SERIOUS Tuxedo Question.....

ozarkseyeguy

I have to disagree with this statement. I actually haven't seen any sweat suits on any night.

Like you we have never seen sweat suits on a Formal night on any HAL cruise..However don't really pay attention on other nights though..If there were some IMO they were few & far between..BTW we are also 4 star Mariners..

Can't remember for sure, but believe DH only wore his dark suit instead of a Tux on our last Carib. cruise in Nov. 2012..

Cheers..Betty

Just out of curiosity. Does anyone know how much they charge for a tux and shoes on the cruise ?

HAL does not handle the rentals themselves..They will suggest you contact

Cruise Formal Wear ..This is the WEB site & should give you the prices..

http://www.cruiselineformal.com/

The one nice thing is that it will be in your cabin on arrival & if the fit need tweaking I believe there is a person on board who can handle that for you..

Suggest you check out this thread too:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1768442&highlight=tux+rental+prices

Betty

I do not do it purposely..It just happens & don't know how to stop it..if I put a number "00" such as 8:15 p,m. after the colon does it still happen..

8:00 p.m.

Never mind guess I must remember to put the "00" after it..

P.S. Test: 8:00 p.m.

Thanks..Betty

Hmmm..does that little funny face mean something?

Betty, just put a full stop, not a colon, after the 8 - like this: - 8.00 pm then you won't have the cheeky face:)

Personally, I don't worry about looking out of place. I went to a funeral of a friend recently. 300 people there. 4 of us wore suits, all the other men, including pallbearers were in t-shirts and jeans or shorts. Same with a tux on a ship. I will dress up to make myself happy and the DW being happy is a bonus.

Buy a tux. You can pick up nice ones for around $100, which compared to renting saves you a bunch of money.

Just out of curiosity. Does anyone know how much they charge for a tux and shoes on the cruise ?

I posted a lengthy answer to your question on the other tux thread.:)

In case you didn't see it ...

Rental is through CruiselineFormalwear dot com. THE PRICE IS FOR THE WHOLE CRUISE!

They have different packages depending on the ship and itinerary. Offered on our upcoming 15-day TA it was only the basic black tux with 2 shirts (studs, tie, etc.) and shoes totalled around $110-120. This will take care of the four formal nights (after having the shirts cleaned ).

The price also includes insurance for minor damage (spilled wine etc.)

The tux will be hanging in your cabin when you get there and you should try it on immediately. If there are any issues, your room steward can help. There is inventory aboard the ship as well as a taylor I was told.

BTW ... the waist on the trousers will expand slightly in case you do during your cruise.

Hope that helps.

Cheers!

Betty, just put a full stop, not a colon, after the 8 - like this: - 8.00 pm then you won't have the cheeky face:)

It only happens when the colon is immediately before the p.

8: p.m. would work, or just 8 p.m, or 8:00 pm, etc.

OK will try to remember to do better..It's now 5: p.m. & time for happy hour..

Tahnk you both..

Betty

Quote:

Can you tell us on which ships and what itinerary. Thanks. I ask because I have never seen a women in a sweat suit on formal night.

Linda & Vern

where to next?

Most recently, May 2013 Oosterdam to Alaska.

Absolutely wear the tux. You said that you enjoy getting dressed up and with the tux you will be dressed up and your BW will be quite happy.

I have rented a tux. I did not find that to be a happy experience; it did not fit right. Pants too long, sleeves to long, the shirt is not right. So, I bought the whole thing and now it fits. (Unless there is some closet shrink, you know).

Men's Wearhouse is the place to get a tux at very reasonable prices. Have a look.

Enjoy the cruise.

Page

Quote:

Can you tell us on which ships and what itinerary. Thanks. I ask because I have never seen a women in a sweat suit on formal night.

Linda & Vern

where to next?

Most recently, May 2013 Oosterdam to Alaska.

Not a sweat suit but we did see a lady in fleece pajama bottoms and t-shirt wearing her robe in the theater on formal night aboard the Noordam in March :eek: She even sat in the second row up front ... quite comfortable! Did however see the same lady a few nights later (not formal night) in her "sweat suit" in the Piano Bar :eek:

Not a sweat suit but we did see a lady in fleece pajama bottoms and t-shirt wearing her robe in the theater on formal night aboard the Noordam in March :eek: She even sat in the second row up front ... quite comfortable!

Was she also wearing fuzzy Nemo slippers? If so, she may have been the same one who was on my Amsterdam cruise September a year ago. :rolleyes:

Was she also wearing fuzzy Nemo slippers? If so, she may have been the same one who was on my Amsterdam cruise September a year ago. :rolleyes:

Do not remember slippers and I hate to do this, but she was Asian. Same person?

Yes to a tux. DH always wears his, and we've heard passing women whisper "See, dear, I knew you should have brought a tux". A nice compliment.

My suggestion is to start early, and check out thrift stores for a nice tuxedo. Most of the ones on the racks have only been worn once or twice, are in fine condition, and some are very high-end brands, for $10 - $50.

Be a man!...Take a stand!

Thanks for the pep talk!!! I guess I need to borrow some of your courage so I can face that 5'3", 110 lbs of intensity that can shoot laser beams out of her eyes through walls with "the look".:eek: Just kidding dear if you read this.

I have been heartened by the encouragement to wear a tuxedo, so I am leaning that way. Thank you all so much for your advice.

During our last Christmas/New Year's cruise only very, very few men wore a tux. Many people estimated 20-25% earlier in this post, but on our cruise it was certainly less than 10%, probably not even 5. Initially we were not sure whether my husband should buy a tux, but we were very glad we didn't. He only packed a suit and this was even well dressed compared to some. I did expect differently, especially because this was a holiday cruise, but it seems times are changing.

Absolutely wear the tux. You said that you enjoy getting dressed up and with the tux you will be dressed up and your BW will be quite happy.

I have rented a tux. I did not find that to be a happy experience; it did not fit right. Pants too long, sleeves to long, the shirt is not right. So, I bought the whole thing and now it fits. (Unless there is some closet shrink, you know).

Men's Wearhouse is the place to get a tux at very reasonable prices. Have a look.

Enjoy the cruise.

Page

Mens Wearhouse does have a nice selection. I received an email from them this morning announcing a two for one sale. Someone can purchase a suit and get a tux for equal or lesser value for no extra charge. I did this at MWH a couple years ago. In my case, I purchased a nice sport coat and got the tux for free.

Archived