Questions about dresscode

GAneedWater

Unfortunately, there are three hot button topics on these boards 1) clothing in the MDR 2) Smoking 3) Smuggling alcohol. But let me say most (not all) people follow the "suggested" evening attire. The only restrictions in the dining room are tank tops, baseball hats, ripped jeans, gym clothes etc. Shorts would not be appropriate on formal nights in the dining room. Casual nights it would be OK, but most people wear long pants or dresses. Enforcement is up to the staff at front which can be inconsistent. Formal ware is never required, but most people do dress up nicely.

Actually, you're not quite correct on the restrictions. Jeans are not mentioned as inappropriate, whether ripped or not. Shorts are mentioned as inappropriate, even for casual nights. Otherwise, you are correct. Most people adhere pretty closely to the suggested attire, but those who don't are not likely to be turned away.

One thing I don't understand on all these threads about dining room dress is why no one ever mentions the formal dress shirt worn by men in most Caribbean countries. I think it goes by several names - in the Dominican it's called a "guyaba." This shirt can be long or short-sleeved, and usually features fancy details such as pleats on the front. It can be made from silk, linen, cotton, etc., and may be coloured or white. It is usually worn open at the collar and is never worn with a tie.

We went to a very elegant Dominican wedding in June, and the guyaba was worn by all the men. The women all wore long, ornate designer gowns like you would see at the Oscars. This type of shirt seems like a great alternative for men who want to dress formally on a cruise but don't want to wear jackets and ties. We picked a couple up for my hubby, and that's what he'll be wearing on formal night. I'm sure you could find the local variation for sale in many Caribbean towns and cities.

To the OP. If you and your partner enjoy dressing up, you should do so - to the nines if you wish. And it's a great chance to get your pictures taken, whether by ship's photogs or by a fellow passenger who helps you out. But don't break the bank buying a bunch of stuff you won't likely wear again. Wouldn't you rather save your $$ for your next cruise?

Any good tips on how to keep his shirt from wrinkling?

Sorry if this was mentioned already, but I can't read through all of the silly arguments. Try bringing a small bottle of Downey Wrinkle Release with you. It does wonders on shirts when an iron is not available. Have a great cruise.

Respect. Always a two-way street.

True and RCI respects their passengers so the passengers should respect RCI and their guidelines. One who does not, looses most everyones respect quickly.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

True and RCI respects their passengers so the passengers should respect RCI and their guidelines. One who does not, looses most everyones respect quickly.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

Exactly. I don't care if you wear your short with jewel encrusted high heels or a $500 top, you are still being disrespectful.

When you start paying for peoples cruise, you can start telling them what to wear. Until then, please know that RCI does not care as long as its within reason.

And before anyone jumps on me for being a non comfomist, I will be in my tux on formal night and casually dressed on the others.

Always amazed at those that get in a tizzy over what others wear :rolleyes: Its just those few here though that make a big deal out of it. NEVER have I heard of people onboard discussing the dress code. They are too busy minding their own business and actually enjoying their vacation.

When you start paying for peoples cruise, you can start telling them what to wear. Until then, please know that RCI does not care as long as its within reason.

Excellent, succinct reply ryano! It is obvious that RCL really doesn't care whether you participate in formal night (and all it's trappings) or not. As long as you book their cruise, drink their booze, and buy an occasional trinket or two, all is right with the world.

I'm glad people don't talk about this subject on-board (as you have observed); I would want to be around such uptight people. :D

Always amazed at those that get in a tizzy over what others wear :rolleyes: Its just those few here though that make a big deal out of it. NEVER have I heard of people onboard discussing the dress code. They are too busy minding their own business and actually enjoying their vacation.

I've certainly never struck up a conversation on board about the dress code. But, then again, I've also never struck up a conversation about tipping or smuggling alcohol or which stateroom location is the best or e-cigarettes or any number of other things that are discussed routinely here. This is an internet forum for discussion about all things related to cruising. It is not meant to reflect what you would discuss over dinner while on a cruise.

Come to think of it, though, I actually have had a dress code discussion while on board. Once we were seated with another family who talked about skipping formal night, because they had not packed appropriate clothes. I suggested that, if they wanted to be in the dining room, just dress in the nicest clothes they brought, whatever that may be, and they'd be OK.

Too many people on CC, though, seem to think that expressing an opinion about something equates to being "in a tizzy." Most times, that's an exaggeration, at best.

I don't really care if someone does not choose to follow the recommended "guidelines" (but do find it sad that people need to be expressly told what constitutes appropriate dress for various occasions), but I do take issue with those who feel that rules about what types of clothing are expressly NOT permitted do not apply to them because they are ever so special.

I'm glad people don't talk about this subject on-board (as you have observed); I would want to be around such uptight people. :D

I can understand why you would want to be around uptight people - birds of a feather and all . . . :p

Too many people on CC, though, seem to think that expressing an opinion about something equates to being "in a tizzy." Most times, that's an exaggeration, at best.

Whatever. :rolleyes: You accused somebody of a "rant" that was only making a statement and that was an exaggeration at best but again whatever floats your boat. I have better things to do than argue with you today. I might as well beat my head against the wall because I would get just as much out of it.

When someone starts telling people what they CAN and CANNOT wear and then tell them they are being disrespectful if they dont do as they say, I call that being in a tizzy. Your definition of tizzy obviously is different than mine though just as my definition of rant is different than yours.

