OK-how do I handle this? Laptop missing on flight

greatam

The last place I saw my laptop was about 5:10AM this morning at MCI. I put it into my Tutto portable office case in the middle compartment after security. Then I found a seat until time to board the plane. Took my book out and waited for my turn to board the plane. I was sitting in seat 22A. The case and my emergency oxygen concentrator were the only things I had with me. Plane took off and I IMMEDIATELY fell sound asleep. I can sleep soundly ANYPLACE. And I had been up since yesterday morning. In fact, the FA had to wake me up on approach.

Got off the plane, got my checked suitcase, got my car and drove home 100+ miles. Pulled my suitcase, my Tutto and my oxygen concentrator out of the car into the house. Stuck the suitcase and oxygen in the bedroom and wheeled the Tutto to my home office. Opened up the Tutto to get out some paperwork and my laptop is MISSING.

I IMMEDIATELY called MCI TSA. They said they don't have it. US Air says I have to write them an email. They gave me a number to call for lost and found BUT that person told me it would be 24-48 hours before any lost and found items would be logged in (wow, that's a great system!!!).

This is an almost new laptop (purchased in July). NOT a lot of stuff in it, as it has Windows 8 and is totally incompatible with the office system and my other laptop. I am not PARTICULARLY worried about security although maybe I should be. I am not that computer saavy to really understand all the ramifications. I had really only used it to access email and MAYBE my bank account. And for Google and Google maps to find a couple of places and some info on a customer.

Homeowners insurance would cover it but with the deductible and potential for increased premiums, I don't want to file a claim. I just think it is awfully strange that I had it at TSA security in Kansas City and I get home and it is missing. Suggestions? And what's with US Air and their 24-48 hours to log in lost and found stuff. Should I be particularly worried about computer security? This is a totally new one on me.

Damn....

Let's try running down the sequence.

1) Laptop put into carry-on AFTER the TSA screening. (OK)

2) Bag was in my possession walking to the gate (OK)

3) Bag was in my possession while waiting at gate (??)

4) Bag went into overhead as I boarded (??)

5) Sat in seat and slept (??)

6) Bag was in my possession as I walked off aircraft (??)

7) Bag was in my possession as I retrieved checked bag off carousel (??)

8) Bag was in my possession to retrieve car (??)

9) Bag was in trunk on drive home (??)

10) Bag was brought into house on arrival home (??)

11) Laptop was not in bag when opened at home (CRAP!!)

So, where are the potential points where it could have been removed from the bag? It seems there are only four spots.

A) Someone took it from the bag while in the gate area. Had you walked away from the bag while waiting for the flight?

B) Someone took it from the bag while onboard the aircraft. Since you were asleep, you have no knowledge if anyone was poking around in the overhead bin.

C) Someone took it from the bag while you were retrieving the checked bag from the carousel. If you are focused on the carousel, your attention isn't on the carry-on.

D) Someone took it from the bag while on a parking lot shuttle. If you put the carry-on in a rack, it could have been outside your immediate control.

Given all of those possibilities, I'd tend to bet on B. Not that this makes it any easier for you, but I thought I'd give you a flow-chart to think about.

I don't think that US will be able/interested in following up. It's not like a lost item, as if you had forgotten it in the seatback pocket or left the whole bag in the overhead. They probably don't want to admit that there might be theft onboard, even though it is a growing problem according to reports I've read.

Sorry to hear about this.

Given all of those possibilities, I'd tend to bet on B. Not that this makes it any easier for you, but I thought I'd give you a flow-chart to think about.

I don't think that US will be able/interested in following up. It's not like a lost item, as if you had forgotten it in the seatback pocket or left the whole bag in the overhead. They probably don't want to admit that there might be theft onboard, even though it is a growing problem according to reports I've read.

Sorry to hear about this.

Thanks

I went through the same check list. That Tutto office bag is just so handy with it's 4 wheels and bungee cord to hold your other luggage, the handle is long and I keep it in my hand or the bungee cord hooked to it's little holder in my hand, so it wasn't out of my sight nor not even out of contact with me. Could someone have opened it up while I was standing there waiting for luggage, even though I had the handle in my hand? I suppose, except it was pretty quiet in Phoenix that early this morning. So not a lot of motion and people around. And as much as I fly, I usually stand quite a ways back. I am not one to jump up there when my suitcase comes out of the chute. It will come back around in a short amount of time when it is not a "panic" to get it off the carousel.

