Munchkins in they're own cabin.

Jenjer

Our kids are getting bigger and we have decided its time to get 2 cabins. Suites look awesome but we could still use 2 bathrooms. Not to mention the big suites are more than we want to spend.

The cost for 3rd and 4th person seems so high its not much more to get 2 cabins.

We are looking at Oasis and thinking of a inside for the kids and balcony for the parents.

Do I need to make the reservations 1 adult and 1 child per room? Can we get extra keys for each room? So the kids have a key for us and we have a key for them.

Do we keep the reservation 1 kid 1 adult or change it when we check in? Not sure what RCCL policy is on minors in their own staterooms.

As far as I know but please correct me if I am wrong only Freedom has balcony connected to a oceaview. So the cabins will not be connecting.

From memory, policy is that you have to have at least one person 18+ in a stateroom unless the other stateroom is connected, immediately adjacent, or immediately opposite the stateroom the adults will be in.

You may not be able to get extra keys for each room as your card also doubles as your pass on/off the ship while in port.

You might find it better to split it across one adult/child per room for other reasons, e.g. if one of the adults wanted a drinks package but the other isn't a big drinker, they could potentially get it without the other adult also needing to get it as you'd be in separate rooms.

Yes, call RCI and make this reservation. You need to have one adult in each cabin and you can switch/adjust keys while onboard. As far as I know (but haven't tried it) they won't give you a key to the kids room. The key is tied to the seapass, but I could be wrong.

You could also consider a balcony connecting cabin, but the costs would be higher as they would both be balconies.

We prefer connecting cabins as that way we can enter both cabins with one key as the inside door is open. It's nice to have everyone within reach. This is important if the kids are small.

We haven't yet tried the outside/inside cabin arrangement.

From memory, policy is that you have to have at least one person 18+ in a stateroom unless the other stateroom is connected, immediately adjacent, or immediately opposite the stateroom the adults will be in.

You may not be able to get extra keys for each room as your card also doubles as your pass on/off the ship while in port.

You might find it better to split it across one adult/child per room for other reasons, e.g. if one of the adults wanted a drinks package but the other isn't a big drinker, they could potentially get it without the other adult also needing to get it as you'd be in separate rooms.

Regaring the adult drink package: What I read was that if one adult in a cabin purchases the adult drink package, all adults have too. I believe they do this so that one person isn't ordering drinks for the one that didn't pay. Can't recall where I read that but it was either on this board or RCIs website.

As stated above, one adult and one child listed in each stateroom is the rule. You can book 2 adults and 2 kids only if the rooms are side by side or directly across from one another.

Once onboard, you simply stop by guest services and tell them and ask for blank key cards so that everyone has access to the room they are really sleeping in. It is common and guest services should have no problem with this. (note, it does mean one adult and one child will end up carrying two cards--the true seapass card and the room key).

Even if you get connecting cabins (in which case you CAN book the kids in their own rooms), as noted above, there are advantages to putting an adult in each room. hat allows you to bring on 4 bottles of your own wine, two per stateroom for each room that has someone of age in it, etc.

Additionally, we have had side by side rooms that have not been in the same lifeboat/muster station. In the event of an actual emergency I DO want one of us with each kid (even now that they are self sufficient older teens--I can't help it I worry), so booking an adult in each room makes that happen.

Yes, call RCI and make this reservation. You need to have one adult in each cabin and you can switch/adjust keys while onboard. As far as I know (but haven't tried it) they won't give you a key to the kids room. The key is tied to the seapass, but I could be wrong.

You could also consider a balcony connecting cabin, but the costs would be higher as they would both be balconies.

We prefer connecting cabins as that way we can enter both cabins with one key as the inside door is open. It's nice to have everyone within reach. This is important if the kids are small.

We haven't yet tried the outside/inside cabin arrangement.

We have had blank keys issued on 6 different RCI ships. It is never an issue. The extra key is not linked to the seapass card in any way. It is only a key.

Regaring the adult drink package: What I read was that if one adult in a cabin purchases the adult drink package, all adults have too. I believe they do this so that one person isn't ordering drinks for the one that didn't pay. Can't recall where I read that but it was either on this board or RCIs website.

Correct! Which means, if you book ONE adult and ONE child in each of two staterooms, you have found a loophole and could book the package for only one person if only one drinks. We haven't done it, but have considered it; I hardly drink at all and would rather have a soda package if DH were to get the alcohol package. It is a nice little side benefit of having two rooms with kids.

We currently have two connecting PR rooms booked, with the grandchildren next to us.

