Laura, questions re your "finding a roommate" guidelines

Host Kat

Laura,

I found your reply regarding pax trying to find roommates in the Singles Cruises forum. Portions of your post follows.

Will we be allowed to try to find roommates in this new forum?

Has there been any progress in creating an area dedicated to looking for roommates or sharing a tour?

Kat

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

May 27th, 2005, 09:06 AM

crab.gifLauraS

Community Manager

icon1.gif

... I wrote the guidelines, I know we specifically do not state "find a roommate on the singles forum".

Essentially, we do not allow "ads" of any kind. This would include personal ads looking for a roommate (or for anything else for that matter). Ads of this nature are removed from all forums...with one exception.

Example: if you would like to sail on a specific ship/date, visit the ROLL CALL forum for that cruise line. Locate the ROLL CALL for that thread.....and ask if anyone is willing to share. You are targeting the specific group of people who would be most inclined to "share" if they are already sailing on your ship...

In the future, we may create an area just for "personal type ads"...such as looking for a roommate, or share a tour. Right now that isn't available and our community guidelines are in effect in this forum.

Thank you all for your cooperation,

Loaura

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• 2 weeks later...

Laura, Very often a single person looking for a cabinmate does not have a specific cruise in mind and is flexible about where he/she would like to cruise. Restricting us to the Roll Calls makes it very difficult. It means we would have to consider all the possibilities and post on every cruise we are considering, which could turn out to be many. It would be much easier I think to have a forum where someone can say "Does anyone need a cabinmate? I would be interested in any cruise, or I am interested in Alaska in 2006 or Tahiti in 2007 etc." Make sense? Obviously, for me, the 55+ forum would be best, but I am sure that a forum for all ages would be good too.

Hi: I am about to sail on my third cruise as a single; surely do not like the supplement, but it's that or not sail. So I look for good pricing, senior discounts etc. I sailed alone on the Century 12/01, Adventurerer of the Seas 9/04, and I am sailing on the Jewel of the Seas 12/05- I have been on other cruises during that time frame with my Mom or a friend. There is a Meet and Mingle for the Jewel and that is great fun, as I am getting to know some of my fellow cruisers ahead of time. I agree that if you are looking for a cabin mate, that this would be the place to ask.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

Hi again,

We're very uncomfortable with creating a forum for those seeking to share a cabin, so no, we have no immediate plans at this time to create one. Sorry!

Laura

• 4 weeks later...

Laura- what exactly is that?...is it a dance? or do you get to bring all your heels on the ship?...LOL....I know that i waivered off the subject of posting for a cabinmat4e on this forum but your last answer was very firm and that is when I noticed the SSC in january. Can you explain? Thanks. Marianna

• 1 month later...
Hi again,

We're very uncomfortable with creating a forum for those seeking to share a cabin, so no, we have no immediate plans at this time to create one. Sorry!

Laura

Laura, I'm just curious . . . . why is Cruise Critics so uncomfortable with allowing those of us on limited budgets (who love to cruise), not able to find others in like situations that would like to share a cabin?

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to know that too. I was on a cruise (was to be my first) in October with a "group" from my church. Hurricane Wilma caused it to be cancelled. The group really ended up being only two other people and they are not going to schedule another cruise. Therefore I am looking at a lot more money to cruise alone. I too wonder why we can't look for others (55+ especially since many are divorced/widowed at that age) to cruise with.

I'd like to know that too. I was on a cruise (was to be my first) in October with a "group" from my church. Hurricane Wilma caused it to be cancelled. The group really ended up being only two other people and they are not going to schedule another cruise. Therefore I am looking at a lot more money to cruise alone. I too wonder why we can't look for others (55+ especially since many are divorced/widowed at that age) to cruise with.

I doubt we will ever get an answer to our question. But . . . as a 58 year old divorcee who loves to cruise . . . the best deal I've found for going alone (and I'll be taking my third cruise solo in April) is on Carnival. They offer their 1A cabins for "only" one and a half times what one of a couple would pay. Still crazy but a lot better than the 200% most cruise lines charge for even an inside cabin.

Rebecca, on our August 19, 2006 Cruise Critic group cruise on the Caribbean Princess there is an older single lady who would like to find someone to share with also. The single supplement is only 150% if you want to go alone, but sharing saves even more money. If you are interested, email me at kacruiser@ev1.net and I can give you her contact information.

Booking the August 19, 2006 Cruise Critic group cruise on the Caribbean Princess gives you group rates, a shipboard credit of $25 each, a photo voucher, and some other CC goodies. Plus we will have a sailaway party and a meet and mingle.

This is an Eastern Caribbean route, going to St. Thomas, St. Martin, and Princess Cay. So the only tender port should be Princess Cay.

BTW, I am originally from East Tennessee and went to school at UT. I'm going back "home" for Christmas--I'm really looking forward to it.

Have you asked your travel agent? I know my travel agent will try to match up singles to share cabins. Have you also tried your church, work, friends and neighbors? Usually someone is wanting to cruise but doesn't know who to ask. Good Luck!:)

Archived