Oahu Driving

mufc99

We are off in 2 days - woohoo!

We will be renting a car for 1 day whilst in Waikiki.

Is there a recommended route when driving around the island?

Eg, Which direction should we head to first?

Are any of the dead end roads worth driving down?

Any sections not worth going to?

I presume we would get a map in the rental car?

Not really into sat navs - probably cause more hassle :-)

Even if you're NOT into sat nav's do yourself a GIGANTIC favor and get one with the rental.

We took our portable last year and were very glad we did. We taking it again this year. We would not rent a car without having one.

There are no roads that go completely around any of the islands. On Oahu, I would avoid driving past Kahe Point electrical substation (west of Ko Olina). Although the beaches and Kaena Point are nice sights to visit, it is very rural with many Hawaiian Homestead residents. (I can mention this because I grew up in the area and I am considered a local.). It doesn't matter much which way you travel, you will either encounter morning or afternoon traffic. If you are a photographer, then you might want to consider the direction of the sun for your photos. You will get nice morning sun as you go towards Diamond Head and beyond. I usually go east first.

Directions on the island are: Diamond Head (east), Ewa (west), Mauka (mountain), Makai (ocean).

All beaches will have public access. Beaches are state owned. Please be considerate of property lines.

It may take you as long as 6-8 hours to drive "around" the island, especially if you stop along the way.

Food places: Waiola shave ice, Leonard's malasadas, Liliha Bakery coco puffs, Dim Sum, Rainbow Drive In, L&L, Side Street Inn/Kapahulu, Giovanni's shrimp truck...

One of the three famous blow holes is out by Makapu'u. Hanauma Bay, Haliewa Town, Mormon Temple, Punchbowl, Iolani Palace, the State Capitol. Do you have any must see/do places of interest?

If you are a beach person, I would head out west going to the North Shore and around that way. If you just want to see as much beautiful island as you can, then I would head out east bringing your around to North Shore and then back home in Honolulu. Honolulu is slow driving, but once you get out, most of the driving is easy.

Burt

Funny this thread should pop up. We're going to Hawaii in April, on the Star Princess. We'll also be renting a car and doing the Circle Tour.

I've been researching like crazy and have come up with a list of sights we want to see: Hanauma Bay, Halona Blowhole, Tropical Macadamia Nut Farm, Haleiwa Town (which will include lunch at Giovanni's Shrimp Truck and dessert at Matsumoto's Shave Ice), Lanaikea Beach (to see the green turtles), the Dole Plantation and then back to Waikiki.

I've found that Google directions is pretty good. That will be our back-up. We're renting from Hertz with their GPS. Just found out we can program the GPS on-line and it will be ready for us when we get the car. Love that idea, makes it so easy. With stops, our route is about 7 hours give or take.

Funny this thread should pop up. We're going to Hawaii in April, on the Star Princess. We'll also be renting a car and doing the Circle Tour.

I've been researching like crazy and have come up with a list of sights we want to see: Hanauma Bay, Halona Blowhole, Tropical Macadamia Nut Farm, Haleiwa Town (which will include lunch at Giovanni's Shrimp Truck and dessert at Matsumoto's Shave Ice), Lanaikea Beach (to see the green turtles), the Dole Plantation and then back to Waikiki.

I've found that Google directions is pretty good. That will be our back-up. We're renting from Hertz with their GPS. Just found out we can program the GPS on-line and it will be ready for us when we get the car. Love that idea, makes it so easy. With stops, our route is about 7 hours give or take.

Matsumoto's is okay...very touristy. Waiola is so much better. The City and County of Honolulu has decided to do a band aid fix to the traffic verses pedestrians near Laniakea Beach. The logical didn't prevail. Instead, they are proposing to place large concrete barriers keeping the cars out of the parking area by the end of the year. Plus, Hawaii is known to hand out jay walking tickets (haven't done it at this beach yet). I haven't found it, but I have been told that they are turtles at other beaches.

DSCN3804_zps4767a802.jpg

DSCN3803_zpsdf46a4d2.jpg

You're probably here already but heres a google map of a route around the island

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zTrYtiSGb6ms.k9fRp8OE-ZbE

Archived