Roatan & Mahogany Beach?

chrismch

Are there two different ports on this island? I believe our ship's itinerary says we are tendering, but it shows a 3 ship pier at Mahogany Beach?

NCL, RCCL and Disney lines dock at Coxen Hole, Carnival built their own pier at Mahogany Bay.

Coxen Hole only can accomdate 1 ship (RCCL has priority) and any others that day tender in.

Mahogany Bay, I thought only accomodated 2 ships at a time (but I'm not positive) and then it was very wind and weather dependant. (since Carnival only dredged a very narrow channel to get to the pier. Couldn't believe how little room for error the Captain has, when I watched him back out last year.)

I'm sure the biggest Carnival ships get first dibs on slots, then their smaller ships and other lines. (Princess, HAL, etc.)

Not sure which ship you are on and what other ships are scheduled, so hard to figure who is docking and who is tendering.

Yes, there are 2 docks. Mahogany Bay is used by Carnival and the other by the other ships. When we docked at Mahogany, there were 2 ships at the dock and it didn't look like there was any room for another but I may be wrong.

Here you can see both of them on the map:

roatan%20port-L.jpg

In this picture we are docked at Mahogany Bay. In the middle of the picture you can see the airport strip then some land (which is Maya Key Island). The other dock is right on the other side of that:

P5140532-M.jpg

Docked at Mahogany Bay

P5150540-M.jpg

Us docked at the end of one side and this Carnival ship docked at the other...so I'm guessing only 2 ships because there isn't any room for more.

P5150538-M.jpg

NCL ship docked at Coxenhole

PC190603-M.jpg

Room for 1 ship at Coxenhole

PC190778-M.jpg

We were in Roatan last year and we were the fourth ship and had to tender that trip into Coxen Hole. There was already one ship at Coxen Hole and two ships at Mahogany Bay. Not sure why you would need to tender if Mahogany Bay was available (Carnival Corp has the rights), but stranger things have happened.

Archived