I'm betting on B also. I sleep soundly where ever I am. And I fall asleep VERY easily on planes and don't wake up unless there is a lot of jostling around me. I was sitting next to two 40 something females going to a convention in Phoenix. They were pretty quiet and just got out their books to read. I didn't even hear the FA come around with drinks.

I learned a good lesson this morning. That Tutto bag has to be laid on it's side to fit in the overhead. And I laid it down with the opening facing out towards the cabin. NEXT TIME, it will be the wheels facing the cabin and the opening against the overhead wall. Yes, it will be a PIA to put it in the overhead like that but the center section opens soooo easily (one of the beauties of the bag), it also makes it very vulnerable to someone opening it up.

They could have opened the overhead, unzipped it very easily without ever moving the bag and viola, there was my laptop right in plain view.

For those who don't know about these bags, this is what I have. One of the best laptop bags I have ever had. LOTS of room for paperwork, a change of clothes, camera, books and some toiletries.

http://store.tutto.com/wide-office-on-wheels-1/

OP, I'm sorry this happened to you. I agree with others that you will probably not get much help from the airline, since you can't prove the loss occurred on the flight. I hope you had your laptop insured.

In-flight theft is uncommon, but it can happen. I once returned from a visit to the bathroom on a half full night-time flight, to find a woman sitting in my seat and going through my bag. Fortunately, I had money, passport and tickets on my person and nothing of value was in the bag, so I lost nothing.

The woman was brazen and tried to indicate that the bag and the seat were hers and that I had mistaken my seat. It was on a flight in Brazil. The woman spoke Portuguese (I think) and I did not. Flight attendants had all disappeared as soon as the cabin lights were turned off. Due to language problems, a foreign country and my need to continue my journey, I took no further action.

However, I now never leave any hand luggage unlocked. It might not prevent someone getting into my bag, but at least it may slow them down.

Greatam.....remember the discussion a couple years back on locks vs cable ties vs nothing??

Time to bring that back, but with a focus on carry-ons??

FWIW, Mrs FT brings a stash of cable ties and zips them on before going to sleep. Or when the bag is in an overhead away from where she's sitting. She keeps a small "inner" bag from Red Oxx with her, with the "stuff" she needs onboard (such as kindle and iPod and Kippie). Me...I'm still a lock guy - I misplace the nail clippers to open the zip ties. ;) And I use similar Red Oxx bags myself - which I find is a great bag for lots of uses.

Greatam.....remember the discussion a couple years back on locks vs cable ties vs nothing??

Time to bring that back, but with a focus on carry-ons??

FWIW, Mrs FT brings a stash of cable ties and zips them on before going to sleep. Or when the bag is in an overhead away from where she's sitting. She keeps a small "inner" bag from Red Oxx with her, with the "stuff" she needs onboard (such as kindle and iPod and Kippie). Me...I'm still a lock guy - I misplace the nail clippers to open the zip ties. ;) And I use similar Red Oxx bags myself - which I find is a great bag for lots of uses.

How ironic. I just looked in the side compartment and sure enough, there are about 10 bright green florescent cable ties. They are there for OTHER luggage. I don't think I have EVER locked/cable tied a carryon. Guess I am going to have to now. I would have never even thought of someone stealing something out of the overhead unless it was laying around in plain sight.

That little bag is pretty cool. Just what I need-ANOTHER bag. I am a luggage/accessory junkie. Have so much luggage, so many small bags to hold all kinds of stuff purchased all over the world. Most women have shoes or clothes-I have luggage. But I like the story that it was made to carry tire chains. Must be pretty sturdy and a decent price for that quality. May be getting some of those for my employees for Xmas. Thanks for the idea.

Very sorry to hear about the laptop. You should file a police report even if you don't file an insurance claim. Sometimes that stuff plays out in unexpected ways. The laptop manufacturer may maintain a database of stolen serial numbers, so contact them. Depending on the specific software, the publishers can sometimes disable it if you have the authentication key.

Did your laptop come with locating and "data wiping" software for exactly this situation?

