Nha Trang - what to see / do

Princess Jessie

From this thread from a while back, most people when they get off a cruise ship in Nha Trang head to the markets.

I said back then

.... I found the Nha Trang markets to be one of the best. Ok, I'll admit that their souveneirs weren't as good as other places, but I found the fresh food area of the Cho Dam Market to be absolutely fantastic.

The people were friendly (at one stage my wife and I were watching a lady sort out....well I'm not sure what it was...so the lady cuts one open and hands it to us to try), they're happy for you to take photos (some markets where there is high piracy, such as KL's China Town, etc, we had problems taking photos of ourselves even because stall holders got funny), and the range of what they had there was amazing.

We had a 3/4 day in Nha Trang from the Diamond a few years ago, got off the ship, walked around the markets (we did both Cho Dam and Vin Hai, the two markets), had lunch in a local cafe, and then wandered along the beach. The beach is lovely, but there are touts all up and down it.

We were specificially advised by Princess and the on-board attractions lady to avoid the Vinpearl Amusement Park as it apparently has an attrocious safety record.

Friends of ours from the same ship went to the Egg Mud Baths and have gone back to Nha Trang during subsequent Vietnam trips just to do this again. They said it is the most relaxing thing they've ever done.

I love Nha Trang and I hope you do too!

• 2 weeks later...

If you didn't want to just do the beach and the markets there are some tourist sights as well - Long Son Pagoda and Ponogar Temple. Both interesting in their own way. Beware of the hawkers, especially at Long Son who follow you all the way up the stairs as you climb to the Buddha. A little pushy!

If you didn't want to just do the beach and the markets there are some tourist sights as well - Long Son Pagoda and Ponogar Temple. Both interesting in their own way. Beware of the hawkers, especially at Long Son who follow you all the way up the stairs as you climb to the Buddha. A little pushy!

...that was our main goal, simply visit the market and experience the beautiful beach and swim the South China Sea.

After tasting a number of exotic fruits and wandering through the fascinating markets...we came across a rickshaw driver. After a friendly discussion (mostly hand language) the driver agreed to take us all over the place including the Buddha, a temple, a church, and ended the afternoon at the beach. He pulled the rickshaw with the two of us sitting in the back...in and out of traffic...and had an experience of a lifetime.

All he wanted was $8...we gave him $40. I run marathons and I couldn't have done what he had done. Perhaps you'll be as lucky and find one. Good luck and happy sailing. :)

...that was our main goal, simply visit the market and experience the beautiful beach and swim the South China Sea.

After tasting a number of exotic fruits and wandering through the fascinating markets...we came across a rickshaw driver. After a friendly discussion (mostly hand language) the driver agreed to take us all over the place including the Buddha, a temple, a church, and ended the afternoon at the beach. He pulled the rickshaw with the two of us sitting in the back...in and out of traffic...and had an experience of a lifetime.

All he wanted was $8...we gave him $40. I run marathons and I couldn't have done what he had done. Perhaps you'll be as lucky and find one. Good luck and happy sailing. :)

Glad you had a good time but he will now charge his next customers $40:cool:

Archived