Western Caribbean - Navigator April 1, 2014

bajadenny

:)

Topical Hideaways is the name of the cruise. It is 10 days starting in Miami on 1 April 2014.

Howdy to all the other guests who are going on this ship. We just booked all our free excursions.

We joined the roll call and would encourage others to do the same.

Denny & Lisa

• 1 year later...
The passengers turned out to be as friendly on board as they participated on this thread - not!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I checked your Roll Call and found nothing to be upset about. Not sure why this thread is on the regular board but sometimes people don't know where to post. We have done this itinerary and prefer it to the "typical" Caribbean ports because it is less touristy.

If you truly feel that this isn't the right cruise for you, I suggest that you cancel since you can do so without penalty.

I checked your Roll Call and found nothing to be upset about. Not sure why this thread is on the regular board but sometimes people don't know where to post. We have done this itinerary and prefer it to the "typical" Caribbean ports because it is less touristy.

If you truly feel that this isn't the right cruise for you, I suggest that you cancel since you can do so without penalty.

If one can cancel a cruise without penalty almost 7 months AFTER the sailing date, please, please let us all in on the secret so we too can sail free.

The OP made a fairly obvious error in dates.

The passengers turned out to be as friendly on board as they participated on this thread - not!:mad::mad::mad::mad:

The OP has already taken this cruise (thus, the past tense in the post), and was apparently not happy with the passengers on board, nor on the fact that no one ever commented on this thread when it was first posted last year. However, the roll call for the cruise had several comments, the last of which was posted by the OP two weeks before the cruise. So, I'm not sure where the discontent with people not participating is coming from...there was certainly participation on the roll call. I'm also confused as to why the OP waited almost 7 months to post a generic comment regarding the passengers on board not being friendly. :confused:

The OP made a fairly obvious error in dates.

Nice try, no cigar; the OP had the correct dates; cruise was taken in April 2014 so still looking to see your secret for cancelling and getting a refund on a previously taken cruise after almost 7 months????

Agree. Some people just like to be critical. I'm over it;)

Acknowledging your error would have been nice, rather than relying on others to cover your back, but hey, it's great that you're over it. I, for one, would have liked to hear from the OP what exactly they found unfriendly from the people on the cruise they took in April. And why he or she waited 7 months to post their discontent. But apparently the post was made just to start an argument...and I guess it worked. Now I'm over it.

Acknowledging your error would have been nice, rather than relying on others to cover your back, but hey, it's great that you're over it. I, for one, would have liked to hear from the OP what exactly they found unfriendly from the people on the cruise they took in April. And why he or she waited 7 months to post their discontent. But apparently the post was made just to start an argument...and I guess it worked. Now I'm over it.

Actually, I did not realize the error until this minute. I obviously did not realize that the original post was made in 2013. If I make a mistake and it is brought to my attention I have no problem apologizing (have done so many times) -- do not need anyone to cover my back. In this case, I just did not see it. Cannot believe how snarky this thread has become over a simple mistake.:cool:

Actually, I did not realize the error until this minute. I obviously did not realize that the original post was made in 2013. If I make a mistake and it is brought to my attention I have no problem apologizing (have done so many times) -- do not need anyone to cover my back. In this case, I just did not see it. Cannot believe how snarky this thread has become over a simple mistake.:cool:

Indeed.

Good to see that there are non-judgmental folks on Cruise Critic. Maybe it is the name (Critic) that draws out the best in people.

Strident postings and self-assured, inaccurate commenting can sour the open communications supplied by this forum.

TT, it should be fairly obvious what 'tude was projected by too many of the passengers on that cruise, somewhat reflective of the postings on this thread.

TT, I wasn't able to find those "other postings" before the cruise that you referenced in your post, below. In any case, I will try to quell your curiosity over the clientele on the ship.

Regent crashed the prices on all levels of cabins during the last three weeks prior to departure. With that, all nature of Brits and "local" Floridians toppled into the soup, drawn in by ridiculously cheap fares. The Brits got glued together in a big ball of silver hair to loudly discuss their good fortune over finding low prices for their 4th or 10th time in the Carib. The Floridians' conversations seemed limited to comparing what gated community they lived in or what life saving surgeries they had accumulated, while lighting one cigarette with the dying butt of another. They did expand their loud conversations as the cruise went on to remembrances of their neighborhood restaurants (many no longer exist) and favorite dishes when they lived in New Jersey, New York and Conn.

We did have pleasant times with a Peruvian couple, some folks from Toronto, Nashville and Santa Barbara. They were equally shocked by what the cheap prices dredged up.

Ya'll have a nice life, OK?

Edited by bajadenny

Since you have silver hair as well, I'm sure you must have felt left out!

