Inexpensive evening bags

Gala62

I wanted to pass on a great find - I picked up 2 lovely evening bags at Burlington Coat Factory for $4.99 and $6.99!! :D There were others, didn't seem to be any particular sale, just Burlington's usual discount pricing.

One is a soft-sided type covered in sequins that are black iridescent. The other is a rigid black satin with 2 strips of ruffled georgette ribbon running across the body of the bag. Both well made and elegant in appearance. I'm thrilled, and DH is thrilled with the price...LOL. never occurred to me to look in Burlington for evening bags, I was in there looking at luggage and just happened to walk by....SCORE!!!!

So if you have one nearby, it might be worth a trip!

Gail

Good luck! I hope you have happy hunting! I seem to remember some pretty silver ones at my Burlington, but of course, their stock varies from store to store.

Gail

I bought a really nice silver grey bag at JC Penny about 6 weeks ago for $13, marked down from 20. They had the best selection/pricing of all the stores in N. suburban Chicago and I went EVERYWHERE (Kohls, Fields, Burlington, Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Saks, Bloomie, Nordstrom, you get the idea). Need it for DD wedding in Sept and did not want to wait any longer and chance paying up the kazoo.

You might find that some of the mall shoe stores that particularly cater to prom-girls are selling off their excess inventory still at this time of year. I bought a great silver/grey satin bag for my DS's wedding last summer at about this time.

:D How cute is this? I bought one...I don't have anything to match it, but I love it anyway! It's a cell phone holder, but is just the right size for a little evening bag, too. I ordered it off currentcatalog.com and it was only $10+ shipping!! I've been looking for a new formal dress...might have to look for a dress to match my new purse!:o

079800.jpg

You might find that some of the mall shoe stores that particularly cater to prom-girls are selling off their excess inventory still at this time of year. I bought a great silver/grey satin bag for my DS's wedding last summer at about this time.

I find it hard to find a purse that is stylish but also large enough to hold my small digital camera and the usual tissue, lipstick and sea pass card. I do have a pretty good supply inherited from my two daughters prom and formal days. You are right- I find the best bargains about now ,when they are really marking down the prom stuff. All the stores in my area are really marking down that prom stuff.

Checking in w/ my nightly shopping update! lol!! No evening bags at Burlington. Got a lovely formal for...drum roll please...$15!!!! Yippee! I got another adorable sundress for $20.00 and a cool deep pink charmeuse sleeveless pleated top, to go with my fly away evening pants, for $10!!! Yippee again! DH, who never finds shoes he likes, got the LAST pairs of woven Italian leather slip ons, one black pair and one brown, for $17 each! (Poor thing, I had him meet me at the store on the way home from work after being stuck in accident traffic on I-95 for an hour. He was a trooper and waited patiently why I tried on about 15 things and then re-tried on what I was purchasing just to be sure!) Then he got what I've been looking everywhere to find for a good price, top sider style canvas slips on. Again, $17. All were Beverly Hills Polo Club which I've never heard of before. He has wide feet, so it was a blessing to find them at all let alone in one place! Then we hit Kohls, again, and they had just done new clearance. :) I was forced to purchase an adorable skirt and coordinate top and tons of other stuff too. He was w/ me and carried the bags, so it's all out in the open now! Gasp! ;)

At Kohls we looked at luggage, but I only liked the American Tourister. I trust that brand since I dragged their 20 inch roll along all over Europe, lugging it on and off trains, planes and hotels for 2 weeks and it still looks great. Oh, Kohls is now having a deal when you use your Kohls charge. For every $50 you spend you get a $10 coupon for use from July 13-27. I got 4 coupons tonight so I'll use them to get my luggage. Hope it's on sale then!

Tomorrow, the hunt for a black wrap and evening bags:

JC Penney

Value City

Payless??

This is going to cost us way more than a trip to Europe! Oh my goodness. How much fun is this? lol :p

GREAT SITE. Just bookmarked it to ccheck more later.

Report on shopping:

No bags at Burlington, Value City or one of my local Koh'ls & Target yesterday. Lokking for cruise stuff I cannot resist (even though don't need) and especally new swim cover up.

Gymbrat33 - We're on Princess. I see you likely bought your evening bags on Carnival?? Does anyone know if Princess boutiques have the same?

You're welcome ladies, for the website. This is too much fun! When I went to check out, the evening bag website has a minimum order of $75.00. I think they truly are a wholesaler. I'm already up to $43! lol!!:p

Swim cover up - got a really cute one at Kohl's. It's a crinkle type gauzy cotton. I got it in black and it also comes in pale pink and white. They were see through and not as attractive if you have a patterned swimsuit. The cover up is by Port a Cruz. It's on sale for $50% off - $14.00. It has fixed knots at the shoulders and is sleeveless. It floats over the suit and comes to about your knees - I'm 5'7 to give you an idea of how long it is. It's almost cute enough to wear as a casual dress, but it would be a bit transparent! :eek:

Oh my..they have a minimum order of 75.00???? I won't be buying anything

then....I was looking for ONE bag:( and I saw one too. I don't need 75.00 worth of evening bags.

