Heading for the Pride of America--Questions anyone?

zimmerjulie

Just got our documents and would love to try to gather information for you on our visit to the Pride of America next Monday. Cruise More Often and I will be touring the ship together and will be glad to try to look into any questions you might have!

Getting pretty excited now!

Hi Julie-Just want to wish you a great cruise and I look forward to seeing what you have to say about the ship. My wife & I are considering it for a future cruise and your opinion is one I often agree with.

-Monte

When is the ship going to be in San Francisco? (and what Pier?) I'd like to get a look when it's there. (it'd be worth the drive - or a BART ride to see!)

We board the ship on its' first go-round of the Hawaiian Island (7/23)

We're going on our first cruise on the Pride of America. Any advice for 1st timers? We will be on the 7/12 cruise and celebrating our 25th anniversary. Thanks for any info. We can hardly wait!

I just returned today 7/8 from the panama leg of it's trip to Hawaii. A few things need attention, jacuzzi's weren't hot, ice cream machine in buffet broken more than running, along with coffee machines.

Cadillac diner had really good food, a little slow coming out, but very good.

Steak house is average, not worth an extra $10 per

East Meets West was nice, the duck was the best and get the Banana pancake dessert. $10 extra, more for the Kobe restaruant style of dinner, and for the sushi.

Entertainment was great, director is great.

Skyline restaurant was good most days, a couple times we got burgers in the Cadillac when we weren't thrilled with choices.

All the breads were great

The Ice tea is awful

Rooms are small, smaller than normal

Library has really weird hours

Art Auction has phantom bidders that the auctioneer talks to often, their number range between 320-475, nobody else gets these paddles, of course my wife still spent $6,000 on new art.

Our disembarkment took 3 hours, crazy silly. half the time they didn't turn on all the speakers when they made announcements so we couldn't hear much.

The 3rd elevator from the left (port) side in the forward elevator banks has the open and close buttons switched, I'd be curious if they fixed it when you cruise.

Oh yea, avoid the Italian Restauratn upstairs, really poor reviews from everyone I talked to about it.

Bring lots of small bills, they ran out on our 4th day of a 13 day cruise so we had a hard time tipping staff, since they don't add the gratuity to the bills at the bars etc.

Ours was the first all paying passengers trip so they're working on bugs, alot of the rooms weren't even ready to let out yet, so we had a unique experience, but over all, the rooms won't be getting bigger, and I bet the steaks aren't going to be much better, but they should have the jacuzzis fixed, along with the ice cream and coffee machines.

Oh yea, I almost forgot, the beer in the Yukon bar is the best deal I've seen on 4 different cruise lines.

Have fun and avoid getting sun burned

Rob

Bring lots of small bills, they ran out on our 4th day of a 13 day cruise so we had a hard time tipping staff, since they don't add the gratuity to the bills at the bars etc.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought you could write in the amount of the tip on the bar bills and have it go on your account.

johnql, You are absolutely right. You can add the tip on the bar bill. The nice thing is that NCL doesn't add it automatically. It is at your discretion. I have seen some inexperienced cruisers add a tip to the drink price with the tip already included in the past. I used $1s and $5s for shore excursion tips and occasionally at the bars since I purchased the soda program. I went to the info desk to get change, and only once was told to come back later when they would have some more. They broke serveral 20's for my father and I during the week. Let's face it. There is hardly a need for cash on board, and I was surprised they could make change since we were in foreign waters/ports for the entire cruise.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. A large group of us went on the 13 day Panama Canal cruise. For more info onthe ship, check out http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=197933

Everyone I spoke to loved Little Italy so much. I made reservations on the third or fourth day of the cruise, and was never able to get back in again because it was so popular. I ordered two different types of pasta and two different sauces. My dad ordered something with beef tenderloins. The Caesar salad was delicious! I ALWAYS order Caesar salad when I eat out, so you can imagine that I have had my share of them. Like I say, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Just check out the other thread. Enjoy your cruise. It's a beautiful ship!

Oh yea, I almost forgot, the beer in the Yukon bar is the best deal I've seen on 4 different cruise lines.

Tell me the details! This is important stuff:D! Seems like the Yukon Bar has been getting a lot of positive comments.

Rob, can you also tell me if the staterooms have coffee makers in them?

