thinking about carnival, size of ships?

chris153

I do not want to sound dumb, but have been on the carnival sight and find it hard to figure out the largest to smallest ships. We are not loyal to any cruiseline, but have never sailed Carnival. Thinking about it now. What is the order of the largest to smallest ship? The Breeze looks great. I would like more than one water slide for the kids. And love the idea of Guy's burgers. Thanks ahead of time for your help. Cruise Critic is such a great place for info.

I do not want to sound dumb, but have been on the carnival sight and find it hard to figure out the largest to smallest ships. We are not loyal to any cruiseline, but have never sailed Carnival. Thinking about it now. What is the order of the largest to smallest ship? The Breeze looks great. I would like more than one water slide for the kids. And love the idea of Guy's burgers. Thanks ahead of time for your help. Cruise Critic is such a great place for info.

Breeze and Dream will be the biggest of the ships, then Conquest class (Glory, Conquest, Liberty) and then the others get smaller. I think it really all depends on what you are looking for. Since you already mentioned the Breeze, I would assume that's the type of ship you would like, then I would stick with it.

I've heard some really great things from the Breeze. Most of the older ships do have the 2.0 which includes Guy's.

Here is an approx. size comparison:

SMALLEST! Fantasy Class: Fantasy, Ecstasy, Sensation, Fascination, Imagination, Inspiration, Elation & Paradise

Triumph Class is bigger than the Fantasy Class, but smaller than the Conquest Class. I think Conquest Class has one more deck than Triumph class.

Triumph (Destiny) Class: Triumph & Victory

Conquest Class: Conquest, Glory, Valor, Liberty, & Freedom

The Spirit Class (Spirit, Pride, Legend, & Miracle) I think are smaller than the Triumph class by gross tonnage.

The Splendor Class is close to the top, but is not the largest. This class only consists of the Splendor.

LARGEST: Dream Class: Dream, Magic, & Breeze

Note: I did not place Sunshine anywhere.

SMALLEST! Fantasy Class: Fantasy, Ecstasy, Sensation, Fascination, Imagination, Inspiration, Elation & Paradise

Triumph Class is bigger than the Fantasy Class, but smaller than the Conquest Class. I think Conquest Class has one more deck than Triumph class.

The Spirit Class (Spirit, Pride, Legend, & Miracle) I think are smaller than the Triumph class by gross tonnage.

The Splendor Class is close to the top, but is not the largest. This class only consists of the Splendor.

Why? Shes part of the fleet isn't she?

Good evening Chris153,

We are here to help. What ship size are you familiar with? If I were to recommend a Carnival ship, it would be the Carnival Breeze or the Carnival Sunshine. Both of these are fabulous ships that maximize the fun will all of their 2.0 upgrades. Also included are water slides, ropescourse, etc. Let us know what you are looking for. Hopefully you will join the Carnival family soon

Fantasy Class (8) - 70,000 grt, 855 ft length, 103 ft wide, 10 decks

Spirit Class (4) - 88,000 grt, 963 ft length, 106 ft wide, 12 decks

Triumph Class (2) - 102,000 grt, 893 ft length, 116 ft wide, 13 decks

Sunshine Class (1) - 103,000 grt, 893 ft lenth, 116 ft wide, 13 decks

Conquest Class (5) - 110,000 grt, 953 ft length, 116 ft wide, 13 decks

Splendor Class (1) - 113,000 grt, 950 ft length, 118 ft wide, 13 decks

Dream Class (3) - 130,000 grt, 1,004 ft length, 122 ft wide, 15 decks

Vista Class (2016) (TBD) - 136,000 grt, 1,054 ft length

Sunshine was the Destiny, and

the 1st cruise ship ever to be over

100,000 tons.

Destiny/Sunshine is 101,000 tons.

Good thread:):):) We love the smaller ships...Fantasy and Spirit class..but also enjoyed the Dream last year...it's really big...but the only place it was really crowded was the Lido at breakfast...loved the hot tubs on the side of the ship:)

Sunshine was the Destiny, and

the 1st cruise ship ever to be over

100,000 tons.

Destiny/Sunshine is 101,000 tons.

technically sunshine is NOW 102,853 grt.

but lets face it, sunshine = destiny, which is still roughly the same size as triumph and victory.

i guess it's now more similar to those two ships than it was before, since it has the extra cabins added after the initial destiny build.

Good evening Chris153,

We are here to help. What ship size are you familiar with? If I were to recommend a Carnival ship, it would be the Carnival Breeze or the Carnival Sunshine. Both of these are fabulous ships that maximize the fun will all of their 2.0 upgrades. Also included are water slides, ropescourse, etc. Let us know what you are looking for. Hopefully you will join the Carnival family soon

Thanks for the help everyone!! The last ship we sailed on was rccl's Freedom of the seas. It was a nice size for us. But my children (although really young adults) want water slides. And i like the idea of the rope course. Not sure what itinerary we want, not too picky about that. The breeze does look nice, and I am also looking into the dream.