Oh well, I will see what I can find locally.

Looks like I hit a small window of good luck at Burlington :o

Love that wholesaler website, but even I don't need THAT many bags! Now, shoes, I can always use more shoes! LOL

Feels like Christmas lately, making my lists and checking 'em twice!

Gail

PS - gjules- LOVE that bag, so vintage looking, what a find!!

Got a late start yesterday, slept funny on my neck and woke up Wed. morning in terrible pain. Aleve is wonderful! Just figured that out last night. Whew!

Hit Lord and Taylor w/ my 20% off clearance shopping pass. Got a cute little white leather Dooney & Burke handbag for $46. It was marked $195. I think that's a keeper. I have no clue if it's a good deal or not. I know that D&B is a big name, but I usually don't go for the "names" on my budget.

Got a pretty deep pink satin evening bag at JC Penney for $13, not bad. Can't find any champagne colored bag I like so I will likely use my black satin instead. I don't think that purses and shoes have to match these days, but I do like them matching for evening. Right? Oh well...

Got some cute Lee white jean capris at JC Penney for $12!!! They had tons of dresses, but I like all the ones I already bought more. Of course, I had to try them on anyway. The fitting room clerk made some comment about why did someone have to try on so many dresses? I put them all back nicely, so my feelings were a bit hurt. (I was still in the fitting room on round three of the try ons!) I felt like blurting out that it was a necessity to try on so many clothes when one is going on a cruise! LOL!! I did get a cute two piece bathing suit. The pieces were separates. The bottoms are actually board short style and don't make me look hideous, but rather a bit sporty. Imagine! I hope I'm not kidding myself. I'll have to do a lengthy fashion show for my older girls, 17 and 13, to see if they are seeing what I'm seeing. LOL!!

Too fun! :p

I always buy my evening bags on the ship for $10. They have really nice ones.

I will check this out- can't remember if RCCL had them for that price? I could use a new silver bag. But my camera HAS to fit. If you have a Dillards in your area they are having great sales. Bought evening gown 39.00. Also, Liz tank and sweater, plus skirt (tropical print) tank and cardigan, capris and another short sleeved top to go with, all for 105.00 !!! Almost all summer things (except swimsuits) are at least 75.00% off. Gap is having a good sale also.

Don't have time to check out the stores (13 days til the wedding!), but I just got the cutest evening bag from ebay!

Total with s/h was $7! Yes...it took me a bit to find one I liked (HAD to be goldish), but I'm so thrilled!

Gjules..that is CUTE! And I'm sure you'll have no problem finding a maaaah-velouse gown to match!

~e

LOL....You guys HAD to see the look in my DH's face when I was trying to explain to him that someone on one of my CC threads had found this fabulous bag (gjules) and was going to be looking for a DRESS to match the BAG.

total blankness....

incomprehension...

don't you just love men? they don't get it, do they? I feel sorry for them. What do they do for fun? :p

And mdmom, any female store clerk that doesn't understand the thrill of trying on dresses and LOTs of them is clearly in the wrong line of work...LOL...have a blast with your fashion show, I'm sure you'll look fab!

Gail

mrsred.....13 days til your wedding?! oooh, bet you're crazy busy! Be sure to post a thread afterwards and let us know all about how wonderful it was!

I'm actually being so bad! I'm putting off stuff until the last minute and getting things for the honeymoon (like an evening bag! :D)

I should be packing so I can move....but that would be no fun at all!

And yes...I agree with you about how sad it is that poor men don't understand! But FDH is learning...when I'm wearing a pair of my cute shoes (or uncomfortable shoes as he calls them), he smiles and tells me how great they are when I show him :p

~e

Yes, the poor dears...they are rather clueless when it comes to women's fashion, aren't they?!:rolleyes: My husband didn't understand that I needed a new formal dress anyway, so I thought I'd best not throw in the fact that I was looking for one to match my PURSE!!! He didn't see why I couldn't wear the dress I wore on my last cruise...I liked the dress at the time I wore it, but wasn't crazy about the way I saw myself in pictures later, you know what I mean? I just don't like it well enough to wear twice, I guess. BUT, I"m having trouble finding formals that I like here in Iowa...:confused:

Here's a cross posting that I had listed in a separate thread. Good place to look for dresses (for all sizes!):

www.dress-directory.com

It's not one company but a gathering of great dresses and the links to their individual websites to shop at.

They have misses, plus, petite, maternity and tall.

Another place to check out is Von Maur. They don't have online shopping, but you could check out store locations. Regular prices are a bit high, but like most dept stores, their sales are great!

www.vonmaur.com

Happy shopping!

Gail

Wow! I LOVE dress-directory! Thanks, gala62 for that great link! I may have found my dress! OK, so it doesn't match my purse, but that's ok...I think I can use my black one, or maybe I can find a NEW one!!! What do you all think of this dress? I found it at spiegel.com for $129.

0043039691.jpg

Archived