Charter a mini-bus from NJ to NYC?

vllygrrl

We're sailing during Jersey Week (11/3) on the NCL Breakaway. It turns out that there are 4 other families in our scout group that are all going as well. Someone suggested that rather than all of us figuring out various modes of transportation, we charter a bus to take us. There will be 21 people plus luggage, so a normal minibus may not work. We're in central NJ, just below the Driscoll Bridge. Does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions about companies to contact? My family's plan was to park in Weehawkin and take the ferry over, but this would be so much nicer!

Just look in the yellow pages or google "Bus charter" in your area. We have done it several times for a bus from CT to the piers and have had 24-28 passengers. Depending how many we were, it was always in the $40-$50 range R/T per person. We were approx a 2 hr ride. If you folks are closer, I'd guess the cost would be less.

Cape Liberty Shuttle does offer this service - but I would not recommend them - Read full review below

I had heard that getting a Taxi from Cape Liberty Cruise ship Terminal to Manhattan can be a trying experience so I elected to arrange transportation. I contacted Cape Liberty who quoted me $60 for a shuttle or $99 including tip and tolls for a private vehicle for my wife and I. They gave me a number to text with my debarkation info and a telephone number to call when I collected my luggage. They appeared very professional, with confirmation emails. I texted my debarkation info to them two days before the pick-up and then called them at 09:15 when I had collected my luggage and was waiting for pick-up. I went to the pick-up area and found myself with a growing group of unhappy Cape Liberty Shuttle customers. Two groups had been waiting for over an hour for their shuttles to the airport. After waiting for 45 minutes, I called for the status of our vehicle and was told my car would be their in 10 minutes. 10 minutes later, the shuttle bus did finally show up for one of the airport groups. I asked that driver to check on the status of my vehicle and when he tried to call the dispatcher, there was no answer. He tried to call the company owner and again no answer. 20 minutes later I called again and was told the car would be right there. It wasn’t. While waiting we talked to two women from Canada who had purchased the Shuttle transportation to Manhattan from Cape Liberty Shuttle and had been waiting as long as we had. Finally at 11:00 our car arrived. We asked the driver to check on the status on the Manhattan Shuttle, but he said he could not get a phone signal. When we arrived at the hotel, the driver requested the payment, and so I paid him the full amount. My fault as I got this transport confused with another one we had book and had not pre-paid. When I got home, I realized that I had pre-paid Cape Liberty. When I requested reimbursement, Cape Liberty’s response was “too bad”.

Two days after we arrived in New York, we ran into the two women from Canada at the Empire State building. They said they waited another half hour after we left for their ride to Manhattan. During their ride in, the driver demanded and additional $40 for making him wait. When they refused, he threatened to drop them off in the middle of Jersey City.

I would NOT recommend this service! I would recommend Martin Antigua Transportation (917-418-2877) or Victor Li (917-885-1808) we used them (they work together) in Manhattan and were very happy with their service. They were prompt, accommodating and more reasonable than Cape Liberty.

Archived