Allure 9/22/13: A Story Review w/drama, humor, Pics & Video

OMG that lens makes me drool. I've been wanting that one for a long time but it's been out of my price range (had to choose between vacation and lens). I did pick up a 28-75 F2.8 Tamron for good price since I desperately needed to replace my 28-105 F3.5-4.5 that I had been shooting with since I did on-mountain photography in Whistler over 10 years ago (film with an Elan II). Once I get a better lens selection then I can upgrade my 30D :P

No question about it, vacation is my pick!!!I always say make the equipment you have work. Although I haven't tried a Tamron Lens, I'm sure the pictures are still awesome!

P1010131-L.jpg

Can you feel the thrill here??

P1010133-L.jpg

One of the main things I shop for while in port, are Christmas ornaments. Every Christmas I enjoy opening up my ornaments from all over and placing them on the tree while reminiscing of that time. I won't have one for Haiti or Jamaica but I'm sure I will in the future as I plan to visit those places again.

:eek: :eek:

I booked this for January. I think I am completely insane. I hate heights, but managed to climb to the top of the Sydney Harbor Bridge a few years ago, and parasailed in Coco Cay. Hopefully this zip line thing is something I can do without freaking out. :cool:

Oh, and I buy Christmas ornaments as well, if I find nice ones that I like.

You don't need the 5D. The 7D is just as good but less money. What's more important are the lenses and totally learning completely how to use your camera and not in auto mode either. Whatever camera you have buy a book on it and read it then go out and practice, practice and more practice! Hope this helps:)

Your photos are wonderful!

Some of your photos are reminding me that I need to practice using the aperture priority mode a bit more. I generally stay stuck on the "P" mode unless I'm trying to take a photo of a waterfall and then I'll use the "Tv" mode. I have a wish list of about $5,000 in new camera equipment, but I think it all might have to wait a few years. I do want to get the New 70D for my birthday next year, but will have to continue to use my Tamron 18-200mm lens until I can afford to upgrade. It's a nice all around lens, but I'd like one that's a little sharper when zoomed out. My biggest issue right now is my camera (Canon T1i) and lens combo are just terrible in low light. I have so much trouble focusing.

I just can't get enough of these pictures, they really are incredible. Your daughter will love all of these pictures when she is older! Do you use Instagram? If it is still popular like it is today, she will have a lot of great "throwback thursday" pictures to share! :D:p

Keep it coming! I am also obsessed with the ocean and absolutely love the shots you took of it in Jamaica!

VegasChic- Great review and fantastic pictures. Too bad you could not spend more time at the Falmouth pier. It has grown a lot since our first visit there which was Allure OTS very first visit to Falmouth. There was music, drumming, dancing and singing by the locals, it was really cool. I think I like the Western Caribbean sailings thus far.

Thanks for sharing your story and pictures. You also have a beautiful family.

After sail away, DD and I headed back to the cabin to get dressed for the evening. We had dinner at the MDR again there’s not much to report about dinner except what I had. Mushroom Soup (Delicous!!), Shrimp Cocktail (good!), Strip Steak (it’s always on the menu – it was decent)and the crème brulee (it was ok, tasted custardy). I never took note of what DH had he always chose the recommendations from the waiter. We had the usual conversation with our table-mates about what we did and port and what we had planned for the next day.

After dinner, we headed to the Amber Theater for the headliner show. We got great seats right in the middle of the theater (Big Problem!!!). I didn’t know what to expect for this show but I tried to make the best of the next hour as we were trapped. We were sitting right in the middle of the row which meant there were at least 10 or more people on each side. About the show, if you enjoy a one man show, dancing and singing to old Motown tunes well great news! This is the show for you!!! It certainly wasn't the show for me but out of respect for the others and the entertainer, I decided to keep my anxious butt seated and watch the entire show. This gentleman (cannot for the life of me remember his name) was apparently a big star on Star Search (if anyone remembers that show). I remember the show just not him. They also played a few video clips of the days when he was on the show. TIP: I don’t believe he is the headliner for every sailing (check your compass). He explained that he had just boarded the ship today so I think he might ship hop and perform on other cruises.

