HAL's direct baggage service?

elycelynne

I will be on the Westerdam. Disembarkment at 7am. I have an 11:30 am flight from Ft. Lauderdale airport, which I know is only 10 min drive from port. If I use Luggage Direct service, will I get to the airport by 10:15am - in time to make my flight as no bags to check.???

Based on our experience yesterday the answer is yes. We got off at 745 with Luggage Direct.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Forums mobile app

We tried Luggage Direct for the first time on our last cruise in Nov. Since I am not a very trusting person, it was hard for me to "let go" of my bags and "trust" that they will get to the airport and home without me being involved in some way. Well, I was pleasantly surprised that it worked beautifully and there were our Big Green Bags going around the baggage carousel in Charlotte after we landed. It was like a miracle to me!:) I would do it again in a heartbeat if it was offered. And yes, we were off the ship very early and to the airport in no time (by 9AMish). The worst part was we had an approx. four hour wait at the FLL airport, which is not the nicest airport, IMHO. (I guess CLT has me spoiled).

I was on HAL and signed up for Luggage Direct. The afternoon before disembarkment

HAL told me Southwest would not allow me to check bags. No reason given

HAL should have let us get off first, but did not.

But immigration was only 5 min., so got to airport no problems.

My flight isn't until 4:45 p.m. I really don't want to be off the ship THAT early. And if I signed up for one of HAL's Ft. Lauderdale tours it would probably be the same story.

Hmmm. What to do, what to do???

We have same situation coming up in feb. Our ship shorex bus will keep the bags locked for us till the end of our excursion which is 7 hours as scheduled. So IMO no need for luggage direct if you have a ship shorex at the end of your cruise. One negative aspect of luggage direct also is if you needed something from your bags like a rain coat or something but they are GONE.

We disembarked the Westerdam on 12/13. Our flight was on Southwest and we used Luggage Direct. The staff did tell us we would be among the last to get our tags, etc., due to Southwest holding to the 24-hour check in rule. The feeling I got was that some airlines allow a earlier check-in with the service.

Our flight out of FLL ended up being canceled due to weather and we had to retrieve our bags at the airport. So while the service worked getting our luggage to the airport it didn't make it all the way home. Not their fault but it kills me to lose $40! :(

Our flight out of FLL ended up being canceled due to weather and we had to retrieve our bags at the airport. So while the service worked getting our luggage to the airport it didn't make it all the way home. Not their fault but it kills me to lose $40! :(

One of the joys of winter travel. We had the same thing happen in 2009. Had to spend an extra night at a hotel.

We disembarked the Westerdam on 12/13. Our flight was on Southwest and we used Luggage Direct. The staff did tell us we would be among the last to get our tags, etc., due to Southwest holding to the 24-hour check in rule. The feeling I got was that some airlines allow a earlier check-in with the service.

Still, you didn't have to worry about it at the cruise terminal or lug it around getting to the airport...so even though it didn't get the whole way, I would have still been pleased for that. Still money well spent to me.

Sent from my iPad