. A few reefs but that's underwater.

The sheer mass and quantity of ships and passengers into such a small area with such a eat drink for tomorrow we may die attitude creates its own set of problems. Too many rats in the box, day after day.

The carribe is a good place to go, like a singles bar, spring break, party town. Too much Too Small

Unfortunately, you are 100% correct.

Archived