This is a cautionary tale to me. I realize I often leave trinkets on my seat or seatback pocket while I use the lav, stretch my legs, etc. I would never do that in a Starbucks or hotel lobby. So, the loss of your laptop wasn't totally in vain if there's consolation in that.

Last year I left a pair of expensive Rx reading glasses draped outside the seatback pocket. We had a very tight connection and rushed off the plane. As soon as we settled onto the second flight I realized my mistake. I had the tail number of the first plane and recalled them saying it was continuing to Cancun. The crew went out of their way to help...the pilot even sent a message for the GA to retrieve the glasses when the plane arrived in CUN. The FA brought back the cockpit printouts and had jotted down the number of lost & found! When the plane arrived in CUN they did not find the glasses and nobody turned them in. Just relating that even when the airline is very proactive and the item has little value to anyone but the owner, it still gets pinched.

Greatam,

I am so sorry to read about your computer. This should be a cautionary tale for all of us when we travel.

I wish I had something to offer you since you have been such a fantastic aide on the Cruise Air forum.

I agree you should report it to the computer manufacturer. The police in Arizona will probably tell you there is nothing they can do since the theft may have occurred elsewhere, but it couldn't hurt.

At least I'll be duly diligent when we fly to PHX next month.

Be very careful about filing a homeowners claim. Years ago we left our camera behind in a taxi in Mexico. This was our second in a year because a few months earlier we claimed on my wedding ring set that was stolen. So I called the insurance company and they told me to file. Guess what? I was then cancelled and NO ONE would insurance me for less then triple the cost of my previous fees. So for a wedding ring they never paid on (because I couldn't prove who stole it) and a $200 camera I was penalized with triple homeowner insurance fees. Never, ever again. I asked them afterwards, why would I file a claim for $200 and then pay $600 more per year for the same coverage? Not our problem.

Very sorry to hear about the laptop. You should file a police report even if you don't file an insurance claim. Sometimes that stuff plays out in unexpected ways. The laptop manufacturer may maintain a database of stolen serial numbers, so contact them. Depending on the specific software, the publishers can sometimes disable it if you have the authentication key.

Did your laptop come with locating and "data wiping" software for exactly this situation?

I did file a police report in KC. Phoenix PD wouldn't even speak to me. Told me to call TSA and airline security.

Explain about the software, disabling and "data wiping" please. Beyond my expertise and I don't want to have to pay for a visit by the IT guy who takes care of our systems if it is something I can do myself.

The computer is an HP, with AMD processor and the ONLY software since manufacture that has been added is something I put on there (found it on the internet) to get the START button back. The computer came with Office Pro already installed (and that version is incompatible with the older version on our office systems other than Word and Excel). I HATE windows 8. Just too much crap I will NEVER use with all the social media, music, etc. etc. in all those tiles. Loved the computer (more for it's very light weight and fantastic screen display) than anything else. IF I get another one, I am going to have someone wipe windows 8 and either install windows 7 which can be downgraded to XP or just wipe out the hard drive right from day 1 and install XP. Then it will work with our VERY expensive proprietary TMS/dispatch software used in all three offices.

Thanks for any help.

Just a side question. What credit card did you use. Many cover loss/theft of a new item especially those premium cards from Amex and VISA.

I purchased the plane ticket with my Starwood Amex. The computer was purchased direct from HP on a company PO #. So do you mean I may have coverage with the Starwood card? Thanks

Be very careful about filing a homeowners claim. Years ago we left our camera behind in a taxi in Mexico. This was our second in a year because a few months earlier we claimed on my wedding ring set that was stolen. So I called the insurance company and they told me to file. Guess what? I was then cancelled and NO ONE would insurance me for less then triple the cost of my previous fees. So for a wedding ring they never paid on (because I couldn't prove who stole it) and a $200 camera I was penalized with triple homeowner insurance fees. Never, ever again. I asked them afterwards, why would I file a claim for $200 and then pay $600 more per year for the same coverage? Not our problem.

For all the reasons you posted, I won't be filing a homeowner's claim. The deductible is only about $600 less than the price of the computer, so I wouldn't get much. Plus the increased premiums or possible cancellation (although I don't think that would happen as the house is insured on a commercial policy that also covers three warehouses and offices). It is not just a normal homeowner's policy. Thanks

Greatam,

I am so sorry to read about your computer. This should be a cautionary tale for all of us when we travel.

