Questions about dresscode

GAneedWater

After looking over some Compass examples I've noticed the little note about no shorts in the MDR during dinner. Does this rule just apply to formal night? Is it strictly enforced? Would a pair of shorts and a nice blouse be ok for me or a collard tee and shorts pass for my boyfriend? Should we pack a few pairs of pants/skirts? We're doing My Time Dining if that affects anything.

As far as formal night goes I understand that it's not all ball gowns and tuxes, but what would be some good suggestions attire wise?

no shorts at dinner EVER. sundresses are fine for all day wear and can transition nicely into dinner hour. bring one or two pairs of slacks for him and he can change in the evening for a few hours.

if you want shorts at dinner head to the Windjammer or Park Cafe.

Sorry but I have worn black shorts (not that short) with a very nice top and dressy sandals and had no problem entering the MDR..My adult daughter has dressed the same way on many cruises except she wears heels. So to tell someone that they must eat in the buffet is incorrect.

and on EN you'd be tuned away. they even have signs at the MDR entrances that explicitly state shorts for dinner are NOT permitted.

And what are your suggestions to receiving proof on a forum board or are all messages we read on this site, including the trillion and 1 cruise reviews, a bunch of b.s.?

Another thing, if someone writes a post asking for advice and a stranger answers him/her, well then the response must be false because they're a stranger!

Chill out. All I am saying is that there is no way to receive proof via an Online forum, These are opinions and statements being made by strangers. That is all. It would be silly to assume taht eveythig on a message board is accurate.

Chill out. All I am saying is that there is no way to receive proof via an Online forum, These are opinions and statements being made by strangers. That is all. It would be silly to assume taht eveythig on a message board is accurate.

Yeah...

Just look at the two posts prior to yours.:eek:

and on EN you'd be tuned away. they even have signs at the MDR entrances that explicitly state shorts for dinner are NOT permitted.

ALL RCI ships have that sign yet I have seen shorts in the MDR for dinner on EVERY cruise Ive been on.

For formal nights you'll need cocktail dresses for women, suits and ties – or tuxedos – for men. And for the smart casual nights bring dresses or trouser suits for women, jackets for men.

From the Royal Caribbean website.

I can carry my suit across countries on planes, trains, buses, trams thru all weather so I can go to formal night.

Why cannot others do the same?

I can do the same. But, after spending money on the cruise/excursions/airlines etc., the last thing I want to do is spend more money on clothes that I will probably never wear again. We don't have reason to have a suit and cocktail dress. We don't go to events where they would be appropriate attire.

Thank you for this post! Your experience is proof that it's absolutely acceptable to wear dressy shorts to the MDR.

On our August cruise there were men wearing dress shirt, tie, jacket, dress shoes, nylon socks and pressed shorts (that may or may not have matched the jacket and tie. Certainly a different look.

I've never noticed anyone wearing shorts in the MDR for dinner...not saying they aren't there, I just didn't notice.

The online policy states

Remember, shorts, T-shirts, and bathing suits are not considered appropriate attire in the dining rooms at dinner. Casual dress dining is available nightly in the Windjammer Cafe. And be aware you'll also need smart casual attire for some of our specialty restaurants.

In addition, it is published daily that shorts are not permitted in the dining room and frequently there is a sign at the entrance advising the same.

If, after all that, someone chooses to wear shorts in the dining room, I don't blame the staff for not saying anything. It isn't really a question of not knowing the policy, it really become an issue of disregard for that policy. I wouldn't say anything either.

On our August cruise there were men wearing dress shirt, tie, jacket, dress shoes, nylon socks and pressed shorts (that may or may not have matched the jacket and tie. Certainly a different look.

I bet they looked awesome!

I can do the same. But, after spending money on the cruise/excursions/airlines etc., the last thing I want to do is spend more money on clothes that I will probably never wear again. We don't have reason to have a suit and cocktail dress. We don't go to events where they would be appropriate attire.

Yes you do have reason to have a suit and cocktail dress and you do go to events where they would be appropriate attire. That is known as an RCI cruise and eating dinner in the MDR. That is an event and the suit and dress are appropriate attire.

Saw the same on our last cruise to Bermuda. They did allow Bermuda shorts to be worn on formal night. Bermuda shorts, shirt, tie and jacket are acceptable formal wear in Bermuda.

I seriously doubt however that anyone that asks about wearing shorts in the MDR is referring to Bermuda shorts and the accompanying formal attire.

Yes you do have reason to have a suit and cocktail dress and you do go to events where they would be appropriate attire. That is known as an RCI cruise and eating dinner in the MDR. That is an event and the suit and dress are appropriate attire.