Again, thank you everyone!!

technically sunshine is NOW 102,853 grt.

but lets face it, sunshine = destiny, which is still roughly the same size as triumph and victory.

i guess it's now more similar to those two ships than it was before, since it has the extra cabins added after the initial destiny build.

Another shining example of why the retuning brochures are sorely needed.

As far as the sunshine, though, in addition to adding cabins where public space used to be, they added that extra "half deck" that was a design change to the two sisters, along with many other fixes from the mistakes of the Destiny.

Thanks for the help everyone!! The last ship we sailed on was rccl's Freedom of the seas. It was a nice size for us. But my children (although really young adults) want water slides. And i like the idea of the rope course. Not sure what itinerary we want, not too picky about that. The breeze does look nice, and I am also looking into the dream.

Again, thank you everyone!!

Here is the breakdown of Waterslides for you (many different combinations - very confusing) going from small ships to big:

Fantasy class

Elation & Paradise - Open slide that goes into the pool (min height 48 inches)

Fantasy, Ecstasy, Fascination, Imagination, Inspiration, Sensation - Waterworks with an enclosed longer Twister slide, and a pair of speed slides. Also has some wet play areas for kids with buckets, spouts, etc. Fascination and Ecstasy have a small slide for the little ones. (min height 42 inches for the Twister and speed slides)

Spirit Class

Spirit - Open slide plus Green Thunder (google it - looks frightening) - not sure about height, since it sails from Australia and I'll never be on it.

Legend, Pride, Miracle - Open slide that doesn't empty into pool (42 inches to ride)

Triumph Class

Sunshine - Waterworks with enclosed Twister slide, and dual racing slides, plus a 500 gallon dump bucket, and small slide for little ones (42 inches for the bigger slides)

Triumph and Victory - Open slide that doesn't empty into pool (42 inches to ride)

Conquest Class

Conquest, Valor, Liberty, Glory, and Freedom - Open slide that doesn't empty into pool (42 inches to ride)

Splendor Class

Splendor - Open slide that doesn't empty into pool (42 inches to ride) plus a splash zone wet play area for kids

Dream Class

Dream - Waterworks with enclosed Twister, Drainpipe (slide into an open bowl), and speed slides, plus a small slide and play area for little ones (42 inches to ride)

Magic and Breeze - Waterworks with enclose Twister, Drainpipe, plus a 500 gallon dump bucket, and a small slide for little ones (42 inches to ride)

BTW, the ropes course is available on the Breeze, Magic, and Sunshine. Also, the ships that do not have the Waterworks area will have an extra pool. For example, Fantasy class ships with waterworks only have one pool, but Spirit class have three.

Here is the breakdown of Waterslides for you (many different combinations - very confusing) going from small ships to big:

Fantasy class

Elation & Paradise - Open slide that goes into the pool (min height 48 inches)

Fantasy, Ecstasy, Fascination, Imagination, Inspiration, Sensation - Waterworks with an enclosed longer Twister slide, and a pair of speed slides. Also has some wet play areas for kids with buckets, spouts, etc. Fascination and Ecstasy have a small slide for the little ones. (min height 42 inches for the Twister and speed slides)

Spirit Class

Spirit - Open slide plus Green Thunder (google it - looks frightening) - not sure about height, since it sails from Australia and I'll never be on it.

Legend, Pride, Miracle - Open slide that doesn't empty into pool (42 inches to ride)

Triumph Class

Sunshine - Waterworks with enclosed Twister slide, and dual racing slides, plus a 500 gallon dump bucket, and small slide for little ones (42 inches for the bigger slides)

Triumph and Victory - Open slide that doesn't empty into pool (42 inches to ride)

Conquest Class

Conquest, Valor, Liberty, Glory, and Freedom - Open slide that doesn't empty into pool (42 inches to ride)

Splendor Class

Splendor - Open slide that doesn't empty into pool (42 inches to ride) plus a splash zone wet play area for kids

Dream Class

Dream - Waterworks with enclosed Twister, Drainpipe (slide into an open bowl), and speed slides, plus a small slide and play area for little ones (42 inches to ride)

Magic and Breeze - Waterworks with enclose Twister, Drainpipe, plus a 500 gallon dump bucket, and a small slide for little ones (42 inches to ride)

BTW, the ropes course is available on the Breeze, Magic, and Sunshine. Also, the ships that do not have the Waterworks area will have an extra pool. For example, Fantasy class ships with waterworks only have one pool, but Spirit class have three.

This was a great answer for me. Thank you!!!

Archived