Which is better? Carnival or Royal Caribbean?

happyprecious

Why would I thank somebody for nothing ? You would thank her as you two are from the same ilk. Btw, if I wanted to see a broadway show I would go Broadway.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app from my IPhone

I used to limit myself to that thinking also.

I find it funny that the same week I was the Allure, a coworker was on the Dream and said that the only entertainment one night was to watch the movie "Chicago" on the lido deck. That same week, I saw the full production show of Chicago, with full band, on the Allure.

Although I do agree that the experience on the Allure is superior to the experience on the Dream, you have to put things into perspective. You get more on the Allure but you also pay (a lot) more (even when they have low season prices).

I had the privilege of sailing on both the Allure and on the Dream within months of each other. Both were wonderful experiences in their own way.

For what I paid to sail on the Allure, I set the bar REALLY high and I expected to be utterly wowed. The Allure didn't dissapoint. For what I paid to sail on the Dream (a fraction of what I paid on the Allure), I set the bar lower. I was actually pleasantly surprised. The Dream didn't dissapoint either. In fact, there were things where the Dream excelled over the Allure (you can read my reviews for both ships by clicking on the links in my signature if you want more detailed information).

The secret to sailing on these two ships (or ANY ship for that matter) is to go with realistic expectations. Sailing on the Allure expecting the Dream is as unrealistic as sailing on the Dream expecting the Allure.

I'm just thankful that I am able to take vacations, there are a lot of folks that will never experience what we(cruisers) are able to on a cruise. Therefore I don't let the little things bother me. I'm on vacation and I am going to enjoy it no matter the company.

That being said we are doing our first Carnival Cruise at the end of March despite hearing of all the horror stories, like long buffet lines, nothing but drunks everywhere, meatloaf(oh no!!). Why? Because I simply need to form our own opinion and experience it, and you know what, I just might eat that meatloaf. I know I'm doing mac and cheese for sure. I can guarantee I will have a blast. Will it be perfect, hard to say but I control how I react to the situations.

My experience is 75% RCCL, they have done nothing to make me want to switch, never had a bad cruise, it's always been consistent. Just losing that feeling I used to get when walking on the ship(you know that feeling), becoming too routine. We did do a Holland once, same thing, I had a great time despite everyone telling me it would be boring and just old people on there. In fact my son said that was his favorite cruise ever from a kids program perspective. Who would have thought it?

Simply keep an open mind and have fun on your vacations.

Our choice of cruise line! We bought it, therefore it has to be better than any other cruise line, otherwise, we would be spending our money stupidly. Thus we defend our decision. So, being folks who sail both, we must have split personalities.

I like the food, I hate the food, I hate the shows, I love the shows, I want DJ at the pool deck, I want a live band at the pool deck..etc.etc.etc.etc

No, I don't defend any cruise line. They all have their positive and negatives. I simply pick the line that fits my wants on a particular cruise with the thickness of my wallet at the time.

Not to steal the thread, but when is your Med cruise?
Sept 5th on Serenade. I am REALLY excited.

I swore I'd never cruise in Europe. Didn't think it would make sense to fly there and only be in ports for mere hours.

never say never.

Although I do agree that the experience on the Allure is superior to the experience on the Dream, you have to put things into perspective. You get more on the Allure but you also pay (a lot) more (even when they have low season prices).

I had the privilege of sailing on both the Allure and on the Dream within months of each other. Both were wonderful experiences in their own way.

For what I paid to sail on the Allure, I set the bar REALLY high and I expected to be utterly wowed. The Allure didn't dissapoint. For what I paid to sail on the Dream (a fraction of what I paid on the Allure), I set the bar lower. I was actually pleasantly surprised. The Dream didn't dissapoint either. In fact, there were things where the Dream excelled over the Allure (you can read my reviews for both ships by clicking on the links in my signature if you want more detailed information).

The secret to sailing on these two ships (or ANY ship for that matter) is to go with realistic expectations. Sailing on the Allure expecting the Dream is as unrealistic as sailing on the Dream expecting the Allure.

Nice post and I agree. We sail Carnival a lot and will sail the Oasis in March. Like you, I have high expectations (to match the high price) and hope to be wowed (sound like a commercial?). Your post is much better than the ones by paid Royal chumps. Thanks

What?!?!

I have never been on a cruise with Carnival or on any other line for that matter that just had a movie for the nights entertainment...:confused:

Very good and very interesting use of the sun in your pictures. :)

This kinda reminds me of what I used to read on the NCL boards; to lower your expectations so you can enjoy your NCL cruise. :eek:

Until they turned that sinking ship around.

Unfortunately, that moniker has now moved to Carnival. It's sad to think you need to do that with Carnival now.

This kinda reminds me of what I used to read on the NCL boards; to lower your expectations so you can enjoy your NCL cruise. :eek:

Unfortunately, that moniker has now moved to Carnival. It's sad to think you need to do that with Carnival now.

Not sure my expectations for my Epic cruise are either higher or lower than my previous CCL cruises. I look forward to each vacation in the same way.

Sent from my GT-S5830D using Forums mobile app

That's exactly why I went into my first NCL cruise with very low expectations. (2007)

Fortunately, the cruise was great and surprisingly, with each subsequent cruise on that line, they kept getting better.

The attetion to detail/the small stuff and the absolutely fabulous crew and officers are the difference. (for us)

I still like CCL and would not say I'll never sail them again, but if I do, my expectations are very different and quite a bit lower. I lowered them for my cruise to Hawaii and it worked out fine. All the things I enjoy most about cruising were all there....however, we did miss those small details.

Problem is, I don't really want to spend any money on a vacation if I have to lower my expectations, I don't care how good a deal it is. To me, it's wasted money.