Appropriate but not necessary. We don't go on a cruise every year. The last cruise we went on was 10 years ago! Don't plan on going on another for a very long time after our cruise next year. Extra money on clothing that we will wear twice is not necessary.

No one "needs" anything for formal night. Everyone can choose what they wear. That's why there are no requirements only suggestions. As far as why others "can't" bring dressy clothes, they can. They choose not to. Enjoy dressing up if you like. I wouldn't let what others wear affect my enjoyment of my dinner and I certainly wouldn't presume to tell someone else what they have to do.

Perhaps you should address your rant directly to RCCL, since the "You will need . . . " comment was a direct quote from their website.

This is also from the RCCL website.

Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

con_bulletgray_ico.gifCasual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for womencon_bulletgray_ico.gifSmart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for womencon_bulletgray_ico.gifFormal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

Suggested not required.

con_bulletgray_ico.gifCasual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for womencon_bulletgray_ico.gifSmart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for womencon_bulletgray_ico.gifFormal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

Suggested not required.

Sure. I was just pointing out to someone who objected to the word "need" that it came straight from the website. Many people hang their hats on words like "suggested" to justify what they want and try to explain away other words, like "need."

If you take it all into context, though, there are standards that RCCL would prefer to have for their dining room, and they give you suggestions of how to dress to meet those standards. And, for the most part, they don't want to have to play fashion police, so if you choose to ignore the standards, you can do so.

Sure. I was just pointing out to someone who objected to the word "need" that it came straight from the website. Many people hang their hats on words like "suggested" to justify what they want and try to explain away other words, like "need."

If you take it all into context, though, there are standards that RCCL would prefer to have for their dining room, and they give you suggestions of how to dress to meet those standards. And, for the most part, they don't want to have to play fashion police, so if you choose to ignore the standards, you can do so.

Agreed. You can always find a loophole for what you want to do. But it seems that even RCCL is not consistent in their standards. So no loophole needed. I'm sure as long as you're paying them money, they won't object. ;)

Appropriate but not necessary. We don't go on a cruise every year. The last cruise we went on was 10 years ago! Don't plan on going on another for a very long time after our cruise next year. Extra money on clothing that we will wear twice is not necessary.

As stated in the RCI policies, they do have a few places on the ship to have dinner such as the WJ for those who do not wish to follow the suggested appropriate attire.

Suggested not required.

You can only hope that the average person would have enough respect to follow what is requested or suggested.

Agreed. You can always find a loophole for what you want to do. But it seems that even RCCL is not consistent in their standards. So no loophole needed. I'm sure as long as you're paying them money, they won't object. ;)

Mostly agree. But they don't necessarily lack consistency in their standards; they just don't want to police their standards. So the "loophole" is that nobody is going to force you to dress according to the standards.

Suggested not required.

And herein lies the difference. There is a group of people that will, for any location, event or occasion, make the effort to dress as suggested or requested. There are others who will ignore the suggestions and will worry only about what will actually prevent them from entering/attending.

Since I suspect a lot has to do with upbringing, regional and cultural differences, I doubt either group will be able to change the minds of the others.

Even though I am one who always makes the effort to dress as suggested, I can't say that I give it even a second's thought on board. The last thing I want to do is worry about what someone else is or isn't wearing.

So someone is rude and inconsiderate if they don't wear a cocktail dress and would like to be served and not go through a buffet? :rolleyes: I also try to dress as suggested but I hardly think it will affect anyone else's dining experience if someone were to wear a regular dress or skirt and blouse. I'm sure it would not be considered indecent.

Here is our experience with dress code enforcement in the MDR last summer on Freedom of the Seas:

My son, who is a tall 12 year old, wore shorts everyday except formal nights and no one said a word. These were basketball style shorts, not dressy shorts.

My husband wore long pants most nights but near the end of the cruise said "why am I putting on long pants when so many men in the dining room are wearing shorts?" He wore cargo style shorts to dinner the last two nights with no comment from anyone.

On our first formal night, as we were walking to our seats, we passed a seated woman wearing a t-shirt with sponsor names on it like you would be given in a road race.

To sum it up - there was no dress code enforcement.

So someone is rude and inconsiderate if they don't wear a cocktail dress and would like to be served and not go through a buffet? :rolleyes: I also try to dress as suggested but I hardly think it will affect anyone else's dining experience if someone were to wear a regular dress or skirt and blouse. I'm sure it would not be considered indecent.

From our experience, nobody will complain or even give a second thought if the man was wearing a nice pair of khakis or slacks and a nice button down shirt without a tie or even a nice golf shirt for that matter and the lady was wearing what you describe.

It is those who we have seen that come in to the MDR wearing cargo shorts or ripped up jeans, with a t-shirt that display their overall lack of respect.

Archived