I wish I had something to offer you since you have been such a fantastic aide on the Cruise Air forum.

I agree you should report it to the computer manufacturer. The police in Arizona will probably tell you there is nothing they can do since the theft may have occurred elsewhere, but it couldn't hurt.

At least I'll be duly diligent when we fly to PHX next month.

Thanks for the compliment. Glad I can use my expertise for something FUN.

I will call the HP sales office in Phoenix tomorrow. That is where we purchase most of our equipment. I am a BIG believer in HP because of their fantastic warranty-all our multi purpose machines have a warranty where we call, they send us a new one overnight and a return label to send back the old one. Can't beat that. We have few problems with our office PC's other than software.

Phoenix PD told me to call TSA and airline security. They weren't interested in the least. But Kansas City PD did take a report over the phone and are sending me something to sign and return.

If I asked if planes had surveillance cameras inside I suppose the answer would be no?

Good lesson for many of us--thanks.

The answer is no. As I have posted a couple of times I would never even think of someone stealing out of the overhead during a flight unless it was like a camera or something laying in there in plain sight. I fly a LOT every year so this is a new one on me.

greatam, so sorry! I am also a great sleeper on planes. Have been worried about stuff being stolen while I'm sleeping. I don't travel with a lap top but do have an iPhone and Kindle. I sleep with my iPhone in my pocket and my Kindle well hidden, but will upgrade that.

I am also a user of Red Oxx bags and have many of the Lil Roy bags as we use them to keep tools and equipment sorted out while traveling.

I'm with the majority that Plan B was what happened and your computer was stolen while you slept and it walked off the plane in someone else's bag.

Good luck in sorting things out.

Sorry to hear about the laptop, Greatam. But, it does serve as a tale to all of us that even the most experienced, seasoned, traveler does run into issues...

I still lock up any carryon I have, but it is to keep the prying hands of the TSA out of it. When I get through the security show, I unlock it. I will once again start to secure it for the entire trip. It's a sad commentary on society where we have to think that our little bag of stuff in an airplane is not immune from theft.

I purchased the plane ticket with my Starwood Amex. The computer was purchased direct from HP on a company PO #. So do you mean I may have coverage with the Starwood card? Thanks

Can't hurt to check. Some cards cover theft/loss within a certain period of time. Some also offer extended warranties (usually double the manufacturer's warranty up to an additional year).

What a shame... Very frustrating situation. You may get lucky and get it back.

Some good friends of mine traveled to San Francisco ( they are from Brazil ). They rented a car and unwisely left their laptop in the backseat while touring a museum. A thief broke the window and stole their laptop as well as other valuables. They filed a police report.

Believe it or not , six months later they were contacted by the polces saying their laptop had been reovered. It was sent to them by the police. There were lovely pictures of the gang bangers who had stole it downloaded on the computer ( no joke!).

My friends were very impressed by the American police.

Good luck...I really hope you find your laptop.

After reading so many horror stories about theft while traveling I started to educate myself about travel crime. I started to look for experts in the field and I came across Corporate Travel Safety that was run by Detective Kevin Coffey. Detective Coffey is the founder of the Airport Crimes Investigations Detail in LA and in my mind he is an expert. On his web site there are many ideas on keeping your travel safer.

He also offers an audio book Traveler Beware! I have learned many handy ideas from this book and listen to it often when I am about to travel as a refresher. Theft on airplanes while not common does happen according to Kevin. He suggests you always lock your luggage and if you can put your carryon on the opposite side of you so you can keep an eye on it better. He also suggest in other areas of his book to place your laptop in bags like pacsafe that are not easily opened.

Other areas of the airport that are dangerous for crime is the TSA screening area. In the news you hear about TSA theft from TSA personnel but there are also gangs that work these areas too. How the theft works is once you put your bag on the conveyor two people will get in front of you. The first one will go right through security but the second will have things on him that will trigger metal detectors thus slowing down the line. At the other end the first person will walk off with your bag.

There are also other areas of the airport that you cannot let your guard down including bathrooms.

