MDR table request: JH or Maitre-d'?

Mary Ellen1

Soooo. What is your preferred strategy for making a table request in the MDR? Once, I made a request through John's blog page. I've never emailed the Maitre-d' directly, but I've seen those email addressed floating around on this board, so I wondered what the pro's & cons were of either method.

Funny story -- we got our requested table size in the MDR, and on the first night, the waiters came by with a cake to sing Happy Birthday to me. NOT my birthday, so we wondered if that was also something JH had set up, related to the request we'd made.

So, perhaps, factor "Unexpected Birthday Cake" in as a benefit of making requests through JH. What are your thoughts/experiences with requesting through JH vs. through the MD?

Thanks!

DH and I prefer a table for 2, so on embarkation day he goes to the dining room when the maitre'd is there (listed in Fun Times) and requests what we want. Sometimes we have to switch dining times, but that's okay. We are Platinum and once we bumped another couple. After 29 cruises, we aren't into small talk at big tables anymore and prefer our own company instead. We have never tried making arrangements ahead of time, only on embarkation day.

DH and I prefer a table for 2, so on embarkation day he goes to the dining room when the maitre'd is there (listed in Fun Times) and requests what we want. Sometimes we have to switch dining times, but that's okay. We are Platinum and once we bumped another couple. After 29 cruises, we aren't into small talk at big tables anymore and prefer our own company instead. We have never tried making arrangements ahead of time, only on embarkation day.

Yeah... not really wanting to stand in that dining room line on embarkation day. I'd prefer to set it up in advance. Thanks, though, Djptcp. I'm also looking for a table for 2 -- for the same reason as you. :)

For me, I wouldn't bother JH with something I can easily take care of myself.

JH has also stated that answering emails for dining requests is not part of the MD's job. I know some of them do, but I wouldn't want to take the chance that my email was ignored.

We do YTD now, and just ask for a 2 top...no problem. Before YTD, I went to see the MD at the designated time. I don't recall waiting in line, maybe I was lucky.

Those are my thoughts.

Yeah... not really wanting to stand in that dining room line on embarkation day. I'd prefer to set it up in advance. Thanks, though, Djptcp. I'm also looking for a table for 2 -- for the same reason as you. :)

We have done it via JH sometimes and by e-mailing the Maitre'D other times. In every case we got the table for 2 we requested. We always check out the table location to make sure we don't have to get in the line to change.

Never got a birthday cake that either we or our TA didn't order. It must have been meant for someone else.

We are in same situation...many cruises..and just want a table for two...we are platinum..but I have emailed the MD...and sent JH a message...hoping it will work out..and we will check when we board to see what table we got...if it's not will go see the Maitre'd.

We sailed with three other couples this past June on the Glory..one couple did not book until about a month out...and early dining was waitlisted.... our ressies were cross referenced and I did contact Carnival and JH...we all were at the same table! So hope for our table for two in about three weeks:)

Personally, I'd email the MD. If you email JH, he's just going to go email the MD anyways. John has a lot on his plate, routine dinner requests should probably go right to the guy in charge of those on your ship. But of course, there's no guarantee and sometimes a visit in person on embarkation day is what it takes.

Good luck either way!

OP: What kind of table do you want? Ever since we started doing Anytime Dining, we've never had an issue getting the table we want. In our case, we like a table for 2 (or 4 if traveling as a family) overlooking the first floor and we always get it just by asking when we show up at the MDR for dinner.

During our last three Carnival cruises there were numerous tables for two that were vacant the entire cruise during the late seating.

We always request by email a specific table near the Maitre'D station and although we've only received a response from the Maitre'D once, the request has always been met.

We send the email the week before we cruise.

A thirty second email to the maître d of your ship with

Name

date of your cruise

booking number

Hi ,Id like to request a table for two

Thank you

I did this our last cruise and got a response a few hours later from I think the assistant maître d

the maitre-d never replied to me and I have a very good reason for my request, I then tried the special needs department and they got back to me but wanted a doctors letter. I have had my doc write letters many important things for me - insurance , blue badge, health care, adaptions for my home etc so there was no way I was about to bother him for a dining request.

In the end I have contacted JH and he has forwarded the request to the MD. If that fails we will pay the MD a visit at the time posted in the fun times- And if all fails will probably eat quite a few of our meals at the buffet. I will know soon so will post back on here after my cruise.

Edited by fragilek

Our Carnival Splendor sailing last month was last-minute booked 6 weeks out via TA, who contacted CCL on our behalf to link/confirm that 2 cabins of 6 were being wait-listed for First Seating (ATD & Second Seating was still available) with our own table.

Added a 3rd. cabin 3 or 4 days later as more folks joined the sailing, was advised by TA that they linked the booking and requested waitlisting for First Seating together - to be assigned during check-in.

Emailed ship's Maitre'd about 5 days before sailing as all 3 cabins still showing waitlist to reconfirm our request - now for a table to seat 9 together, and that we would NOT mind being moved to Second Seating (our fall back is to use ATD and just try to dine when it's not busy, and prepared to wait - just not getting split up) No email confirmation or reply received - prepared to stood in line to make changes after boarding the ship.