I'm also curious to know what the policy is for making advance reservations in the specialty restaurants. Were you able to make the reservations for any night at any time during your sailing, or like POAloha was when we sailed on her last year, you could only make a reservation for the "next night" during the sailing. Did you have any difficulty getting the reservations you requested at all?

What are your thoughts on the Aloha Cafe and the layout (with food stations as opposed to buffet lines)? Did this seam to work better?

And last, for now, did you try the breakfasts in the dining rooms, and if so, how was the food & service experience?

Thanks again for posting!

When is the ship going to be in San Francisco? (and what Pier?) I'd like to get a look when it's there. (it'd be worth the drive - or a BART ride to see!) . . .

I forgot to mention that she'll be docked at Pier 35. As of yesterday her name wasn't posted at the Pier, but the flashing sign welcoming the Pride of America was working.

Adele

zimmerjulie and Cruise_More_Often:

First off, have a wonderful time aboard the ship.

We're looking forward to our Hawaii cruise on Pride of America next summer and we're sure to have a great time island-hopping.

A few things I would appreciate your feedback on while aboard the ship ...

1. last time we sailed NCL Freestyle it was aboard NCL Sea, which was not built for freestyle dining and the wait for dinner was quite long, unless you're a fan of "early bird" dinner or love to eat after 9pm!! Since this ship is specifically built for Freestlye are the wait times for main dining rooms less...even during popular dining times ie. 7-8pm?

2. our cabin is on deck 9....specifically 9028... could you take a peek? :D (I don't want you to get in trouble though!!)

Heard that the balcony is oversized but cabin itself is "cozy", to say the least.

3. Very interested in service issues as compared to cruiseslines with "international" crew. Hopefully there aren't too many crew members with the "I don't need this job, I can work elsewhere" attitude.

4. Pool/Sundeck Area... are pools/sundeck and hot tub areas sufficient for the amount of guests sailing on this ship?

5. Tipping - we normally follow gratuity guidelines as suggested by the cruiseline and "stuff envelopes" for the last night, or more recently have them added to our onboard account. How does this "ritual" differ w/ NCL America? I don't really feel like carrying alot of $1 bills around to tip here and there, or is this discretionary tipping only for bar items? Is the waiter/cabin steward taken care of in the usual manner?

I'm sure there are many more questions that I can't even think of right now, but will certainly have them answered in the future as past guests post their reviews here.

Thanks again, and bon voyage

Tell me the details! This is important stuff:D! Seems like the Yukon Bar has been getting a lot of positive comments.

Rob, can you also tell me if the staterooms have coffee makers in them?

I'm also curious to know what the policy is for making advance reservations in the specialty restaurants. Were you able to make the reservations for any night at any time during your sailing, or like POAloha was when we sailed on her last year, you could only make a reservation for the "next night" during the sailing. Did you have any difficulty getting the reservations you requested at all?

What are your thoughts on the Aloha Cafe and the layout (with food stations as opposed to buffet lines)? Did this seam to work better?

And last, for now, did you try the breakfasts in the dining rooms, and if so, how was the food & service experience?

Thanks again for posting!

The Gold Rush bar is very nice. It has the best beer selection on the ship. They have Liberty Ale on tap, as well as 3 other artisinal beers/ales. They are basically the same price as BUDMILLERCOORS that is supplied in the rest of the bars. We had wonderful evenings there, listening to the singer/guitarist. Now, they are going to put more/different entertainers on the ship, as she heads for Hawaii, your milage may vary. If Charles Nahale is on board YOU MUST SEE HIM! He is wonderful person, as well as a very talented Hawaiian guitarist/singer. Say Hello for us.

Yes, coffee makers in the rooms, 220 volt.

Reservations seemed to be open on our trip, and some places filled up fast. The East Meets West (Oriental) restaurant was our favorite speciality (much like that on the Star).

Buffet layour was very good, much fewer traffic jams. They are still working out the kinks, the only place where things were jammed was the drinks area. They did not have iced tea until about 1100, but we registered our complaint with the Hotel Director. The staff was very good to us on our trip. Mention CruiseCritic!

Did I mention that we put a guest book in the library. Be sure to sign it!

