Nieuw Amsterdam vs Eurodam?

smilesntravels

I have sailed on both and both are very nice ships with excellent crews. In my opinion, I don't think much money was spent on the Eurodam's decor. The Nieuw Amsterdam's decor was much more to my liking. The Noordam, as Sail7Seas said, is the ship where HAL got everything really right! Neither ship compares well in the stateroom corridor decor when compared with Celebrity Eclipse.

From what I heard the Eurodam's Chief Engineer say at the Q&A 3 weeks ago, the Eurodam will go into dry dock--not wet dock--in December. She has to do this because she is now 5 years old and has to have 2 dry docks in that time period. This will be #2 dry dock for her.

I would not choose a ship based upon her decor, but on itinerary, expecting the other aspects of the cruise to meet my expectations.

Have been on both ships. Both are lovely, but do have a different feel, due to the Nieuw Amsterdam being designed around a New York theme.

For a Caribbean cruise I prefer the decor of the Eurodam.

Here are some excellent photos from beyondships.com that may be helpful:

http://www.beyondships.com/HAL-Eurodam.html

http://www.beyondships.com/HAL-Nieuw.html

We're going on her in Feb for 2 weeks but we booked a very unique OV room in the CA cat. We first booked a balcony but we switched after we gained some experience being here. Instead we thought location and we booked a cabana. Happy cruising :)

Thebes - Are those the cabins at the very front of the ship? If so, do you know if it is a smooth sail that far forward? I'm just curious as we have always been mid-ship or a little aft of mid-ship.

I might give pause to sail the last cruise before a dry dock but not a wet dock. That should not impact you in any significant way.

Thanks 7seas, but why do you say that? I don't know the difference between dry dock and wet dock? I know wet dock means it's not taken out of the water, but that's all :confused:

Have been on both ships. Both are lovely, but do have a different feel, due to the Nieuw Amsterdam being designed around a New York theme.

For a Caribbean cruise I prefer the decor of the Eurodam.

Here are some excellent photos from beyondships.com that may be helpful:

http://www.beyondships.com/HAL-Eurodam.html

http://www.beyondships.com/HAL-Nieuw.html

Hi- I think I agree with you about not having the NY decor for a Caribbean cruise. Some seem to think that I might be picking the cruise based on the decor. Nope! :) I'm just a little curious about the two ships and it looked to me like Eurodam got better reviews, so I wanted to see if that was true. I can't go to the place I really wanted to go 'Labadee,' so am a little more open to which itinerary we pick. Although the Eastern itinerary does look better to me and I've been to some of the Western Caribbean through work and my two cruises.

Thanks for the link with the pictures. That's actually one site I go to, to look at the various ships.

Thanks everyone for the input and responses!

Thank you everyone that responded :D. That helped make my decision, since decor of the ship is so important!! LOL. Now we just need to book the Eurodam with a balcony cabin, get my countdown clock set up and become future HAL cruisers.

Vicky

I think décor is important also. For heaven's sake if we didn't the cruiselines wouldn't spend so much money decorating them. I love to look at pictures of the ships before I go. you spend a fair amount of time on them and if the décor is garish it has an effect on you.

I think décor is important also. For heaven's sake if we didn't the cruiselines wouldn't spend so much money decorating them. I love to look at pictures of the ships before I go. you spend a fair amount of time on them and if the décor is garish it has an effect on you.

That's right... people compare cruise lines, so why not compare ships too. Decorating at home is fun, too :). Some might not like a really old RC ship and some might say the Allure is too large, or crowded etc etc. I guess I got a little spoiled with travel and don't want to stay in a dinghy hotel, or go on an old ship. Do you cruise out of San Diego mostly? I'm from So Cal, and moved out here in 2000.

Thebes - Are those the cabins at the very front of the ship? If so, do you know if it is a smooth sail that far forward? I'm just curious as we have always been mid-ship or a little aft of mid-ship.

Yes. I did find some very reliable threads here saying it is a fine cabin all the way to the bow of ship. Only 4 cabins on the entire ship. 2 are bigger than the other 2. Actually they cost more $$ than a balcony room since only 4 of them and they are all sold out. Their location is strategic to retreat cabana, hydro pool, tamarind, silk den , crows best and right above the lido. They are located on the panorama deck #10 and are bigger than a balcony room at 267 sq ft.

Thanks 7seas, but why do you say that? I don't know the difference between dry dock and wet dock? I know wet dock means it's not taken out of the water, but that's all :confused:

I think Sail is alluding to the fact that a wet dock usually doesn't involve any major repairs or revisions, just a "spiffing up".

Personally I like the NA decor better, except for the very bright red MDR.

