Australia...cruise line similar to NCL

Katesowner

I would love to cruise around Australia and New Zealand. I think over the next few years more lines will be going there and I hope NCL is one of them otherwise I will have to stray since I want to do it sooner rather than later.

At the moment it is Carnival and P & O I think

Unless they've pulled out of the Australian market, Royal Caribbean cruises Australia, too. We cruised on the Rhapsody of the Seas in 2009. They had limited freestyle-like dining, but nothing else was much different than NCL.

--Michael

HAL has Australian itineraries including New Zealand and some of the Pacific islands like Bali. I thought the prices looked pretty good. Some 19 or 21 day ones for less than $2,000 pp.

Considering Australian for 2015 or 16, but have not researched it yet. If NCL is not there yet, it will have to be with someone else. I swore I would not set foot on HAL again, but might have to reconsider based on itinerary and price.

Does anyone do a repositioning from West coast or Hawaii?

We have patiently waited for NCL to have a Pacific islands/Australia cruise. We are waiting to see if they have any in 2015. If not, we sadly will have to choose another cruise line. I'm sure we will enjoy it, but will miss the Platinum and CAS perks but just don't want to keep waiting and hoping for NCL to go there, which may never happen.

All cruises have open dining options. In my opinion, a far more important feature, than the cruise line, is the itinerary. Few people cruise here overall, and when they do- it might be a big deal to get there, money spent, time off, etc.

I've been there twice, with considering a circle tour of Australia in Feb/Mar 14.

RCI does a great job in New Zealand, which I did. There are also Celebrity. HAL sailing there.

All cruises have open dining options. In my opinion, a far more important feature, than the cruise line, is the itinerary. Few people cruise here overall, and when they do- it might be a big deal to get there, money spent, time off, etc.

I've been there twice, with considering a circle tour of Australia in Feb/Mar 14.

RCI does a great job in New Zealand, which I did. There are also Celebrity. HAL sailing there.

I agree completely. If it weren't for the fact that our past 6 cruises have been free mini-suites (we have to pay taxes) comped by CAS, we wouldn't have even waited this long to book with another line and go down under. But, that represents somewhere between $3000-$4000 savings on the cabin so that's why we've been holding on so long waiting for NCL. But, that said, we really want to do this itinerary, so we'll just have to bite the bullet and pay for the cabins if we want to see Australia and the South Pacific.:eek:

You might also want to consider HAL in Australia and New Zealand. We did that last year, and enjoyed it very much.

The atmosphere on HAL is a bit more formal than NCL, but not so much so that it would really impact your overall cruise experience. On the Australia / New Zealand cruises, they will probably have 2 to 4 formal nights in the MDR, depending on the length of the cruise. Enforcement of the MDR dress code is not strict. The minimum standard for men is sport coat and tie. There are reports on the HAL board that on some ships, men are being allowed in with just a sport coat, or just a tie, or simply slacks and collared shirt.

If you don't want to bother with dressing, there is always the Lido, a steak specialty restaurant, an Italian specialty restaurant, or full in-cabin dining from the MDR menu is available.

For seating, one level of the MDR is fixed seating, and the other level is open seating. We also do open seating. You can make reservations in open seating if your prefer, or just walk up.

On HAL's website, you will find a "suggestion" that formal wear attire be adhered to in all public areas of the ship throughout the evening on formal nights. That is not the reality of what happens on board, so don't let that put you off. You'll see casual wear clothes all evening, all through the ship. Many people who do choose to dress up for dinner for the MDR will change afterwards into something for comfortable to go to shows, the bars, etc. It is not a stuffy atmosphere on HAL at all.

One of the ships HAL has sailing down under is the Oosterdam. That was the ship we were one. Very nice and well maintained, and a great crew. Very good food as well. Its passenger size is about 1900, so it is a mid-size ship, which can have its advantages.

Carnival's Spirit is permanently assigned to Australia. Here is a link to their site.

The inaugural launch out of Sydney occurred while we were down there for our HAL cruise. It was a big deal.

http://www.carnival.com.au/

Just checked this out & although they sail out of Sydney, unfortunately the ports aren't mainland Australia.

We did a Australia cruise on Royal Caribbean earlier this year. They have my time dining which is kind of like freestyle dining. I am not a fan of Royal Caribbean but a lot of other people seem to like them.

I wish RCI would sail during the summer.:(

The atmosphere on HAL is a bit more formal than NCL, but not so much so that it would really impact your overall cruise experience.

The minimum standard for men is sport coat and tie. There are reports on the HAL board that on some ships, men are being allowed in with just a sport coat, or just a tie, or simply slacks and collared shirt.

On HAL's website, you will find a "suggestion" that formal wear attire be adhered to in all public areas of the ship throughout the evening on formal nights. That is not the reality of what happens on board, so don't let that put you off. You'll see casual wear clothes all evening, all through the ship. Many people who do choose to dress up for dinner for the MDR will change afterwards into something for comfortable to go to shows, the bars, etc. It is not a stuffy atmosphere on HAL at all.

*Having* to dress formally everywhere on the ship on formal nights.:eek::eek::eek:

I have a feeling that my idea of casual & theirs might be extremely different.;)

What are the odds that HAL has many (any?) under 40 on this cruise? Although, it appears not to matter as they don't have summer sailings either.

C'mon NCL, head to Australia!!!

Archived