Paying with VISA Debit

Oh2B@C

I gave up my credit cards a few months ago and am using a VISA debit card tied to my bank checking account. When I tried to book a one day Seattle to Vancouver repo, my card was denied. I phoned Princess and my card was denied on the phone as well. It's not the card or the limit, I used it at a hotel and on-line with Air Canada and Amtrak without problem. And then, Princess ran my card on the ship for the auto tip at the end of the one-day and everything was fine. Huh?!?!?!:confused:

I am stumped... Anyone else out there paid for a cruise with VISA debit? How did it go? I am in Canada and the price was quoted in $CAN

I've used a debit card to pay for every cruise I've taken. According to my TA, Princess' system doesn't differentiate between a credit card and a debit card. I've used the same debit card to settle up my folio at the end of every cruise as well.

I gave up my credit cards a few months ago and am using a VISA debit card tied to my bank checking account. When I tried to book a one day Seattle to Vancouver repo, my card was denied. I phoned Princess and my card was denied on the phone as well. It's not the card or the limit, I used it at a hotel and on-line with Air Canada and Amtrak without problem. And then, Princess ran my card on the ship for the auto tip at the end of the one-day and everything was fine. Huh?!?!?!:confused:

I am stumped... Anyone else out there paid for a cruise with VISA debit? How did it go? I am in Canada and the price was quoted in $CAN

If you don't use the credit option on your card (which you can on a debit card for large purchases), purchases may be declined if you (or the bank) have a specified daily limit.

Had you already us the card that day? Was the purchase for the cruise bigger than your limit? (many banks choose $500 or $1000 limits on debit cards in my country).

call your bank. All of the above could apply. Some companies can place a hold on additional funds in your acct until their transactions are cleared. Rental car companies can hold a deposit upwards of $500 for 3-4 weeks while all transactions clear and it takes time for the hold to come off. This can really mess with your acct balance. If the banks don't know you are traveling they may freeze your accts as well. There are so many different scenarios, and different banks have their own rules. I love debt cards and use them for everything (I'm also in the biz ;)) so just give them a call!!!

Were they processing it as a debit card or a visa card. When we received our card our bank told us that if it doesn't go through as a debit card to have them process it as a visa.

It's important to note that debit cards do not carry the same dispute protections as credit cards, as well as some other drawbacks (the most notable, as above, is a daily transaction limit at many banks - has to do with how fraud is handled).

I know you said you got rid of all credit cards, but I have to admit I'd be reluctant to travel without one just for emergencies (in the event your debit card is compromised, the bank is NOT required to replace the funds until any investigation is complete, where CC issuers can and usually will clear available credit)

Archived