Bob (and Sandi) Swanson

Hi, Herb:

Zimmerjulie and I will just be doing an overnight Curise to Nowhere, so we won't be able to answer some of your questions. I've printed your questions, though, and we'll try to get as many answers as we can. And we'll also try to peek at "your" cabin and take a few photos.

Bob and Sandi, we will definitely sign the guestbook, even if we have to hunt down the HD. That was such a great idea.

Adele

Just to add a few more details:

I faintly remember a steam room in the spa area that I saw on a tour, but don't hold me to it. I was too busy to ever go back to the spa again after my initial tour.

As for the freestyle dining, there are plasma screens in different areas on the ship that tell you all of the restaurants' status. Open, filling up, filled...it was a sideways bar graph that was very helpful. Dinner reservations in the specialty restaurants can be made for any day of the cruise. I would suggest making them early in the cruise. I waited too long until I heard from everyone else how wonderful they were and only made it to the Steakhouse twice and Little Italy once.

Our balcony cabin on deck 11 had a coffee maker and small refrigerator, but I heard that ocean view rooms had no fridge. We only made coffee once since we were so close to the Aloha cafe. I usually just brought a cup back from there. I didn't see the extended balconies, but I had a friend two cabins down from them in 9036 on your deck. They stick out a little bit more. The room IS SMALL, but adequate if there are only two people in there. We had the small balcony. It was adequate. We spent MANY hours out there!

As for tipping, just add your tip to the bar tab. There is a line for it when you sign after they swipe your card: no need for carrying cash. The only reason I used cash was for tipping drivers and guides for the shore excursions. I also gave a few special bartenders some cash at the end of the cruise for keeping my soda refills coming. I was on the soda program so they did not get any tips from me for the whole cruise. I rewarded those who treated me just like the guys buying multiple beers. As for dining servers, cabin stewards...etc, NCL America charged $10 per person per day to all of our accounts, which is divided up to all employees at the end of the cruise. I preferred it to using the envelopes with vouchers and having some head waiter that I had never seen for the whole cruise showing up for his envelope! They divide it somehow between all of the workers. I admit to adding tips to my bill in the specialty restaurants for exceptional service, but they would have been compensated even if I hadn't by my $10 per day. I also gave a cash tip to the concierge who did so much for our group. One of our cruise critic members occupied the biggest suite on the ship, and he sort of adopted our group for the whole cruise. Wow! It was really nice....so I compensated him...

Hope my two cents' worth helped.

I just returned today 7/8 from the panama leg of it's trip to Hawaii. Our disembarkment took 3 hours, crazy silly.

Debark in San Pedro on 7/8 was delayed because of crew not reporting to immigration on time, thus delaying the ship being cleared for pax to leave.

Please keep in mind it was the first full scale debark the POA has had to do. All things considered, it went pretty well.

Check-in for the next cruise was completed on time. That's better than the RCL's Monarch of the Seas which was docked there as well. At their 5 pm sailing time, they still had 1,000 to check in.

I will be sailing on POA July 12 and have never cruised before. I am confused on tipping. I called NCL to see if they were adding the $10 per day service charge. They said yes, but that it is not a tip. "You don't have to tip, but can," they said. I don't want everyone who takes care of us not to have a tip, though. So is the service charge in place of tipping except in specialty restaurants, bar bills, etc.? Thanks if you can clarify this. Also, are the beds comfortable? Thanks for your help!:confused:

I will be sailing on POA July 12 and have never cruised before. I am confused on tipping. I called NCL to see if they were adding the $10 per day service charge. They said yes' date=' but that it is not a tip. "You don't have to tip, but can," they said. I don't want everyone who takes care of us not to have a tip, though. So is the service charge in place of tipping except in specialty restaurants, bar bills, etc.? Thanks if you can clarify this. Also, are the beds comfortable? Thanks for your help!:confused:[/quote'] I would like an answer also as it is my first cruise with NCL:confused:Some where months ago I remember reading that the $10 per day was to help NCL pay the wages of an American crew :confused:

When cruiselines offer automatic gratuities posted to passengers' onboard accounts (I'm not talking about bar bills), then yes, you are helping the cruiseline meet it's payroll. They have reduced their payroll, and through auto-gratuities, the passenger is making up the difference.

