Medjet versus yearly Medical/Evac Insurance

donaldsc

We carry a yearly policy with high limits that covers medical and evacuation. I have noticed that some people also carry a medjet policy. Why would I want to have both as they seem to overlap? What does Medjet do for me that my medical/evacuation policy does not?

DON

You'd need to double check your own coverage, to see the extent to which there is overlap, if any.

The feature of MedJetAssist that we "want" is that if either of us is hospitalized on a trip more than 150 miles from home, WE - not the local physician and not the insurance company - can have MedJetAssist evacuate us to ANY hospital of our choice. This could be our "regular hospital near home" or some specialty hospital somewhere else.

It does not require that the "local hospital" where we've landed agree that it is "medically necessary" for us to be transferred, and it doesn't require that an insurance company get involved in whether or not it is necessary.

Averaging the annual cost out to the cost per trip, including regular business trips, trips to family, weekend getaways, etc., as well as major vacation travel... it's very reasonable for the peace of mind.

The medical care coverage itself would need to be from one's regular or other travel insurance, as would (if we understand correctly) the costs to get us to that "first hospital".

GeezerCouple

I posted on the other thread about a gentleman on a tour in Alaska this summer had a cardiac event and was flown from Juneau to Fairbanks (1 1/2 ht flight) where he died 3 days later. The evac from Juneau to Fairbanks cost $56,000 plus nurses etc. Medijet Assist would not have come into play as he was not stable enough to transfer (Medijet requirement). They are hoping they had enough coverage but not sure:( I think it is best to overlap/have both.

Archived