I feel like the NA has corrected some of the many mistakes that were made with the Eurodam. Some of the differences won't affect very many people (like the E'dam deck 11 VT balconies and deck 10 SU cabins with very limited windows) and some of the mistakes have already been fixed. Originally the Pinnacle Bar had some rather hideous, uncomfortable furniture that looked like some kid built it with an erector set! I think the E'dam Atrium chandelier is still ugly, and like that the NA eliminated the Atrium Bar.

I would sail either again, but prefer the NA.

Thanks 7seas, but why do you say that? I don't know the difference between dry dock and wet dock? I know wet dock means it's not taken out of the water, but that's all

Often when a ship goes to dry dock, there is major structure work done. They often add cabins, move pools from one deck to another and heavy duty work of that sort which often is not fully completed as they don't allow enough time for the ship to be out of service to get the work completed. We have read when toilets were not fully operational all the time, a/c might have off times etc and there sometimes are workmen still aboard finishing up the work they did not complete at dry dock.

That is far less likely to happen with a wet dock. It is far less heavy duty work that is done at wet dock.

Hi everyone, it's been too long since my last cruise and have talked my fiance into going on a cruise this December. I've done a lot of traveling, but only two cruises so far (with lots of research on ships and these boards). I was dying to go to Labadee on one of RCI's newer ships, but the prices and dates aren't working out.

So, last year I was looking at HAL ships and thought the Nieuw Amsterdam would be a good one to go on. Then, after reading a lot of reviews it seems like a lot of people prefer the Eurodam. If any of you have been on either, or both could you please share your opinions or thoughts? I would consider the ship built right before Eurodam, but don't want to do one much older/smaller. We're trying to book a 7 night Caribbean one for early this Dec. I know the ages of other passengers might be older, but we're friendly with everyone and don't need a total party ship.

Thanks a bunch!:o

They are sister ships. Personally, I prefer the NIEUW Amsterdam.

Thank you jtl and 7seas for the info about wet dock. Interesting, at first most people said they slightly prefer the Eurodam and now more are saying the NA is a little better. I guess little things appeal to some people, and not to others. I thought from the pictures, that the bright red dining room on the NA was a bit much but maybe in person it's dramatic and looks good.

So, now one more question :) - I was looking at the itinerary for the E Carib on the Westerdam and might consider that one too. For someone that was looking forward to going on a newer mega ship like Allure, or Independence of the Seas is it possible I might be let down by the Westerdam? I know HAL is elegant and a little more relaxing, etc.(which is fine), but is this ship pretty small and/or getting old compared to the ships I just mentioned. No big deal, just wondering. I would have considered the Noordam per some of the comments, but we can't take a ten day cruise this time. Hopefully sometime in the future, or a transatlantic!!

For someone that was looking forward to going on a newer mega ship like Allure, or Independence of the Seas is it possible I might be let down by the Westerdam? I know HAL is elegant and a little more relaxing, etc.(which is fine), but is this ship pretty small and/or getting old compared to the ships I just mentioned.

I would imagine that any ship could be a letdown to anyone, if it isn't a good match for their needs.

But the Westerdam is hardly small; I consider her much too large. She is only smaller than some other ships. If you believe that bigger is better, then the Westerdam may not be a good match for you.

She is older than some ships, and younger than others. I'm not exactly sure where age makes a difference; condition of the ship does.

I would imagine that any ship could be a letdown to anyone, if it isn't a good match for their needs.

But the Westerdam is hardly small; I consider her much too large. She is only smaller than some other ships. If you believe that bigger is better, then the Westerdam may not be a good match for you.

She is older than some ships, and younger than others. I'm not exactly sure where age makes a difference; condition of the ship does.

Thanks Ruth. I've heard that Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam are nice ships. Was just wondering if it's not in as good of shape or much smaller. Bigger ships aren't always better, and since I haven't been on HAL yet I've been trying get some comparisons of a few ships. I'm pretty close to booking on the Eurodam and wanted to see how Westerdam compares to it :)

I'm pretty close to booking on the Eurodam and wanted to see how Westerdam compares to it :)

Westerdam and E-dam are essentially the same size fore to aft, and port to starboard. The E-dam has an additional deck, and more cabins/passengers. There is no additional public space, with the exception of the Silk Den and Tamarind, so it feels more crowded.

Hi everyone, it's been too long since my last cruise and have talked my fiance into going on a cruise this December. I've done a lot of traveling, but only two cruises so far (with lots of research on ships and these boards). I was dying to go to Labadee on one of RCI's newer ships, but the prices and dates aren't working out.

So, last year I was looking at HAL ships and thought the Nieuw Amsterdam would be a good one to go on. Then, after reading a lot of reviews it seems like a lot of people prefer the Eurodam. If any of you have been on either, or both could you please share your opinions or thoughts? I would consider the ship built right before Eurodam, but don't want to do one much older/smaller. We're trying to book a 7 night Caribbean one for early this Dec. I know the ages of other passengers might be older, but we're friendly with everyone and don't need a total party ship.