Shak

http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?fsbb_key=44.24.12.8.36.25.211.7.38.24.411.8&7df46d06=df46d06&de9bf013=MTM4MTEwMjgwMg%3D%3D&my_email=&keywords=book

http://www.kevincoffey.com/

http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com/catalog/index.php

After reading so many horror stories about theft while traveling I started to educate myself about travel crime. I started to look for experts in the field and I came across Corporate Travel Safety that was run by Detective Kevin Coffey. Detective Coffey is the founder of the Airport Crimes Investigations Detail in LA and in my mind he is an expert. On his web site there are many ideas on keeping your travel safer.

He also offers an audio book Traveler Beware! I have learned many handy ideas from this book and listen to it often when I am about to travel as a refresher. Theft on airplanes while not common does happen according to Kevin. He suggests you always lock your luggage and if you can put your carryon on the opposite side of you so you can keep an eye on it better. He also suggest in other areas of his book to place your laptop in bags like pacsafe that are not easily opened.

Other areas of the airport that are dangerous for crime is the TSA screening area. In the news you hear about TSA theft from TSA personnel but there are also gangs that work these areas too. How the theft works is once you put your bag on the conveyor two people will get in front of you. The first one will go right through security but the second will have things on him that will trigger metal detectors thus slowing down the line. At the other end the first person will walk off with your bag.

There are also other areas of the airport that you cannot let your guard down including bathrooms.

Shak

http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?fsbb_key=44.24.12.8.36.25.211.7.38.24.411.8&7df46d06=df46d06&de9bf013=MTM4MTEwMjgwMg%3D%3D&my_email=&keywords=book

http://www.kevincoffey.com/

http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com/catalog/index.php

As long as there has been the "mag and bag" at airports, I NEVER EVER put my belongings on the moving belt until I am actually walking through the WTMD. If no WTMD, I always opt out, so my bags go with me then. TSA says my bags must always be within eyesight, so I will insist on that one.

Something else I've always done with my laptop and now my tablet: I either tape one of my business cards to the TOP of the laptop or the bottom of the tablet. It distinguishes my laptop from the others when I'm required to remove it at TSA (if I don't get Pre-Check'd). It also helps as a "lost & found" beacon. If you don't want to be so bold, you can make a label with your business info on it.... I learned this when I'd travel to the Bay Area and you would see 4-5 IBM Thinkpads on the belt at the same time...

As long as there has been the "mag and bag" at airports, I NEVER EVER put my belongings on the moving belt until I am actually walking through the WTMD. If no WTMD, I always opt out, so my bags go with me then. TSA says my bags must always be within eyesight, so I will insist on that one.

Something else I've always done with my laptop and now my tablet: I either tape one of my business cards to the TOP of the laptop or the bottom of the tablet. It distinguishes my laptop from the others when I'm required to remove it at TSA (if I don't get Pre-Check'd). It also helps as a "lost & found" beacon. If you don't want to be so bold, you can make a label with your business info on it.... I learned this when I'd travel to the Bay Area and you would see 4-5 IBM Thinkpads on the belt at the same time...

That's something I wouldn't have thought of doing. I travel with a netbook so I'm going to look for some brightly colored labels - no business card since I'm retired.

I'm curious how you accomplish this. At airports like JFK and PHX, the scanners are quite a little ways from the moving part of the belts (about 15 feet at PHX). The TSA people make you put your stuff on the belt, THEN line you up to go through the scanners.

I learned this when I'd travel to the Bay Area and you would see 4-5 IBM Thinkpads on the belt at the same time...

I can relate. Had an IBM Thinkpad for years. And all those Thinkpads at JFK all looked alike rolling down the belt, particularly on a business heavy nonstop like the JFK/LAX AA flights. I had a red fingernail polish stripe on mine. My old HP is silver and the new missing laptop is bright red. Don't see a lot of ones like the silver and who knows about the red. Didn't have it long enough to find out.

After reading so many horror stories about theft while traveling I started to educate myself about travel crime.

As much traveling as I do, I really thought I pretty much had it under control. NEVER lost anything before-nothing stolen, nothing scammed, not even lost except one purple sock 35 years ago and a pillow I left at a motel which they actually sent back to me.

It is still a shock that my laptop disappeared OFF the plane. That one I was NOT expecting.

Archived