Help me decide on a cabin!

NoobCruise

Uggg I'm researching cruises and DH and I can't seem to settle on one. This will be our 3rd cruise. We've literally skipped around from Alaska to Hawaii to the Caribbean, then New England/Canada, and now back to Alaska. I *think* we've settled on Millenium Vancouver, BC to Seward, Ak. I've got 24 hour holds on 3 different cabins and can't decide which so maybe you can help, especially if you know reasons not to book one. We sailed Alaska once on HAL in a corner aft wrap and we spent the majority of the trip on our balcony, so we definitely want a balcony again.

Sky Suite 6132 - looks great on the deck plans with a much larger balcony. In reading old threads, because of the shape, it's very windy and not very covered which is bad for Alaska. It's also not very private because it faces the adjacent balconies. It's also above the restrooms for the MDR so wondering if sound drifting up would be a problem?

SkySuite6132_zpsfb781cf5.jpg

Sky Suite 6146 - It's the largest sky suite on the ship with huge marble bathroom and most luxuriously decorated because it was designed to be an extra bedroom for the penthouse suite next door. The balcony is covered which will be great if it rains. Down side - the connecting door to the penthouse let's a lot of sound through so you can hear the neighbors, especially if they're arguing or playing the piano. I don't mind if they're good at the piano, but there were a few complaints of little kids banging away on it. It's also above the MDR so wondering if we may get sound drifting up?

SkySuite6146_zps32047aaa.jpg

Aft Facing 8172 - DH and I love the aft. Our first cruise we had an OV and spent the majority of our time sailing on a small aft deck. 2nd cruise was in the aft wrap, and we spent the majority of our time on the aft because we were protected from the icy cold wind and could see both shores at once. We also love just sitting and watching the wake churn up. It also has cabins above and below so should be quite. Down side - not a suite with priority embark/debark and tendering, but much cheaper. How do the balconies that stick out on 8181 and 8166 affect the views of the inner aft facing balconies?

AftFacing8172_zps2f31298a.jpg

Which should I choose???

Which should I choose???

Next to Penthouse. I wouldn't be that concerned about the noise and the piano is really just a novelty for most i'd think.

Being next to penthouse, you'd get far better butler services too i'd say.

I stayed in penthouse on my first cruise and heard nothing from the sky suite, and no dining room noise at all that I recall. And end of hall it will be quiet from hallway noise too.

My 2 cents would be to get a side cabin for Alaska to be able to see things for a longer period so of your choices

Sky Suite 6146 - by why not a less expensive suite on the hump?

A less expensive suite on the hump would be wonderful if you can get one, but the Millennium suites on the hump are Celebrity Suites, typically more expensive than the Sky Suites.

My 2 cents would be to get a side cabin for Alaska to be able to see things for a longer period so of your choices

Sky Suite 6146 - by why not a less expensive suite on the hump?

Millenium doesn't have the hump like the larger ships, otherwise I would book a concierge on the hump. The closest "hump" cabin on Millenium is the first pic of 6132.

A less expensive suite on the hump would be wonderful if you can get one, but the Millennium suites on the hump are Celebrity Suites, typically more expensive than the Sky Suites.

The Celebrity Suites are not only more expensive. They don't have a balcony. They're just big cabins with the fishbowl glass wall.

The Celebrity Suites are not only more expensive. They don't have a balcony. They're just big cabins with the fishbowl glass wall.

I believe when the M class ships were Solsticizied those suites

were given balconies......I could be wrong of course but maybe

someone who has stayed in one in the last couple of years can

confirm it or not.

I'm not sure about the balcony on the Celebrity suites. The desciption on the booking site says "glass-enclosed sitting area" but nothing about "balcony". Which could be good for Alaska if we have a bad weather week. But it's over $2000 more for 2 than the Sky Suites. I can't (or won't lol) pay that much. I'm willing to downgrade from the Sky Suite, but not pay more lol

EDIT on the Celebrity site it does say an 85 sq ft balcony. Still more than I want to pay though.

Apparently you have not seen them recently.

Balconies were added on the hump when the M-class ships were solsticized.

1751008462105f6dbb0d5174fe87059f03cf77c108550525d8ac74cc40ac8cad9fe8eed1.jpg

If interested,here is a link to MoreMoore's slideshow of a Celebrity Suite on the hump

Celebrity Suite

Occasionally they go on sale, if they don't sell out.

This is the lowest category "suite" on the ship that is a true suite, with separate bedroom and living room, not just one big room like a sky suite.

We've been in all three cabins, not stayed in them just visited....

I fell in love with the huge balcony on 6132 but it is as you describe open to the elements. The cabin is great with bathtub and walk in closet.

6146 has a glass door, not a slider. It seems a little darker but the barrier wall to the penthouse adds shelter too. The wall to 6144 is the typical divider. You will not hear a sound from the MDR and it depends on the occupants of the penthouse as to filtering noise.

The aft would be my choice. There is nothing better than watching the wake as you sail through some of the passages in Alaska. If you are going to Icy Strait Point then, for me, it would be a no brainer. Any aft cabin in Alaska is the best view in the house.

FYI, the Celebrity suites do have a balcony now.

Have a great cruise!

Apparently you have not seen them recently.

Balconies were added on the hump when the M-class ships were solsticized.

1751008462105f6dbb0d5174fe87059f03cf77c108550525d8ac74cc40ac8cad9fe8eed1.jpg

If interested,here is a link to MoreMoore's slideshow of a Celebrity Suite on the hump

Celebrity Suite

Occasionally they go on sale, if they don't sell out.

This is the lowest category "suite" on the ship that is a true suite, with separate bedroom and living room, not just one big room like a sky suite.

Thank you for confirming what I had posted. I didn't want to say 100%

but I thought I was correct. Those suites do have balconies;)

I was in Sky Suite 6132 on the Millie last year. I loved the extra room in the cabin and balcony as well as the tub in the bathroom. However, I could only use the balcony when the ship was in port. The wind was terrible when she was under power and I guess it all depends on what's more important to you...... a cabin with extra room or a balcony that is protected from the wind that you can use at any time. For my next cruise I chose one of the aft balconies as I was tired of paying for a balcony and not being able to sit outside and enjoy it. For me I'd rather give up the cabin space for a useable balcony. Pat

Thank you for confirming what I had posted. I didn't want to say 100%

but I thought I was correct. Those suites do have balconies;)

The Celebrity suites are kind of off on a tangent anyway since they're out of my price range, balcony or no balcony.

I was in Sky Suite 6132 on the Millie last year. I loved the extra room in the cabin and balcony as well as the tub in the bathroom. However, I could only use the balcony when the ship was in port. The wind was terrible when she was under power and I guess it all depends on what's more important to you...... a cabin with extra room or a balcony that is protected from the wind that you can use at any time. For my next cruise I chose one of the aft balconies as I was tired of paying for a balcony and not being able to sit outside and enjoy it. For me I'd rather give up the cabin space for a useable balcony. Pat

I have crossed 6132 off my list. I don't want to pay for a balcony - especially a sky suite - and not be able to use it!

The Celebrity suites are kind of off on a tangent anyway since they're out of my price range, balcony or no balcony.

Oh, I never book suites as they are always out of my range as well.

I was just trying to post the correct information.

Archived