Coffee Shop / Coffee question - DAWN

alwayslisad

Hello all

DH and I love our coffee. Is there a coffee shop on the Dawn? what is the cost if so. If not how is the coffee otherwise?

There is a coffee shop in the atrium on the Dawn. There is a cost associated with the cafe, but I'm not sure what it is. If you want free coffee, you can get it in all of the restaurants. And if you are in a balcony stateroom or higher category, you can make coffee in your stateroom for free as well.

Regular coffee at the coffee shop is free, the only cost is for specialty coffee's and pastry.

I thought the only charge was for the specialty coffee, not the pastries....

The Dawn atrium coffee shop is somewhat unique....that is in also offering the aforementioned urn's of free regular (self-serve) coffee nearby, as well as the for fee coffee served at the counter. I haven't been on any other ships, on any line, that offer free regular coffee in the atrium cafe. The only ship that came close, was the 'X' Silhouette, that had a free coffee bar on a balcony, a couple of decks above its atrium cafe.

To be perfectly honest, with only a couple of exceptions, coffee on all NCL ships is poor to middling. Very weak and almost no flavor to it. I found one coffee maker on the Pearl that is pretty good, but nothing on the Dawn. If you are lucky enough to be in one of the suite (not a mini-suite) the coffee maker is pretty good. But that is about it.

In the MDR's I would always ask the waiter if they could make the coffee a little stronger for me - and sometimes they would and sometimes they tried to "upsell" it.

The coffee shop special coffee is not bad. Price usually around $3.

I haven't been on any other ships, on any line, that offer free regular coffee in the atrium.

Voyager class ships for RCCL have it in the Cafe Promenade.

At least NCL does real whole beans that are ground on demand, even at the buffett.

Princess, the supposedly more premium line, serves coffee made from syrup.

I thought the only charge was for the specialty coffee, not the pastries....

The Dawn atrium coffee shop is somewhat unique....that is in also offering the aforementioned urn's of free regular (self-serve) coffee nearby, as well as the for fee coffee served at the counter. I haven't been on any other ships, on any line, that offer free regular coffee in the atrium cafe. The only ship that came close, was the 'X' Silhouette, that had a free coffee bar on a balcony, a couple of decks above its atrium cafe.

Yep, your right, my fingers were typing faster than my brain was running!!!:D

Regular coffee and pastries are free.

At least NCL does real whole beans that are ground on demand, even at the buffett.

Coffee like food is a matter of taste. Princess does use syrup (yuck) but I get a coffee card each trip and get my special coffees and fresh brewed coffee at the café.

In May on NCL didn't fid the coffee that bad, weak to be sure but not undrinkable. We had a machine in the cabin but couldn't for the life of me get a good cup from it. I tried everything CC'ers suggested I do with no luck. This time I am getting instructions from the Butler or cabin Steward. Auntie needs her coffee before she even thinks of starting her day. I also paid for my special coffees which I did enjoy at the café, but never saw any pastries. No big deal on the pastries as food is everywhere on a cruise ship :).

The Cafe Promenade on the RCCL Voyageur Class ship's is IMHO, a little bit more elaborate than being just an "atrium cafe"....I would compare it more to NCL's 'Blue Lagoon's", which are located usually in an upper level of the artrium. Perhaps somewhere in-between, as the Blue Lagoon offers table service, and perhaps a more extensive menu, but coffee is free there as well....

Archived