Nieuw Amsterdam vs Eurodam?

smilesntravels

Hi everyone, it's been too long since my last cruise and have talked my fiance into going on a cruise this December. I've done a lot of traveling, but only two cruises so far (with lots of research on ships and these boards). I was dying to go to Labadee on one of RCI's newer ships, but the prices and dates aren't working out.

So, last year I was looking at HAL ships and thought the Nieuw Amsterdam would be a good one to go on. Then, after reading a lot of reviews it seems like a lot of people prefer the Eurodam. If any of you have been on either, or both could you please share your opinions or thoughts? I would consider the ship built right before Eurodam, but don't want to do one much older/smaller. We're trying to book a 7 night Caribbean one for early this Dec. I know the ages of other passengers might be older, but we're friendly with everyone and don't need a total party ship.

Thanks a bunch!:o

We've been on the Eurodam three times and the Nieux Amsterdam once. They are very much the same but the Tamirind and Pinnacle are betther on the Eurodam, IMHO. We enjoyed Le Cirque on the Eurodam and not at all on the Nieux Amsterdam, but I read that the evening has gone downhill in general.

Okay, thank you both. I should have asked- is the decor prettier on the Eurodam? I saw that the NW has a lot of red/black colors with a New York theme. Not that that is bad, but I'm not thrilled with it either. Anyway, I'll just have to book one and see.

Carol, I did see pics of the Tamarind and it's lounge on Eurodam and it looks really nice!

Having sailed both, not really any substantive differences other than lighter carpeting on the NA that looks dirty & worn even though it really isn't.

NA's crew has received some criticism here, we thought they were great.

I would pick the Eastern or Western Caribbean itinerary that interests you most rather than being overly concerned with the choice of ship.

Having sailed both, not really any substantive differences other than lighter carpeting on the NA that looks dirty & worn even though it really isn't.

NA's crew has received some criticism here, we thought they were great.

I would pick the Eastern or Western Caribbean itinerary that interests you most rather than being overly concerned with the choice of ship.

That's true, and we're leaning towards the Eastern itinerary on the Eurodam. Part of the fun for me of planning a trip is looking at pics of the hotel, ship, etc. to get ideas and decide which option looks better. So, was looking for a few opinions about these ships. After thinking about a RCI cruise for so long, we're actually looking forward to the afternoon teas, enrichment classes and better food on HAL.

Have not been on the NA, but have been on the Eurodam twice and loved it! It has the best Canaletto of any ship we have been on, the pinnacle was great both for lunch and dinner. The tamarind was fantastic for both lunch and dinner!

Okay, thank you both. I should have asked- is the decor prettier on the Eurodam? I saw that the NW has a lot of red/black colors with a New York theme. Not that that is bad, but I'm not thrilled with it either. Anyway, I'll just have to book one and see.

Carol, I did see pics of the Tamarind and it's lounge on Eurodam and it looks really nice!

Are you really going to pick a ship for 7 days because the décor "looks prettier"? Most people select by the itinerary.

NW? Assume you mean NA?

We have sailed NA two cruises and Eurodam five.

For some mostly unclear reason, we seem to prefer Eurodam. Some of the art is more to my taste and we like the itinerary better. It isn't as though we found anything 'wrong' with NA as we didn't. All things being equal, we would book Eurodam.

The newest ship just before Eurodam is Noordam. She is the fourth in the series of Vista Class ships while Eurodam and NA are Signature Class. Noordam is a beautiful ship and HAL really got it right with her. We love that ship. :)

Are you really going to pick a ship for 7 days because the décor "looks prettier"? Most people select by the itinerary.

NW? Assume you mean NA?

Oops, I meant NA. I was just wondering if people had been on both ships, if they had an opinion on which was was better. In general, if there are two ships and the itinerary is good on both, I'd like to pick the one that looks better, has a better layout, etc. I know they're similiar, so that's why I asked.

We have sailed NA two cruises and Eurodam five.

For some mostly unclear reason, we seem to prefer Eurodam. Some of the art is more to my taste and we like the itinerary better. It isn't as though we found anything 'wrong' with NA as we didn't. All things being equal, we would book Eurodam.

The newest ship just before Eurodam is Noordam. She is the fourth in the series of Vista Class ships while Eurodam and NA are Signature Class. Noordam is a beautiful ship and HAL really got it right with her. We love that ship. :)

Thanks for the info! It seems like the reviews I've read are slightly more in favor of the Eurodam too. That's all I was wondering. Sometimes you don't know why, but just like something a little better. Lucky you for cruising a lot. We were suppose to go on a cruise last Fall, but fiance and I went to Machu Picchu instead, so now it's time for a cruise and I hope he gets hooked on them!

