Eating Dinner in Blu

nngardener

I am an avid "hobby" chef, taking a lot of cooking classes and reading recipe books for FUN! LOL.

I spoke, at length, to the Executive Chef onboard the Solstice cruise from Honolulu to Sydney about the methodology of cooking in BLU and what separates BLU from the MDR in food preparation and philosophy. Basically, I was informed that BLU has the following practices: (1) to under season the food (hence the reason that many people find the food to be bland); the reason for this is consideration for people who need a more salt-restrive diet and the compensation is the placement of salt/pepper mills on the table; (2) the use of healthy oils in food preparation, more nut oils and vegetable oils, and, in conjunction with that, the use of nonstick cookware so that the use of oils is reduced; (3) a lower portion of carbohydrates on the plate; (4) reduced to no use of butter and cream in the preparation of sauces with emphasis on broth and wine reductions.

Also, in reference to personal experience in BLU, I can say that we've gone on both the S-class and M-class ships in AQ. I feel strongly that there are many, many differences in a BLU experience that is dependent on much more than the menu options. The maitre 'd and/or hostess of BLU, the Executive Chef on the ship as well as the Executive Chef of BLU (2 different people). On one M-class sailing, for example, the maitre 'd made a point of allowing anything from the MDR to be ordered in BLU; however, on another M-class sailing, nothing from the MDR was allowed to be ordered. I thought that this was specific to the ship's operation, but now I believe that the maitre 'd was responsible for this decision because people have reported different experiences from mine... and the only change was the maitre 'd.

So, I think that it is difficult to state an absolute about a BLU dining experience. I think that every cruise sailing has many factors that create variability. IMHO.

I will take Blu over the MDR any day. We have twice booked AQ and will have our third one in March. We much prefer the quiet ambiance of Blu over the hustle and bustle of the MDR. On our Silhouette cruise in 2012, we dined in the MDR once as the menu was not appealing to us in BLu. What a disaster, the waiter pretty much ignored us and the noise was a constant dull roar. I prefer to ask my waiter what their recommendation is for the evening as they will know what is the best item on the menu. If you do not care for it say so and order something different. The staff desperately wants you to enjoy yourself and will do what they can. Have even had a special dessert served after commenting about wanting a dessert that was in MDR but not in Blu!;)

snow bunny

I will take Blu over the MDR any day. We have twice booked AQ and will have our third one in March. We much prefer the quiet ambiance of Blu over the hustle and bustle of the MDR. On our Silhouette cruise in 2012, we dined in the MDR once as the menu was not appealing to us in BLu. What a disaster, the waiter pretty much ignored us and the noise was a constant dull roar. I prefer to ask my waiter what their recommendation is for the evening as they will know what is the best item on the menu. If you do not care for it say so and order something different. The staff desperately wants you to enjoy yourself and will do what they can. Have even had a special dessert served after commenting about wanting a dessert that was in MDR but not in Blu!;)

snow bunny

You must have been in the Select dining area (upper deck) Way too much going on there - tables turning, people coming and going just like in Blu. Give me traditional dining (early for us) every time. I always go by my waiters recommendation, love the Sommelier filling my wine glass as we peruse the menu without having to track him down, don't have to tell the waiter that I would like fresh berries and decafe every night. Best of all the tables are farther apart than in Blu. Never see items on the Blu menu that I would like in the MDR but lots of people want MDR options delivered in Blu. That alone tells me a lot!

I will say the service was great in Blu. But the food was so so. Thanks to Cynbar here is a link to some of the menus.

http://eclipse2011ta.webs.com/blumenus.htm

For me the menu was just not great. And yes I'm doing Blu again in May 2014. The worst thing on the menu was the Kobe Meat Loaf. It looked like high end dog food. I will eat many things. Beef, chicken, fish, pork, escargot. I don't want to eat veal, pheasant, quail, duck, lamb. Some of these animals I think of as wild, others to young to eat or just cute. The menu seems to have a lot of these type of animals. Richard

Thanks for posting this Blu menu link. It confirms that my changing our cabins out of Aqua class was the right choice. :) I am vegetarian and Blu would not work well for me.

Edited by SPacificbound
addition to post

• 2 months later...
Thanks for posting this Blu menu link. It confirms that my changing our cabins out of Aqua class was the right choice. :) I am vegetarian and Blu would not work well for me.

Wrong move! Both blu and the mdr have vegetarian menus, neither of which are posted anywhere as far as I know.