Trip Cancellation Insurance...

mum2bradley

I buy it for the medical coverage, not the trip cancellation part. My medical plans would not cover if I had to be airlifted by helicoptor off the ship, or if I wanted to have medical transportion back to the US.. A hellicoptor transfer can cost 18,000 dollars, so I get it for that reason...

do you get it?

We book ES so we loose it all correct?

I have booked it on my Amex Platinum so I have some sort of coverage but was wondering if anyone else gets it?

I have all the medical coverage from my employer for out of country.

thanks.

With ES you lose $50pp for administrative fees and the balance of the deposit is held for a future cruise by Carnival for 24 months.

Bill

We always purchase trip insurance. You just never know what can happen. I've read horror stories here of people who had accidents on shore excursions and would have had huge medical bills were it not for trip insurance. Fortunately we never had to use it to cancel, but on our Baltic cruise I fell getting off the train in Germany. I was pretty banged up but nothing was broken. Carnival may have covered my visit to the ship's medical center since it was a Carnival excursion, but with the trip insurance all was covered. I just like knowing that if there are any mishaps we won't have to worry. You really don't know what could happen to you or a family member prior to your cruise that may cause you to cancel.

We had to use our trip insurance when we cancelled our April Carnival Liberty sailing 8 days before we were set to sail. My wife had significant medical issues come up and her doctors told her not to go. We paid $80 for the two of us for the insurance and it was worth every penny! We got back everything we paid for out of pocket.

From now on, we will never cruise without travel insurance! We used Travel Guard for the April trip and purchased Travel Guard for our June 1 cruise and also our 10/27 Freedom sailing.

do you get it?

We book ES so we loose it all correct?

I have booked it on my Amex Platinum so I have some sort of coverage but was wondering if anyone else gets it?

I have all the medical coverage from my employer for out of country.

thanks.

In addition to the Admin Charge($50) and holding the deposit for a future cruise you can still end up losing more once you fall within the cancellation penalty period which starts after final payment date. The penalty phase keeps a portion of the cruise fare depending on how close to sail date that you cancel. You can find the penalty phase %'s on CCL's websites and is the same % whether you are early saver or any other fare.

I buy it for the medical coverage, not the trip cancellation part. My medical plans would not cover if I had to be airlifted by helicoptor off the ship, or if I wanted to have medical transportion back to the US.. A hellicoptor transfer can cost 18,000 dollars, so I get it for that reason...

Nobody covers helicopter transfer off the ship; if it's done at all (and it's done in very few places in the world, and even there, it's quite rare), it will be done by the Navy or Coast Guard of the part of the sea you are in, and it will generally be done free of charge. (In practice, that means you need to be near the coast of either the US or Western Europe.) No private medevac insurance service even has helicopters. They are used too seldom, the range too short, and the piloting requiring too much training, for that to make sense.

But once you are ashore (and even if you are right off the coast of FL, chopper evac is still rare; most cases are stabilized by the on-board medical center) yes, medevac can be pricey.

• 2 weeks later...

To the OP....please contact AMEX and check to see if you really do have coverage. My sister-in-law swore she did with her platinum card and when I called to inquire about getting a Platinum card for my husband and me, I was told they have no credit cards with insurance included. It may have been before but the agent said not now.

Sister-in-law called AMEX and found out she has no coverage and now she is buying it for her travel.

Archived