Nieuw Amsterdam vs Eurodam?

smilesntravels

We sailed on the Nieuw Amsterdam in May of 2012. There was a group of insurance agents and families (perhaps 200 total). We noticed public spaces like the Silk Den Lounge reserved for this group as well as large sections of the Pinnacle Grill and Tamarind on some nights.

We had no problem dining in Pinnacle and Tamarind, though we had to be more flexible with our times. Otherwise this group was mostly un-noticeable.

I don't know how to multi quote so will try and respond to a few posts here:

Oysterdam (what a cute name)- I wish that was the case, a small group of insurance agents. No big deal! Or a medical group, no problem. I just don't know with this other group.

Thebes- I tend to agree with you. Newer ships means a little nicer, at least that's what I think. I know Ruth mentioned that Westerdam is a good ship etc. etc. She's probably right, however I know that I would never consider a much older/smaller Carnival ship. It's very apparent that their newer ships are prettier, bigger and have more options which I would consider (just not this time). Oh and Thebes, someone posted in the HAL threads a schedule/list of drydocks and groups on certain Hal ships... just look in the HAL threads. It's pretty recent.

Luv4cruises- I get what you mean about Labadee. But for me, just the thought of being on Haiti is exciting and mysterious! Even if it's not the real Haiti, just to say I've been there would be interesting. It sort of reminds me of "Fantasy Island." I have recently heard how nice HMC is. Looking forward to it, if we go on the itinerary I want to go on!

Do you know how to find out if a certain cruise is being used partly for a theme cruise, music cruise, etc ? Is there a website for that ?
CJcruzer (Carol) maintains a list, but it is not just a single thread that you can subscribe to. Periodically when she updates the list the old thread is locked and a new one started, so you have to find the most recent thread by her with a title containing the words "groups/charters/drydocks schedule".

Here is the most recent: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1926771

If you have set your date to Dec 1st. You have 3 choices for HAL ships.

Ryndam from Tampa- W.Carib. Smaller ship, average 60% more$$ :eek:

Nieuw Amsterdam , Newer ship, good reviews, good value.:cool:

Eurodam ,same price as NA,will have a large group on board,getting ready for a makeover:(

And the survey says!

If you have set your date to Dec 1st. You have 3 choices for HAL ships.

Ryndam from Tampa- W.Carib. Smaller ship, average 60% more$$ :eek:

Nieuw Amsterdam , Newer ship, good reviews, good value.:cool:

Eurodam ,same price as NA,will have a large group on board,getting ready for a makeover:(

And the survey says!

The survey says: Oh yay! I looked up the theme group that's suppose to be on the Eurodam sailing. Called Holland America to see if they could tell me how many people are part of that group- "no we can't." So I looked at this groups webpage and called to get more information and casually ask how many people are going- "Oh we had to cancel that one, we didn't have enough participants. We're doing it next year." Yay, so since that was the ship I wanted to go on and with the right itinerary I think I've decided :).

There's also the Westerdam leaving on Nov.30th. We could have done that one too. I think I'll just have to overlook the fact that Eurodam is going into wetdock right after our cruise. Thanks for chiming in, Nieuwuser.

Glad you have sort of made up your mind.

I was on the Eurodam, Eastern Carib.Oct/Nov 2010 and enjoyed every minute.

Next cruise NA Western Carib.Nov 2nd.waiting on cabin assignment.

Happy Cruising:)

Dank u wel- thank you- lol, sort of. Good for you and your upcoming cruise. I wonder which one you'll like better :).

We did both Eurodam first and Nieuw Amsterdam next. We preferred Eurodam and the crew seemed friendlier to us. That can always change too.

Nothing "wrong" with either ship. We are now set for the Ryndam and looking forward to Dec 8 as then we will decide if that is the ship for us next summer in Norway with our friends. Ship is smaller which we like

so here's hoping!

Enjoy your Eurodam cruise..you are NOT going to NOT have a fabulous cruise!!!

Sherry & Kimber

So I looked at this groups webpage and called to get more information and casually ask how many people are going- "Oh we had to cancel that one, we didn't have enough participants. We're doing it next year."

Good work, Inspector Clouseau!

We did both Eurodam first and Nieuw Amsterdam next. We preferred Eurodam and the crew seemed friendlier to us. That can always change too.

Nothing "wrong" with either ship. We are now set for the Ryndam and looking forward to Dec 8 as then we will decide if that is the ship for us next summer in Norway with our friends. Ship is smaller which we like

so here's hoping!

Enjoy your Eurodam cruise..you are NOT going to NOT have a fabulous cruise!!!

Sherry & Kimber

Thanks so much Sherry and Kimber! Several people said they like the Eurodam a litle more than N A. While a few liked N A better. I guess they're pretty similar. Have a good cruise on the Ryndam! :)

Boytjie- haha, thanks!

Archived