. I look forward to each vacation in the same way.

For us, when we cruised CCL almost exclusively, we of course had expectations. We expected each cruise to meet the same quality as the one previous to it...we weren't looking for 'better than' we just wanted 'equal to. It's not a lot to ask. Just give me what you have made me come to expect.

Then, for us, the bar that CCL had set was suddenly not being met.

So now, we can't have that level of expectation or we'll be let down.

Sept 5th on Serenade. I am REALLY excited.

I swore I'd never cruise in Europe. Didn't think it would make sense to fly there and only be in ports for mere hours.

never say never.

I understand the thought process. He had the same ideas. Glad we overcame it. Best cruise we have ever done (by far the most expensive as well). 12 days with two up front and threat the end. Will do another for sure.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app from my IPhone

I'm just thankful that I am able to take vacations, there are a lot of folks that will never experience what we(cruisers) are able to on a cruise. Therefore I don't let the little things bother me. I'm on vacation and I am going to enjoy it no matter the company.

That being said we are doing our first Carnival Cruise at the end of March despite hearing of all the horror stories, like long buffet lines, nothing but drunks everywhere, meatloaf(oh no!!). Why? Because I simply need to form our own opinion and experience it, and you know what, I just might eat that meatloaf. I know I'm doing mac and cheese for sure. I can guarantee I will have a blast. Will it be perfect, hard to say but I control how I react to the situations.

My experience is 75% RCCL, they have done nothing to make me want to switch, never had a bad cruise, it's always been consistent. Just losing that feeling I used to get when walking on the ship(you know that feeling), becoming too routine. We did do a Holland once, same thing, I had a great time despite everyone telling me it would be boring and just old people on there. In fact my son said that was his favorite cruise ever from a kids program perspective. Who would have thought it?

Simply keep an open mind and have fun on your vacations.

You're making WAY too much sense. ;)

Hope you have a great cruise. :)

Okay, just back from a cruise on the Carnival Splendor where I brought along a 1st time cruiser. We had 8:15 dinner seating at an assigned table and were seated next to 2 RCL fans. They were obnoxious to say the least. There was something wrong with every dish, the lines were too long at the buffet. RCL doesn't have long lines. On the last night when the wait staff serenaded us one of them complained about that then pulled out her cell phone and blasted a video of a serenade done on RCL.

If it weren't for the other 6 ladies whose company I really enjoyed, I would've switched tables. I just think that it is tacky to sail a cruiseline only to bash it in front of total strangers. What is this CCL vs RCL rivalry all about anyway? It's like rival gangs, I just cruise to relax. Take a chill pill people..:cool:

No one is required to cruise if they don't think their getting the bang for their buck that they deserve.

I don't think one is better than the other, I think it just depends on people's preferences. I am 18 days from Diamond on RCI (sailed them mostly in the 90's) and Platinum on Carnival (sailed them mostly in the 2000's).

But after my Carnival Legend cruise to Australia next year, I will probably be focusing more on RCI.

For me, as a solo cruiser, they are now giving us double sea days, since we basically have to pay 200% anyway. I like this perk.

Also, once I reach Diamond, I prefer free drinks in the evening for a few hours, and a reduced internet rate. I don't use Carnival laundry service, but lots of others do. Again, it's a preference.

I like food on both lines, but I like the entertainment on RCI. Personal preference. I have seen a decline in Carnival, especially in MDR service. But then again, I have pretty much sailed Carnival since 2003, except a TA on Mariner of the Seas in 2011, and I was pleased with the MDR service there.

I don't have large expections. I started cruising on Sitmar in 1980, and that was a CRUISE. Today's cruises are nothing like they were 30+ years ago, unless one wants to pay for a luxury cruise line.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the mainstream cruise lines...go with a positive attitude, don't read to much into the negativity, and have a great time.

Which is better can be argued about by all for any number of reasons.

If both lines offered similar pricing, based on current ship offerings, ship staff, cruise line passengers - I would pick Royal.

Carnival offers an affordable and schedule fitting product, and I can and do appreciate that fact.

Which is better can be argued about by all for any number of reasons.

If both lines offered similar pricing, based on current ship offerings, ship staff, cruise line passengers - I would pick Royal.

Carnival offers an affordable and schedule fitting product, and I can and do appreciate that fact.

That's how you can rate which one is better: if pricing was THE SAME, which one would you pick?

Then there's the question of which one is cheaper.

That's how you can rate which one is better: if pricing was THE SAME, which one would you pick?

Then there's the question of which one is cheaper.

We just sailed our first CCL cruise after 20+ with RCCL. We were just looking for a change.

Prior to our CCL cruise (Breeze by the way) we had decided to not do the CCL does this better, RCCL does this better, until we got off the ship. Also, we entered this cruise as a first time cruiser, without any expectations.

I will say this, for us, RCCL is the line we will continue to cruise. There is nothing greatly WRONG with CCL, we just prefer the way RCCL does things.

If we had sailed 20+ CCL cruises and then one RCCL, this post would probably just be the opposite of what it states.

Go open minded on either line and you will have a great time.

EDIT: Oops, forgot to answer the quote. If the prices are the same, same cabins and same itinerary, definitely RCCL for us. There would have to be a SUBSTANCIAL difference for us to choose CCL. During a discussion of the cruise as we were driving home, the $500 figure, $250pp, would MAYBE change our mind.

Tim

This has been some interesting reading. My wife and I cruise on Carnival and her sister cruises on Royal Caribbean. We have never discussed which is better or worse. We only talk of the fun of cruising. It is interesting that some people are only happy by putting other people down. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I for one don't have to put somebody down to make me feel better. Sometimes paying more for something is worth it sometimes it isn't.

Archived