Day of disembarkation - 3 cabins checking in separately and our 2nd. choice granted - Second Seating at the same table in MDR - and, a great dining team that took care of us for 8 nights.

the maitre-d never replied to me and I have a very good reason for my request, I then tried the special needs department and they got back to me but wanted a doctors letter. I have had my doc write letters many important things for me - insurance , blue badge, health care, adaptions for my home etc so there was no way I was about to bother him for a dining request.

In the end I have contacted JH and he has forwarded the request to the MD. If that fails we will pay the MD a visit at the time posted in the fun times- And if all fails will probably eat quite a few of our meals at the buffet. I will know soon so will post back on here after my cruise.

I am guessing allergies or diet needs ?

The buffet is actually nice during dinner when everyone else is in the MDR

I am guessing allergies or diet needs ?

No my main issue was that I am on medication that can make me feel quite sick in the evening so I would have preferred ytd so that if I was feeling ill early than I could wait a while before going to diner. Or failing that I requested a table for 2 in any sitting so that if I sat down then felt a bit ill then I could just leave the table without feeling rude towards any others still eating. I offered to send my chemo script to special needs but they still wanted the docs letter so I just gave up on them. (my doc has been amazing to my family over the last few years so there was no way I was going to get him involved in something as petty as my dinning on holiday- I'm just glad he okay-ed the trip if I see him again he might change his mind:D)

The buffet is actually nice during dinner when everyone else is in the MDR

Hopefully- I sure I will gave a great trip regardless of where I end up eating - I'm more worried about the weather at the moment. Edited by fragilek

We have done it via JH sometimes and by e-mailing the Maitre'D other times. In every case we got the table for 2 we requested. We always check out the table location to make sure we don't have to get in the line to change.

Never got a birthday cake that either we or our TA didn't order. It must have been meant for someone else.

Would you please share the email address/format for contacting the maitre d? We are sailing on the Magic

Thank you.

For me, I wouldn't bother JH with something I can easily take care of myself.

JH has also stated that answering emails for dining requests is not part of the MD's job. I know some of them do, but I wouldn't want to take the chance that my email was ignored.

We do YTD now, and just ask for a 2 top...no problem. Before YTD, I went to see the MD at the designated time. I don't recall waiting in line, maybe I was lucky.

Those are my thoughts.

Good points. Thanks KenMo. We’ve had mixed experiences with YTD, so I think we’re going with the early seating. We like knowing that our table is ready, with no waiting.

They sang Happy Birthday to me by name. So I just went along with it, but it was so strange! :eek:

Contacting John on his FB page has worked for us. Wish you could request this when booking.

Totally agree!

I don't mean to be dumb, but who is JH? How would I get an email address or contact info ahead of cruise day for MD or JH?

JH = John Heald, Carnival’s brand ambassador and leading Cruise Director. I would contact him via his Facebook page or his blog, johnhealdsblog.com

I’ve seen the Maitre-d’s email addresses on here, but don’t have them at hand.

OP: What kind of table do you want? Ever since we started doing Anytime Dining, we've never had an issue getting the table we want. In our case, we like a table for 2 (or 4 if traveling as a family) overlooking the first floor and we always get it just by asking when we show up at the MDR for dinner.

Tapi, we just want a table for 2, but I kind of like your suggestion of one on the upper level, overlooking the first floor. So great for people-watching!

A thirty second email to the maître d of your ship with

Name

date of your cruise

booking number

Hi ,Id like to request a table for two

Thank you

I did this our last cruise and got a response a few hours later from I think the assistant maître d

Good to know – sounds quick & easy. Do you have the email format? I know it goes by ship; we’re sailing on the Victory.

When cruising with my DH (who prefers a table for 2) I just make the request through my PVP and have never not received my choice. Never have had to go out of my way or bother anyone else.

I didn’t think about going through the PVP. Good suggestion.

Would you please share the email address/format for contacting the maitre d? We are sailing on the Magic

Thank you.

I’m looking for the same info. If I find it, I’ll post it here.

Found the email addresses:

XXmaitred@carnival.com

just replace the XX with the appropriate ship abbreviation:

CQ Conquest

SH Sunshine

DR Dream

EC Ecstacy

FA Fantasy

FS Fascination

FD Freedom

GL Glory

HO Holiday

IM Imagination

IS Inspiration

LE Legend

LI Liberty

MI Miracle

PA Paradise

SE Sensation

SP Spirit

SL Splendor

TI Triumph

VA Valor

VI Victory

EL Elation

PR Pride

BR Breeze

MC Magic

Thanks to all who responded. :)

• 1 year later...
What ARE their e-mail addresses? I heard id you use their name like

SP(for Splendor)maitre'd@carnival.com it goes directly to his inbox on the ship. Anyone know?

That would go to the Carnival Spirit. ;)

Splendor is SL.

Edited by Disconnections

i can't believe people really invoke john heald for dining room table requests, but i suppose he created that monster.

the further option of e-mailing the MD has presented itself and in some cases, has been honored, thus making valid that prospect so no harm in trying, though it is not guaranteed.

anytime dining affords you the choice for a table for 2, every time, and you can even eat at the standard fixed dining times, if you choose. or, you may visit with the maitre d and request a table of your preference. this is what most people do, and the standard options available to every passenger.