Okay enough about that, I was very sleepy and after the show DD, DH and I all went straight to bed. I've never gone to bed this early, so many days in a row, EVER! When DH and I are alone, we usually go to bed around 2-4am. I don’t have any pictures of the evening but the majority of the pictures were taken of gorgeous Cozumel and day 7. I’ll be back in a few days….

Next Up:

DAY 5 – AT SEA

Dreamworks Character Breakfast

Cruise Critic Slot Pull

Guest Relations X3 (account problems)

3D Movie – Iron Man 3 in Amber Theater

Ship turns around for mysterious object floating in the water

Pool

Park Café

Ice Games

Formal night at the MDR

Allure vs. Epic Comparisons:

Not much to compare today except two things I wanted to correct from my previous posts.

I mentioned that there was no place on the Epic similar to Boleros however, I forgot about the Fat Cats Jazz and Blues Club with Slam Allen. They are both very different but in the same category as far as clubs with live bands go one is blues and the other Latin, loved them both.

Cabin bathrooms – Just an observation, the sink on the Allure is way too narrow (as is on the Epic) and it sits below a glass shelf which makes it difficult to wash my face without banging into the glass or making a mess. As much as I tried, I would splash water all over the place. Plus the shower head is very tall, on the Epic it slides and has adjustable height.

Just caught your review and I absolutely love it! It's more like a fun conversation rather than a straightforward review. We will be on this cruise next year!

Thank you, I'm glad you're enjoying it!! Allure is definitely an amazing ship, the wait will be worth it :D

VegasChic- Great review and fantastic pictures. Too bad you could not spend more time at the Falmouth pier. It has grown a lot since our first visit there which was Allure OTS very first visit to Falmouth. There was music, drumming, dancing and singing by the locals, it was really cool. I think I like the Western Caribbean sailings thus far.

Thanks for sharing your story and pictures. You also have a beautiful family.

Thank you compliment, that's really sweet! I agree I was a little bummed about it but again it was just poor planning and not enough research about this port. I should have only done Dunns River Falls and then the port. Oh well hopefully there'll be a next time.

I just can't get enough of these pictures, they really are incredible. Your daughter will love all of these pictures when she is older! Do you use Instagram? If it is still popular like it is today, she will have a lot of great "throwback thursday" pictures to share! :D:p

Keep it coming! I am also obsessed with the ocean and absolutely love the shots you took of it in Jamaica!

Thank you! I barely have pictures of myself from when I was a kid so I think I've made up for that as I have thousands of my child since she was born. I don't do instagram as I can only handle one social media site at a time and currently it's FB.

Jamaica's beaches are gorgeous can't wait to go back!

:eek: :eek:

I booked this for January. I think I am completely insane. I hate heights, but managed to climb to the top of the Sydney Harbor Bridge a few years ago, and parasailed in Coco Cay. Hopefully this zip line thing is something I can do without freaking out. :cool:

Oh, and I buy Christmas ornaments as well, if I find nice ones that I like.

Your photos are wonderful!

Some of your photos are reminding me that I need to practice using the aperture priority mode a bit more. I generally stay stuck on the "P" mode unless I'm trying to take a photo of a waterfall and then I'll use the "Tv" mode. I have a wish list of about $5,000 in new camera equipment, but I think it all might have to wait a few years. I do want to get the New 70D for my birthday next year, but will have to continue to use my Tamron 18-200mm lens until I can afford to upgrade. It's a nice all around lens, but I'd like one that's a little sharper when zoomed out. My biggest issue right now is my camera (Canon T1i) and lens combo are just terrible in low light. I have so much trouble focusing.

I'm not going to lie, it's a bit intimidating but once you are released it's awesome!! I'm sure you'll be fine don't but any thought into it!!

