Quick help please - Considering staying on the Dream in Belize-what to do?

wannago35

We were supposed to do a cave tubing excursion but knee has been bothering me (arthritis) and DH is worried I may not make the walk or make matters worse. Didn't really see much else to do in Belize besides shop. Also considered Altun Ha but just not sure if we want to do that.

Considering just tendering into port for a bit, shopping a little and returning to the ship. Besides eating, is there anything going on onboard while the Dream will be in this port? Does anyone have a fun times from that port please?

Also, does anyone know if there is somewhere at the Belize port that we can buy some pineapple rum? I tasted some at a jewelry party a few years back and it was delicious! Would love to buy some while there.

Thanks for any help, we leave in 4 days and I'm beyond excited!

If your knee is bothering you, Altun Ha may not be very fun. We did that one and there is a lot of walking and climbing steps on that tour.

On the Conquest they did lifeboat drills for the crew when we were in Belize, so you could watch that. They also have limited onboard activities, but some of the trivia and other things are sparely populated so you have a better chance of winning a ship on a stick.

I hate that you'd have to miss Belize, it's one of my favorite places. But, if you must, why don't you grab a lounger in the Serenity and catch up with a great book? I like to bring my pillow up on deck and take a little nappy!:D

Love your name, I am a huge fan of Abita beers.

Anywhere good to same local lunch? We did cave tubing (not thru CCL unfortunately) and we had a harrowing hour walk carrying our tubes overhead in the hot jungle. While its interesting to say we did it, I wouldn't do it again, unless someone had a much better time thru CCL. Other than local island /port food, I wouldn't bother getting off either. Belize was not awestriking for us... Thank goodness for Roatan!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

Edited by TwinPrincessMermaids

When making your decision, remember how long the tender ride is.

In some ports, such as Grand Cayman, the tender ride is quick, it takes longer for the boat to load than the tender ride.

In Belize, the tender is upwards of 25-30 minutes. You can hardly see Belize from where the ship anchors. Do you want to take that length of a tender to spend just a little time there?

When we cruised in April, we decided not to get off the boat, and we don't regret it. We got to see so many other beautiful places, and while some people are very favorable of Belize as a port. Many reviews say that Belize is beautiful when you stay with a regimented excursion, however it was cautioned not to go off on your own.

Also, if your knee is bothering you, it may not hurt to give it a day off so you can really enjoy your other ports of call.

When we were in Belize we did the high speed boat tour up the river, to the land rovers, and took those off road, to the caves to explore the bat caves. It was alot of fun and we got to see the gorgeous countryside and talk to the locals, then took a bus back to the ship. It was a Carnival excursion and one that we would probably do again. Just an idea, there isn't much walking though the land rover part is pretty bumpy.

Don't know about the Rum, we are going to Jamaica and will be able to hit the Appleton Rum Estate, but I don't know where in Belize to get some.

We were supposed to do a cave tubing excursion but knee has been bothering me (arthritis) and DH is worried I may not make the walk or make matters worse. Didn't really see much else to do in Belize besides shop. Also considered Altun Ha but just not sure if we want to do that.

Considering just tendering into port for a bit, shopping a little and returning to the ship. Besides eating, is there anything going on onboard while the Dream will be in this port? Does anyone have a fun times from that port please?

Also, does anyone know if there is somewhere at the Belize port that we can buy some pineapple rum? I tasted some at a jewelry party a few years back and it was delicious! Would love to buy some while there.

Thanks for any help, we leave in 4 days and I'm beyond excited!

We booked to a island through Coral Breeze and had a great time. Here is the link

http://www.coralbreezetours.com/current_category.23/gallery_list.htmlk. You do not have to leave the cruise port.

DH is leaning towards just staying on the ship, he's worried I'll make matters worse with the knee and thought a day off would be a good idea. I really hate to cruise to a country I've never been to before and not see the sights tho. May just play it by ear (or "knee" in this case) and see how I feel that day and if not, will take abitaturbodog's advice and hit the serenity deck or try to win a ship on a stick (what is that anyway?).

Thank you hawaiissunshine1 had no idea the tender was a 30 min. ride. And thanks to everyone for your suggestions and advice!

...Don't know about the Rum, we are going to Jamaica and will be able to hit the Appleton Rum Estate, but I don't know where in Belize to get some.

We loved the Appleton Rum Estate, taste testing was fun too :) Enjoy!

Our 1st time to Belize we took a city/country tour. Booked it right off the tender for 25.00 and it was interesting.

Not a bad idea, was it on a bus or in a car?

You might want to get an inexpensive knee brace at WalMart for the trip. I always bring one for hiking around on shore. I use the one with metal in it,can walk for miles.Still have not been to Belize. Town,I hear, rather poor, but a great reef off shore somewhere.

Edited by zoncom

• 2 weeks later...

I'm during this excursion in November. Did they pick you up at the ship or did you have to tender to the meet the group?

When we were in Belize we did the high speed boat tour up the river, to the land rovers, and took those off road, to the caves to explore the bat caves. It was alot of fun and we got to see the gorgeous countryside and talk to the locals, then took a bus back to the ship. It was a Carnival excursion and one that we would probably do again. Just an idea, there isn't much walking though the land rover part is pretty bumpy.

Don't know about the Rum, we are going to Jamaica and will be able to hit the Appleton Rum Estate, but I don't know where in Belize to get some.

Edited by tlacabe

I'm during this excursion in November. Did they pick you up at the ship or did you have to tender to the meet the group?

For us, we met in one of the theaters and as a group got onto the tender, then at the pier we met our guide. Depending on how many groups they have doing this tour (we had 2 an early group and a later group) one will run in reverse. So you may do the boat portion first, or you may end up taking the buses to the caves and doing that portion first. Either way it is a ton of fun, and driving the land rovers through the mud and ruts was a blast! Just remember your license if you plan on driving and the land rovers are manuals. Oh and bring some cash, there are some ladies selling plate lunches of the local cuisine, both at the boat landing and the caves. It was pretty tasty if you are adventuresome. If not the fresh fruit and rum punch is free and delicious.

• 3 weeks later...