Thanks a bunch!:o

I was on the NA in 2012 for 37 days - Med + TA - I absolutely love the ship (Im a native New Yorker) - was on the Eurodam Aug 2013 - IMO the NA is much more beautiful - I thought the food was equal on both - I do not do the Tamarind - allergic to flowers and there is a flower in the tea - nor do I do the Pinnacle - too much food for me - thought the Canaletto was equal - I would take whatever itinerary is best - not sure who the Captains are but Vincent Smit is great he was on NA last Oct-Nov - since they work 6 mos on and 6 off he might be on the NA - here is the link to my share site for that cruise

https://2012nieuwamsterdam.shutterfly.com/

Still working on the 2013 site - have a great trip whatever you decide

I have been on both the N.A. And the Eurodam and I really do not like those retreat cabanas for one main reason: these private areas keep you totally isolated from the life of the ship and from interacting with other passengers which for me are the things I enjoy most on a cruise... I have so often seen couples all to themselves in their cabanas, while my husband and I are enjoying making new friends and enjoying good conversation with people on the public decks.

You will not find me in one of those cabanas, I enjoy my social life on the ship too much

I have been on both the N.A. And the Eurodam and I really do not like those retreat cabanas for one main reason: these private areas keep you totally isolated from the life of the ship and from interacting with other passengers which for me are the things I enjoy most on a cruise... I have so often seen couples all to themselves in their cabanas, while my husband and I are enjoying making new friends and enjoying good conversation with people on the public decks.

You will not find me in one of those cabanas, I enjoy my social life on the ship too much

We booked one for our cruise coming up in feb but we plan on socializing in different occasions and parties and different bars but also have some quiet times in our cabana. We're as a matter fact very social people and we enjoy people.

Ruth- I didn't mean to insult one of Hal's slightly older ships. I guess I was looking forward to trying out a mega ship. But I wouldn't pick Hal if I thought they were a bad cruise line. I guess I figured a newer ship would be a little nicer. We'll find out when we finally book one!

Travelnanna- what a nice long cruise you went on. I'd say it's about 50/50 so far on favorites between E'dam and NA. I actually was starting to consider the NA, but for the week we can go they do the Western itinerary. I've already been to Cozumel and Grand Cayman, so might as well see some other places. Too bad you can't go to Tamarind and are allergic to flowers! I've heard the food is great and the pictures make it look very nice/cozy.

FrankieSue- I don't really feel the need for a cabana either. Maybe if there were 15 days at sea or something like that, then why not for one or two days. People talk about them so much on the boards for Labadee and for me anyway, I want to explore it as much as possible, lay out, maybe do an excursion, etc. so don't see the big deal to hide out in a cabana for the day! Again, if I was there for a week then it might be nice to have but not to spend my only half day there.

Thebes- I think I mentioned that I thought it was funny that you gave up a balcony to have a cabana, and I won't cruise without a balcony...lol. Enjoy and I'm sure you are friendly and social on the ships. We could go on the Allure that I'm dying to see in an inside or window cabin, but it won't be the same for me.

So, now one more question :) - I was looking at the itinerary for the E Carib on the Westerdam and might consider that one too. For someone that was looking forward to going on a newer mega ship like Allure, or Independence of the Seas is it possible I might be let down by the Westerdam? I know HAL is elegant and a little more relaxing, etc.(which is fine), but is this ship pretty small and/or getting old compared to the ships I just mentioned. No big deal, just wondering. I would have considered the Noordam per some of the comments, but we can't take a ten day cruise this time. Hopefully sometime in the future, or a transatlantic!!

HAL Signature Class ships are much more elegant and much more relaxing and comfortable.

The Oasis class are unique cruise ships with epmphasis on mass entertainment and sports. HAL Signature class ships excel in timeless values: classy sea travel.

Both classes deliver the best products curently available in the Caribbean.

These products are very different but perfectly complement each other for a 14 days B2B cruise.

They are two sides of the Golden Coin of Caribbean Cruises:

euro9g.jpg

If you are going to introduce yourself to Holland America Line - try one of the Signature ships, not less.

They are derivatives of the original Vista class (Westerdam).

They are not small at all.

Their size is right enought to offer all the amenities you would expect on a classy ship, and not too large so that you don't lose the feel of being on a ship at sea.

BTW none of existing ships (except the QM2) offer as much open deck space as HAL Signature class.:)

Thanks Ruth. I've heard that Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam are nice ships. Was just wondering if it's not in as good of shape or much smaller. Bigger ships aren't always better, and since I haven't been on HAL yet I've been trying get some comparisons of a few ships. I'm pretty close to booking on the Eurodam and wanted to see how Westerdam compares to it :)

The Eurodam and the Nieuw Amsterdam (Signature class or subclass to be precise) are built on the same platform as the Westerdam - Vista class.

But the Signature class is a significantly improved version of the original design.

Comparison is here.

Archived