Thank you everyone that responded :D. That helped make my decision, since decor of the ship is so important!! LOL. Now we just need to book the Eurodam with a balcony cabin, get my countdown clock set up and become future HAL cruisers.

Vicky

We're going on her in Feb for 2 weeks but we booked a very unique OV room in the CA cat. We first booked a balcony but we switched after we gained some experience being here. Instead we thought location and we booked a cabana. Happy cruising :)

I've sailed on both. And they are indeed very similar. However, there's some slight differences. I found the atmosphere of the Eurodam better then the NA. While the NA had better crew (although that can vary with each sailing ofc). Food on the Eurodam was also better imo.

As for lay-out, they're sister ships, so they are identical in that matter.

All taken into account, I found the Eurodam a little more pleasant to sail on, just because of the atmosphere. For some reason (don't ask me why, these are my guts talking) the NA was a little colder, if you know what I mean.

We've sailed on both and of these beautiful ships. We did like the "artwork" on the Nieuw Amsterdam reflecting New York. Some were large framed photographs of days gone by which were interesting.

We would sail on either ship again.

We've sailed both and I can't say I prefer one over the other. I will say that hose two ships are always my first choice to sail on because of the Retreat Cabana area on the Eurodam and the Cabana Club area on the Nieuw Amsterdam. Our jobs keep us very busy, so when we go on a cruise we prefer to stay as "unbusy" as possible. The cabana areas are such a nice way for us to relax. These often book quickly, so you may be out of luck for a December cruise booking.

We've sailed both and I can't say I prefer one over the other. I will say that hose two ships are always my first choice to sail on because of the Retreat Cabana area on the Eurodam and the Cabana Club area on the Nieuw Amsterdam. Our jobs keep us very busy, so when we go on a cruise we prefer to stay as "unbusy" as possible. The cabana areas are such a nice way for us to relax. These often book quickly, so you may be out of luck for a December cruise booking.

I agree - love the Retreat Cabanas or "Cabana Club", which the Noordam now has as well (added this year.) We have one booked on the Noordam for our next Caribbean cruise, so will be interested to compare it to our experience in one on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

I have sailed on both the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam and enjoyed both. I would also agree with others who suggest that you choose itinerary over ship since they are so similar.

Thanks again everyone for the responses. It seemed like most people slightly favored the Eurodam, and now a few votes for Nieuw Amsterdam. Well, the Eastern Itinerary on the Eurodam for Dec. 1st does look better and we were leaning towards that one. Now I find out from another CC member that it's suppose to go into wet dock the week after that cruise :(. I've heard of dry dock, but not wet dock. So, that's not exciting to know. Would any of you say to avoid a cruise right before that?? I'm guessing the Eurodam is very clean and nice, but it would be even better to go on a ship right after dry/wet dock.

About the cabana's, I'll look into them. I'm sure they're nice and relaxing. I think for me though, I'd rather spend money on a balcony cabin, excursions, alcohol and maybe a specialty restaurant.

We're going on her in Feb for 2 weeks but we booked a very unique OV room in the CA cat. We first booked a balcony but we switched after we gained some experience being here. Instead we thought location and we booked a cabana. Happy cruising :)

Enjoy your two week cruise! I'm thinking February would be a good time to cruise. The holidays are over and it's before Spring Break. That's funny, I 'need' a balcony and don't pay much attention to the cabanas. Looks like you gave up a balcony to get a cabana :).

Thanks again everyone for the responses. It seemed like most people slightly favored the Eurodam, and now a few votes for Nieuw Amsterdam. Well, the Eastern Itinerary on the Eurodam for Dec. 1st does look better and we were leaning towards that one. Now I find out from another CC member that it's suppose to go into wet dock the week after that cruise :(. I've heard of dry dock, but not wet dock. So, that's not exciting to know. Would any of you say to avoid a cruise right before that?? I'm guessing the Eurodam is very clean and nice, but it would be even better to go on a ship right after dry/wet dock.

About the cabana's, I'll look into them. I'm sure they're nice and relaxing. I think for me though, I'd rather spend money on a balcony cabin, excursions, alcohol and maybe a specialty restaurant.

Was on Eurodam in July. It is in fine shape. I wouldn't worry about the wet dock.

Archived