The best advice I can give you regarding the camera, is to practice in manual mode this way you can control every aspect of the picture. Of course it's a pain because you have to keep changing your settings and a lot of times I forget. focusing in low light can be an issue (it certainly is for me) and a small video light like the Frezzi will help in those situations. You can always switch your lens settings to manual focusing too (the way it was done in the old days!) Good Luck;)

Vegas Chic....thanks so much for sharing. You and your family a beautiful.

I like the fact that you have sailed enough on other crusie lines to do a balanced and fair review.

I've also been on both the Allure and Epic. Both are wonderful ships. Epic is my favorite ship/cruise to date....fior many of the same reasons you've stated.

Vegas Chic....thanks so much for sharing. You and your family a beautiful.

I like the fact that you have sailed enough on other crusie lines to do a balanced and fair review.

I've also been on both the Allure and Epic. Both are wonderful ships. Epic is my favorite ship/cruise to date....fior many of the same reasons you've stated.

Thank you, so sweet! I loved both my trips on the Epic as well we had an amazing time!! I see that you've sailed on the Breakaway and I would love your feedback and comparison to the Epic. I plan on sailing the breakaway in June, will check out your review;)

Hi VegasChic, what an amazing review!

I'm really enjoying your storytelling and professional photos. And is it too geeky to say I really appreciate how nicely formatted the review is. You have a real gift. Looking forward to reading about the rest of the cruise!

PS: Your daughter is precious!

Hi VegasChic, what an amazing review!

I'm really enjoying your storytelling and professional photos. And is it too geeky to say I really appreciate how nicely formatted the review is. You have a real gift. Looking forward to reading about the rest of the cruise!

PS: Your daughter is precious!

Hi windjamming, thank you!! I will be back on Thursday to post Day 5 I have a ton of work to catch up on. I have fallen behind....

Stay tuned...

Thank you, so sweet! I loved both my trips on the Epic as well we had an amazing time!! I see that you've sailed on the Breakaway and I would love your feedback and comparison to the Epic. I plan on sailing the breakaway in June, will check out your review;)

Breakaway is a beautiful ship, too. Aside from the outstanding entertainment (at least as good, if not better than Epic entertainment), the experience will be similar.

The big claim to fame were the exterior areas (which I absolutely loved). While the Allure tends to focus on keeping passengers away from water views, the Breakaway is the exact opposite. I spent a lot of time outdoors on the Breakaway vs the Allure.

My guess is your daughter and your husband will love Burn the Floor. I also loved Rock of Ages. However, the themes and language are rated R. So keep that in mind when you go.

I found the food and service on the Breakaway to be better than on the Allure.

However, the pay venues were good on both.

But, I had a great time on both the Allure, Epic and Breakway. Had "nits to pick" on all of them, but no real complaints at all.

You should also take a look at the Carnival Breeze. It is a fantastic ship.

When we reached the bottom of the stairway, we stumbled across this beyond beautiful beach....

_MG_4575-L.jpg

I could of stayed here all day

_MG_4593-L.jpg

_MG_4590-L.jpg

_MG_4594-L.jpg

_MG_4596-L.jpg

My husband took this photo, it would have been a much nicer picture if he wouldn't have cut off the top.

_MG_4545-L.jpg

Hi VegasChic!

Thanks so much for your wonderful review. You take amazing pictures!! I am really enjoying reading your review! It's like talking to a girlfriend who just returned from a fabulous vacation! You have a beautiful family!!

I'm so glad you posted so many great pictures of Jamaica. So many people here on CC have a poor opinion so it's great to get another perspective. The beaches are gorgeous!!

My husband and I are planning a week long trip to Vegas. Do you have a blog or could you recommend a website similar to CC? I am a plan-a-holic and we don't want to miss a thing!!

Thanks again for sharing!!

Hi VegasChic!

