Anyone done a Birthday cruise solo?

lara_lox

I've done a birthday cruise solo, in a way. I sailed within a week of my birthday. I bought the cruise as a birthday present to myself, and was very glad I did. It was truly the best vacation I ever went on. Everybody was very friendly, I had no trouble meeting new people, and the excursions were incredibly fun.

Having said that, it was really no different than any other solo cruise. It's not like I planned to go around telling everyone I met it was my birthday, unless they specifically asked me. And I decided not to mark my reservation as a birthday cruise, since I was hesitant to have the crew sing "Happy Birthday" in the MDR while I was solo. In the end, it all worked out extremely well. I have not had any experiences that truly ruined my cruise, and had only one or two lonely moments.

As for whether it'll be great or awful, it's all what you make of it. I say spend a lot of time doing research to make sure you find a cruise that truly fits your tastes.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

Timely question. My birthday is Tuesday and I'll be on a Canada/NE cruise that leaves Boston tomorrow. I did tell the reservation person and now I kinda wished I didn't. I totally forgot about the happy birthday thing in the MDR.

Oh well. I'm still super excited about the cruise!

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

This question came about because I decided that rather than go to work then come home to an empty house on my birthday (I wouldn't be seeing my family until my days off and my friends will never do anything to celebrate because it's near Christmas), I could go away on a cruise.

However my choices are very limited due to the specific date, the time of year, available flights, and budget. The cruise that works the best would be on Norwegian Epic around the Canaries, which means that with the NCL Freestyle dining I wouldn't have set table mates to sit with at dinner. This is what made me wonder if I would just feel upset and disappointed if I didn't meet anyone to help me celebrate.

But I suppose that the worst case scenario would be chilling out at sea then having a nice meal served to me with good wine, which even all alone would be a far better option than sitting at home! And of course at the best, I could still do these things but meet some great people to have fun with too. So if my leave from work is approved tomorrow, I think I will be booking :)

Timely question. My birthday is Tuesday and I'll be on a Canada/NE cruise that leaves Boston tomorrow. I did tell the reservation person and now I kinda wished I didn't. I totally forgot about the happy birthday thing in the MDR.

Oh well. I'm still super excited about the cruise!

Happy Birthday and Happy Cruising! :D

However my choices are very limited due to the specific date, the time of year, available flights, and budget. The cruise that works the best would be on Norwegian Epic around the Canaries, which means that with the NCL Freestyle dining I wouldn't have set table mates to sit with at dinner. This is what made me wonder if I would just feel upset and disappointed if I didn't meet anyone to help me celebrate.

Epic has solo gatherings every evening in their Studio Lounge. It's an area by the Studio cabins where solos can meet to form dinner groups and find people to go on excursions with. (It's probably a way to bring back the solos who are put off by the Freestyle dining.) Go there; I'm sure there'll be people in a similar situation. Better yet, book a Studio cabin. Then you'll have like-minding people right down the hall.

I meant Norwegian Spirit, not Epic, which I wrote out of habit doh! I've cruised in the studios on the Epic twice now and also on the Norwegian Jade, so I know what to expect but I find that writing things down on here and hearing other people's thoughts can help with making decisions. The Epic or Breakaway with the studio cabins aren't an option this time unfortunately as they are both sailing form the US at the moment. I do hope to try Breakaway or Getaway when she arrives at some point though.

Edited by lara_lox

If so, how was it? I can't decide whether it would be great or awful and I need to decide very soon...

I sailed my first cruise in 2010 on Oasis for my birthday in December. My birthday like yours is near Christmas so its easily forgotten in the shopping shuffle. I decided I wanted to do it the next year for my 40th in 2011 and started out with my friends/family on board for the celebration but of course when it finally came down to it more and more people backed out. I still went on LibertyOTS and so far it has been my absolute best. I found another solo in line as I boarded and we in turn found others. We had a blast on that ship and we rarely slept. I learned on that cruise no matter who goes with me I am not sharing my bathroom and by default not sharing my room. Last years birthday event was OK but I was not alone and I enjoyed it(and I still did not share my room). So far since I think I may actually get to do Allure alone I am excited and anxiously awaiting my cruise date.

Edited by SassySabby

I leave this week for a slightly late 45th birthday present to myself on the Azamara Journey sailing to the Greek Isles. Cannot wait to get on the ship! Fourth cruise and third solo and looking forward to every minute of it.