Booked direct with a RC rep, no problem. However one small problem that has come up is that when I bring the reservation up on the website to make a payment, I can't do it unless I make the age of one of the kids over 21. So, my solution has been to do this, and then after completeing payments I'll call RC and be sure the birthdays are correct.

We have had blank keys issued on 6 different RCI ships. It is never an issue. The extra key is not linked to the seapass card in any way. It is only a key.

AWESOME! I didn't know that was an option. Of course, I didn't ask either. :)

As stated above, one adult and one child listed in each stateroom is the rule. You can book 2 adults and 2 kids only if the rooms are side by side or directly across from one another.

Once onboard, you simply stop by guest services and tell them and ask for blank key cards so that everyone has access to the room they are really sleeping in. It is common and guest services should have no problem with this. (note, it does mean one adult and one child will end up carrying two cards--the true seapass card and the room key).

Even if you get connecting cabins (in which case you CAN book the kids in their own rooms), as noted above, there are advantages to putting an adult in each room. hat allows you to bring on 4 bottles of your own wine, two per stateroom for each room that has someone of age in it, etc.

Additionally, we have had side by side rooms that have not been in the same lifeboat/muster station. In the event of an actual emergency I DO want one of us with each kid (even now that they are self sufficient older teens--I can't help it I worry), so booking an adult in each room makes that happen.

This has been my experience also. On our last cruise we had connecting rooms and I tried to book the kids in one room and my DH and I in the other, but they would not let me do it that way. I know others have but it has not been my experience. Now with the ablilty to carry on two bottles of wine, I am more than happy to book an adult in each cabin. :D

We are hoping to get the cabins directly accrossed form each other.

We might just splurge on connecting balconys...not sure yet

So I can get the extra key at guest services on board the ship? not at check in?

We thought about the alcohol package but we just don't drink enough even together to justify it. Maybe in our younger days but not now. Now if it included starbucks we would totally do it.

AWESOME! I didn't know that was an option. Of course, I didn't ask either. :)

They are nice to have :) It works on Disney and Celebrity (and presumably other lines) as well. We have even done it for my in law's room because my mother in law is infamous for locking her key in her room, and then she could just track us down for a spare--less embarrassing (to her) than going by GS over and over during the week.

Just to clarify it isn't necessary to book an adult in each cabin....as long as your children are next door or opposite it's fine, and the cabins do not need to be connecting. We have sailed this way several times and are doing do again on the Indy next month. So you can book one adult in each room, but you don't have to, the choice is yours. Additional cabin keys without any charging privileges (so literally just spare keys) can be picked up at guest services no problem.

:)

We started booking our daughters into their own cabin when they reached about 10 and 12...typically right across the hall from us...never had connecting rooms...

We never had to play any games with putting an adult in each room...

Royal Caribbean and Celebrity both let us just book the girls separately...Saves a lot of hassle and confusion....

Of course our daughters are now 27 and 29...We last took them with us on Mariner of the Seas this last December...still got them the cabin across the hall (for that one a promenade view across from our oceanview balcony)...No, we didn't book one of us in each room for that one either--of course, it's not necessary...BUT, I'm wondering, IF we had, could we have collected double Crown and Anchor points? We're not quite to Diamond plus yet and an extra 14 points would have helped greatly...

The term "children" is being used very loosely here.

I am not sure that the requirements are identical for

Parents cruising with their own children. (can be in adjacent, adjoining, or directly across the hall without booking an adult and a child in each room)

Adults cruising with children who are NOT their own sons/daughters. (may require the one adult/one child in cabin booking)

From my experience, once on board they don't really care who sleeps where, as long as you are able to be close enough to oversee the kids. Guest services has always been very helpful swapping room assignments and printing additional keys. We had our 3 boys across the hall many times, but had to split the parents at booking. Even did that for a New Years cruise a few years ago when one son was 19, and his friend was 20 (nobody over 21). Went to guest services and they let us alter as needed even though the boys were aft and we were 3/4 forward on same deck.

Another loophole aside from drink packages I haven't seen mentioned is if parents are in 2 diff cabins, they can each bring their allotted 2 bottles of wine on board. If the kids were booked in one cabin, and parents another, you would be limited to only 2...

...BUT, I'm wondering, IF we had, could we have collected double Crown and Anchor points? We're not quite to Diamond plus yet and an extra 14 points would have helped greatly...

No change there. You each accumulate your own points and since you are probably 'linked' as husband/wife you are both credited with the highest individual point level.

Archived