Thanks so much for your wonderful review. You take amazing pictures!! I am really enjoying reading your review! It's like talking to a girlfriend who just returned from a fabulous vacation! You have a beautiful family!!

I'm so glad you posted so many great pictures of Jamaica. So many people here on CC have a poor opinion so it's great to get another perspective. The beaches are gorgeous!!

My husband and I are planning a week long trip to Vegas. Do you have a blog or could you recommend a website similar to CC? I am a plan-a-holic and we don't want to miss a thing!!

Thanks again for sharing!!

Hi!! Thank you so much!!

I totally loved Jamaica everyone I encountered was beyond friendly. The beaches there are gorgeous, I plan to visit again on a land vacation.

VEGAS!!! My home away from home (completely love this city!) Have you ever been?

This is how much I love Vegas:

6 Months ago renewing our 10 wedding vows:

10296867465_b21cfd248b_c.jpg

One and a half years ago celebrating our nine year anniversary:

10296772974_b02b00bb23_o.jpg

And 10 years ago on our wedding day at Caesars Palace:

10296962185_cffbf7f361_c.jpg

I have thousands, but I won't bore everyone on a non-cruise related topic but since you mentioned Vegas I couldn't resist.

So quickly: my favorite hotel is "THE Encore at The Wynn" I also love the Venetian. Shows, my recommendation is "Le Reve" at the Wynn or "O" at the Bellagio. I've seen mostly all of them Mystere, Ka, Love, O, Le Reve, Siegfried and Roy, Mama Mia, etc. I could be here all day. Food - So many choices all great too!!

I would do my research on tripadvisor or Cheapo vegas - Cheapo Vegas gives funny reviews and honest descriptions of everything vegas. Tripadvisor gives you customer reviews on everything from hotels, to shows, to transportation, activities, nightlife and restaurants. There is also an APP i own I think it's called ivegas (can't recall). Or you can email me I can give you more suggestions, vegasgirl425 at gmail dot com.

Really enjoying your review Vegas Chic. Always said I would never be on a mega ship but just might one day.

On another topic I see you have been to Vegas numerous times--I have to be there on a short business trip first week of November. Don't see any headliners booked I care to see and we are in a nongaming hotel. What should I do on my free day--love really good food and would love to see a good entertainment show (no magic).

Hi!! Thank you so much!!

I totally loved Jamaica everyone I encountered was beyond friendly. The beaches there are gorgeous, I plan to visit again on a land vacation.

VEGAS!!! My home away from home (completely love this city!) Have you ever been?

This is how much I love Vegas:

6 Months ago renewing our 10 wedding vows:

10296867465_b21cfd248b_c.jpg

One and a half years ago celebrating our nine year anniversary:

10296772974_b02b00bb23_o.jpg

And 10 years ago on our wedding day at Caesars Palace:

10296962185_cffbf7f361_c.jpg

I have thousands, but I won't bore everyone on a non-cruise related topic but since you mentioned Vegas I couldn't resist.

So quickly: my favorite hotel is "THE Encore at The Wynn" I also love the Venetian. Shows, my recommendation is "Le Reve" at the Wynn or "O" at the Bellagio. I've seen mostly all of them Mystere, Ka, Love, O, Le Reve, Siegfried and Roy, Mama Mia, etc. I could be here all day. Food - So many choices all great too!!

I would do my research on tripadvisor or Cheapo vegas - Cheapo Vegas gives funny reviews and honest descriptions of everything vegas. Tripadvisor gives you customer reviews on everything from hotels, to shows, to transportation, activities, nightlife and restaurants. There is also an APP i own I think it's called ivegas (can't recall). Or you can email me I can give you more suggestions, vegasgirl425 at gmail dot com.

What beautiful pictures!! Congratulations on the wedding and renewal! The camera loves you both! :)

This will be DH's 1st time and my second. I really didn't do too much sightseeing when I visited so I am really doing my research for this trip!

Thanks so much for the recommendations!! I'm going to download that app now!

You have been a great help!