As Paul Harvey use to say. Good day.

Im done with this one. Go ahead and get the last word in if you wish. Im sure you will.

I just find it interesting how often someone who disagrees with another person will accuse them of being "worked up" or "in a tizzy" or "uptight" or . . . . I suppose I see rant as a different kind of thing, as that is describing my impression of what someone wrote, but not necessarily a description of someone's mood or demeanor while writing it.

There. I made you happy by getting the last word in, as predicted. You can feel satisfied that you were right. ;)

PS - I rarely, if ever, see people telling others what they CAN and CAN'T wear. It's usually more opinions about what is appropriate or what they feel people SHOULD wear. Sometimes you might see someone saying you can't wear things like shorts or swimsuits to the dining room, but that's because this is RCCL's policy.

I just find it interesting how often someone who disagrees with another person will accuse them of being "worked up" or "in a tizzy" or "uptight" .....

Did you post this, or was it another Paul65?

Some may even consider you "wrapped way too tight" for making that post on a thread where the overwhelming position is that the OP's plan is not a problem at all. Focusing on the small minority with a different opinion seems a little uptight to me.

:eek:

I don't really care if someone does not choose to follow the recommended "guidelines" (but do find it sad that people need to be expressly told what constitutes appropriate dress for various occasions), but I do take issue with those who feel that rules about what types of clothing are expressly NOT permitted do not apply to them because they are ever so special.

Gerif,

The tone of your post suggests a deep frustration on your part.

Has anyone really ever expressed this viewpoint (i.e. "I am going to wear shorts in the MDR because I am entitled to do so"), or is this merely your interpretation of what has been said?

I'm sure we can all agree on the difference between "suggested" attire and that which is "not permitted". RCL evidently allows latitude in style and preference - why can't the passengers do the same? :confused:

Did you post this, or was it another Paul65?

:eek:

That was me. It was making the same point - that people should be so quick to label others as "wrapped too tight." Sorry if my way of trying to make the point threw you off. :cool:

That was me. It was making the same point - that people should be so quick to label others as "wrapped too tight." Sorry if my way of trying to make the point threw you off. :cool:

assuming you are talking about my comment it was in a question about a 5yo and 6yo bringing a gameboy of some kind to the MDR to entertain themselves before dinner. From some of the comments you would have thought their mother asked if they could bring a bag of dog crap and throw it at each other. the only people that should be concerned about 5&6yo's are their parents. not telling a mother they should get a table for 4 (and not bother the regular folks), consider the WJ, etc.. one even commented that the flashing lights would make her ill! REALLY?

assuming you are talking about my comment it was in a question about a 5yo and 6yo bringing a gameboy of some kind to the MDR to entertain themselves before dinner. From some of the comments you would have thought their mother asked if they could bring a bag of dog crap and throw it at each other. the only people that should be concerned about 5&6yo's are their parents. not telling a mother they should get a table for 4 (and not bother the regular folks), consider the WJ, etc.. one even commented that the flashing lights would make her ill! REALLY?

Is that what got you riled up? The comment about getting the table for 4? That was what the poster said she wanted to do. And someone said that she should "expect to get that table for 4", which I took to mean that, if she requested it, she will probably get it. I suppose you can take about anything the wrong way, if that's your view of the world.

The one who said the flashing lights may bother her said that it was because she had autism. I suppose you think such people should keep their issues to themselves, when asked if such a thing would bother them.

I tried searching the thread for "WJ" or "Windjammer" or "buffet" and didn't get any results. I think you may have just made that part up.

Hence my point that people tend to overreact to others' opinions that differ from their own. (But I didn't intend to drag a conversation from another thread into this one. That was jbond, who apparently thought it was some kind of gotcha.)

Some may even consider you "wrapped way too tight" for making that post on a thread where the overwhelming position is that the OP's plan is not a problem at all. Focusing on the small minority with a different opinion seems a little uptight to me.

The last sentence wasn't ambiguous, you called him uptight. Hypocritical to say the least, but you do appear to have rules for yourself and rules for others.

Is that what got you riled up? The comment about getting the table for 4? That was what the poster said she wanted to do. And someone said that she should "expect to get that table for 4", which I took to mean that, if she requested it, she will probably get it. I suppose you can take about anything the wrong way, if that's your view of the world.

The one who said the flashing lights may bother her said that it was because she had autism. I suppose you think such people should keep their issues to themselves, when asked if such a thing would bother them.

I tried searching the thread for "WJ" or "Windjammer" or "buffet" and didn't get any results. I think you may have just made that part up.

Hence my point that people tend to overreact to others' opinions that differ from their own. (But I didn't intend to drag a conversation from another thread into this one. That was jbond, who apparently thought it was some kind of gotcha.)

yep, I would agree everyone on here tends to over react to kids, booze, smoking, hand washing, ball scratching, elevators, on and on.. after about the 3 or forth reply most thread generally have noting to do with the question. just fun jerking chains.

The last sentence wasn't ambiguous, you called him uptight. Hypocritical to say the least, but you do appear to have rules for yourself and rules for others.

OK. I was just doing it to illustrate a point, though. Obviously you don't get that, so I'll just accept your "gotcha" on me. I must go hang me head in shame, now. :D

Archived