The Gold Rush bar is very nice. It has the best beer selection on the ship. They have Liberty Ale on tap, as well as 3 other artisinal beers/ales. They are basically the same price as BUDMILLERCOORS that is supplied in the rest of the bars. We had wonderful evenings there, listening to the singer/guitarist. Now, they are going to put more/different entertainers on the ship, as she heads for Hawaii, your milage may vary. If Charles Nahale is on board YOU MUST SEE HIM! He is wonderful person, as well as a very talented Hawaiian guitarist/singer. Say Hello for us.

Yes, coffee makers in the rooms, 220 volt.

Reservations seemed to be open on our trip, and some places filled up fast. The East Meets West (Oriental) restaurant was our favorite speciality (much like that on the Star).

Buffet layour was very good, much fewer traffic jams. They are still working out the kinks, the only place where things were jammed was the drinks area. They did not have iced tea until about 1100, but we registered our complaint with the Hotel Director. The staff was very good to us on our trip. Mention CruiseCritic!

Did I mention that we put a guest book in the library. Be sure to sign it!

Bob (and Sandi) Swanson

Thanks BobnSandi! This is great info!

To all of you who were wondering:

NCL America adds $10 per person per day to your account. This covers your tips for your cabin steward, and all of the food servers. Restaurant workers told me that they are compensated from that. All of them (even the servers from the specialty restaurants) have to work in the Aloha Cafe, so everyone gets a piece of your service charge. Even the specialty restaurant servers are compensated from that fee....so the only people you should tip are room service and bar service people. At the bar, you can add it to the bill you sign.

I admit that I tipped my specialty restaurant food servers extra when I paid the surcharge for the meal, but I later learned that they were still getting paid from my $10 per day. I also tipped bartenders and drink servers as service was rendered. I never got around to ordering room service....I gave the concierge a tip at the end of the cruise because he had done so much for us CC'rs, and I shouldn't have even had access to him since I was not occupying a suite.

Special note to Chillin' - The beds must have been comfortable because when I finally got around to getting into mine, I slept like a rock! It was nice to have a nice new bed that probably only one person slept in before I got it! Kinda cool! One of my fellow CC'rs had a bad back, and got an egg crate when she requested it.

As Bobn'sandi and Lovetorelax mentioned the $10 per day covers just about all tips for service staff. You have a space on your bill at the bars to add gratutities for bar service. The $10 per day does not cover room service, butlers, and concierge services. Our butler, Josh, went out of his way (even one butler leaving in Miami thus our 13 day cruise had 3 butlers dividing up the 40+ suites. Met the new 4th butler on last day so rest of cruises should not tire these great guys out.), our room stewardess, Juliana Colon-WOW!!!! I wanted to take her home with us! (She made the best towel animals-others are still learning how to make them so some people got a swan and that was it. Our son had a different room steward from ours, Mike from 10001, and he first made a swan and graduated to the cutest towel dogs-he was trying so hard. Even recognized the dirty piles on my son's floor from clean piles and organized his clothes into neat sorted piles-WOW. Far from the complaints I heard from other people and their room stewards. We've been on about 20 cruises and have had great to barely passing over the years on other cruiselines so it's just the individual you get- not the cruiseline. ), and finally-Al Almazan, the concierge-DOUBLE WOW!!!!! I emailed him a couple days before we got on board with the list of the CC members I knew were coming and he went out of his way for everyone in our group, not just us. He (along with Patrick, the other concierge, but only for the first few days-he few off to Hawaii to get things set up ther) set up CC meetings for us AND when we were sailing away from Miami we had met up with around 6 other CC couples informally at a bar and when we returned to our suite we gave a quick call and asked for champagne and extra glasses so we could celebrate the "sail away" (fully intending to be charged)- Josh appeared with 2 huge trays of cheese and crackers-Patrick arrived with lots of champagne glasses and 3 bottles of champagne (no charge) and I was told that when the CC guests left our room they were handed a bottle of champagne by our room stewardess. I sort of got of track there-sorry. anyways, butlers and concierge services are not included so you should tip separately if you use their services. We had such a great time with our CC Cruisin' Eagles!!!!!! Missing them already! I'll try to post on the 13-day cruise I started after I get the laundry and grocery shopping done. All in all- smile, ask "where are you from" and start a simple conversation with the staff (some are just the age of our son and really missing home) and you will have a super time!!!!!!!

Archived