The cruise that works the best would be on Norwegian Spirit around the Canaries, which means that with the NCL Freestyle dining I wouldn't have set table mates to sit with at dinner.:)

It is such an interesting ship with its history and I can't wait to go there in 2014. Have fun.

Edited by micm

I'm going solo on a 94 day world cruise and my birthday happens to be during the trip. There happens to be a masquerade ball the evening of my birthday so I'm calling it my party. :D

Don

Edited by Dcoy

I meant Norwegian Spirit, not Epic, which I wrote out of habit doh! I've cruised in the studios on the Epic twice now and also on the Norwegian Jade, so I know what to expect but I find that writing things down on here and hearing other people's thoughts can help with making decisions. The Epic or Breakaway with the studio cabins aren't an option this time unfortunately as they are both sailing form the US at the moment. I do hope to try Breakaway or Getaway when she arrives at some point though.

Oh, I love the Spirit, that's my favorite ship! Small ship but beautiful, full of charm and character, and the workers on her have been the best crew I've ever sailed with, they love the ship too. I haven't sailed solo on NCL (just have my first solo coming up on Carnival) but it's my understanding that you can request to be seated with others on NCL, if you'd rather not dine alone. Hope you go forward with the cruise, I'm sure you'd have a fabulous time. And I hope you have an active roll call, so you can meet some people and have people to hang with if you so choose.

I'd love to sail on my birthday, but it's December 24th, and it's just too expensive then for me to do. Hope you have fun no matter what you do!

Wow, Don, I'm very envious of your 94 day cruise! Hope you write a review/diary and post it, that would be an amazing experience!!!

I went solo on a Carnival 7 day cruise in March and the first day onboard was my birthday. I didn't reserve the cruise as a special occasion but while talking with the people seated at my table I mentioned it was my birthday and the server brought a slice of cake with a candle and they all sang happy birthday. It was a little weird but I had a good time. It's really up to you to let others know. But I would say go on the cruise and have a great time if the other option is to stay at home.

I also just booked a cruise for my birthday in March. I figured after my "good" friends pretty much caused a lot of drama and disappointment on my birthday last year, I would just get off the grid for a bit and celebrate with myself! A great ship, great dinner and great glass of wine is much better than being home alone! I hope you let us know how it goes! :)

I never have but I an considering it, for my 50th in a couple of years. My Birthday falls between Christmas and new years, in other words it gets lost in the shuffle. My own parents did not realize I had turned 40 until 9 months after the fact, that was only because a cousin who was 8 months younger had a 40th party. I don't want to throw myself a party and everyone else is so busy so I think I will celebrate doing my favorite thing cruising!

Hi,:) I have sailed solo for my birthday plenty of times and it was never

awful...not sure why you might think it would be.......I love sailing

solo:D birthdays or not......I normally don't do anything to celebrate my

birthday at home anymore anyway:rolleyes: and I am probably happier and more

at Peace on a ship whatever the day is;).......in 10 years of solo cruising?

Probably sailed at lease 5 or 6 times on the birthday or the month of the

birthday......:)

I'm going solo on a 94 day world cruise and my birthday happens to be during the trip. There happens to be a masquerade ball the evening of my birthday so I'm calling it my party. :D

Don

WOW:D...94 days? You are my hero:D:);)

I just booked a birthday cruise in a studio on the NCL Getaway for next August. I've cruised solo a lot before, but not on my birthday.

My birthdays are usually pretty hit or miss as I don't really make plans for myself and friends usually make plans for me if I don't, but they're rarely things that I want to do. I figure being on a ship in the Caribbean will be a nice way to turn 45.

As is my pattern with cruising solo, I put out a note to my friends that I'm planning a cruise next August, and if they'd like to join me they're more than welcome. If they book themselves another cabin, I'd love to have them, but I like having my own space on the ship.

In the past when I've put this out there, more often than not I still end up going solo but occasionally people will join. When I've tried to do a group trip from the start, arranging a common date is always a nightmare and inevitably it ends up not happening.

Thank you for all your comments/thoughts on this topic. I though I should let you know the outcome - I just booked my birthday cruise and I sail in less than 2 months! :D

I always write long blog type reviews of my travels so you will be able to see how it went...

Thank you for all your comments/thoughts on this topic. I though I should let you know the outcome - I just booked my birthday cruise and I sail in less than 2 months! :D

I always write long blog type reviews of my travels so you will be able to see how it went...

Good for you! I always read and enjoy your reviews, so I definitely look forward to this one!!