6 year old boy drowns on Carnival ship.,

Velvet Teddy Bear

Even if there WAS a lifeguard, I would feel no safer. I'd watch my kids like a hawk. Even then, things can happen. so even watching your kids like a hawk isn't 100% guarantee of nothing going wrong :( Even with safety precautions of all kinds, there are always going to be these unexplainable, totally avoidable mishaps and tragedies.

This is life.

You just have to go to bed every night and thank God if you have gone through a day without any and support those that have.

This is so true! When I was 5, my uncle built a pool in the yard between his house & grandma's. I was the only person in the pool & mom was about 6 ft. away from me standing on the lawn. Her mother said something to her though the screen door & mom turned her back to talk to her at about the same time I slipped under the surface without making a sound, about six inches from the edge of the pool. If my uncle hadn't walked out of his house a few seconds later, I might not be here.

Drowning people & children in particular are quiet. It's almost like an under water trance. In a crowded noisy pool, it's easy even for trained lifeguards to miss something.

Prayers to the family.

First, let me say my condolences to the family.

Regardless of what the circumstances were and who was watching the child, there is a strong message here and that is that children need to be watched, constantly, when by the water.

Earlier this year, I was at a party, nearby to a pool where many adults and kids were splashing and playing. Suddenly I heard a loud splash as one of the women at the party spotted someone else's child near drowning. She was a former lifeguard and recognized the signs. The other adults nearby who had eyes on the pool, had no idea what was happening!

Further, I live on a lake and I cannot tell you the number of times that I have seen friends and family let their young kids go into the water alone. The water is shallow for about 200 yards, only knee deep on an adult and then it gets deep, fast! But we all know it is possible to drown in knee deep water. It takes time, quite a bit of time, to walk out 200 yards, longer than it takes someone to drown but yet the adults let the kids go on their own. I always warn them but some listen, some don't and I hold my breath every time I see if happen!

So I think the message here is learn the signs of drowning, pay attention to your kids at the pool, at the lake, at the beach and maybe, just maybe you can prevent a tragedy. Sadly, a watched child may still drown but an unwatched one will drown for sure!

First, let me say my condolences to the family.

Regardless of what the circumstances were and who was watching the child, there is a strong message here and that is that children need to be watched, constantly, when by the water.

Earlier this year, I was at a party, nearby to a pool where many adults and kids were splashing and playing. Suddenly I heard a loud splash as one of the women at the party spotted someone else's child near drowning. She was a former lifeguard and recognized the signs. The other adults nearby who had eyes on the pool, had no idea what was happening!

Further, I live on a lake and I cannot tell you the number of times that I have seen friends and family let their young kids go into the water alone. The water is shallow for about 200 yards, only knee deep on an adult and then it gets deep, fast! But we all know it is possible to drown in knee deep water. It takes time, quite a bit of time, to walk out 200 yards, longer than it takes someone to drown but yet the adults let the kids go on their own. I always warn them but some listen, some don't and I hold my breath every time I see if happen!

So I think the message here is learn the signs of drowning, pay attention to your kids at the pool, at the lake, at the beach and maybe, just maybe you can prevent a tragedy. Sadly, a watched child may still drown but an unwatched one will drown for sure!

The time my DD the Lifeguard stopped the young teen from diving from the bench into the very wavey shallow pool on the cruiseship I was standing beside her and didn't notice what he was about to do. Like the former lifeguard that saved the child in your story my daughter was scanning the pool even if she didn't realize it herself at the time. Old habits I guess!

Just stumbled across this (In an NCL thread?????).

How very tragic. I can't even imagine the grief the family is going through.

Don't know them, but kind thoughts and sincere prayers are going out to them.

Yes, this is very sad and yes, CCL not NCL, the thread regarding this on CCL board had to be closed/locked. It was getting quite unmanageable and imagine how hurtful that would have been for the poor family.

Archived