So what's wrong with discussing a great deal??

What's wrong with feeling happy to be alive and remembering good times??

I'm clearly missing something.

Debi

Good to see that there are non-judgmental folks on Cruise Critic. Maybe it is the name (Critic) that draws out the best in people.

Strident postings and self-assured, inaccurate commenting can sour the open communications supplied by this forum.

TT, it should be fairly obvious what 'tude was projected by too many of the passengers on that cruise, somewhat reflective of the postings on this thread.

TT, I wasn't able to find those "other postings" before the cruise that you referenced in your post, below. In any case, I will try to quell your curiosity over the clientele on the ship.

Regent crashed the prices on all levels of cabins during the last three weeks prior to departure. With that, all nature of Brits and "local" Floridians toppled into the soup, drawn in by ridiculously cheap fares. The Brits got glued together in a big ball of silver hair to loudly discuss their good fortune over finding low prices for their 4th or 10th time in the Carib. The Floridians' conversations seemed limited to comparing what gated community they lived in or what life saving surgeries they had accumulated, while lighting one cigarette with the dying butt of another. They did expand their loud conversations as the cruise went on to remembrances of their neighborhood restaurants (many no longer exist) and favorite dishes when they lived in New Jersey, New York and Conn.

We did have pleasant times with a Peruvian couple, some folks from Toronto, Nashville and Santa Barbara. They were equally shocked by what the cheap prices dredged up.

Ya'll have a nice life, OK?

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Charming...

Wow - such an angry thread. I do want to comment on the rock bottom prices that have been offered in the U.K. Obviously this would be frustrating to people in North America that have been cruising with Regent for many years and do not get these types of offers. On the other hand, there is no reason for posters to get nasty about it.

My concern is that Regent appeals to a target audience which certainly implies that a person can afford to sail on Regent. This is not to say that someone needs to be rich -- many people save for a special occasion and sail on Regent for that occasion. My point is that most passengers select Regent and truly want to be on this particular cruise line.

From what I've heard from the crew, there is a big difference between passengers that want to sail on Regent and those that get it "free" or for a low-ball price. The example they use is passengers on charter cruises. Most people on corporate charter cruises did not pay for the cruise. They know little to nothing about Regent -- it's culture -- what they offer -- even that it is a luxury cruise line. Some charter groups abuse the ship -- stay up until all hours of the night getting drunk, etc. They can be very loud and obnoxious. On a recent charter earlier this month (discussed on this board), children were at the bar grabbing food. The worst part is that there were paying passengers on the ship that were sailing with this unruly group of 400.

I personally do not want to see passengers on board Regent that have paid a low-ball price - no matter where in the world they come from. In terms of elderly passengers -- the comments made are simply rude and unnecessary. If people want to cruise with younger people, perhaps they should try a main stream cruise line. Or, take 7 night cruises on Regent in the Med., Baltics or Alaska.

Such a frustrating thread:(

Please reference the roll call for your cruise at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1817818. There you will find the other postings to which I was referring...four of which you yourself made.

I am glad to hear, however, that your cruise was apparently an anomaly regarding the passenger demographics. I have always found the passengers on Regent to be quite fun and friendly, and therefore I was surprised to hear that your experience was different. In fact, I see that Crystal is your favorite cruise line, and I can tell you from my experience with both lines that I would much rather be on a ship with Regent regulars than those of Crystal. Not that the Crystal passengers weren't nice...they were. But I just found them to not be quite as laid back and welcoming as the Regent passengers I have encountered.

I'm sorry your cruise was filled with silver haired Brits and local Floridians who obviously did not fit into the age category you expected on Regent. Personally, I think I would have enjoyed that demographic...you can learn so much and hear so many interesting stories from folks who have been on this Earth for so long, if you just take the time to get to know them.

OctoberKat, I think you will be quite happy with your cruise in January. Great time of year to be in the Caribbean!! Hope you have a great time!

I must admit I probably got on to this thread by error. I'm gray haired and travel Regent extensively. Until reading some of the comments here I really didn't know there were so many of my fellow cruisers who frowned on my presence during their vacations. I am a man who has educated our young, served my country on the battlefront in Korea, paid all my taxes on time, and never spent a minute in any of America's jails. Frankly, I feel absolutely flabbergasted. I must ask those who have been so outspoken about senior citizens to examine themselves regarding their own fathers and mothers and their grandparents? Do you not see yourselves in them and hope that you, like them, will enjoy good health in later years and be able to cruise at will? Words are powerful as is the thought that pushes them forward. Jack

2oldforthis: Well said.

Baja: you just about covered quite a few negative stereotypes. I guess you forgot to add Florida Hispanics such as me who also sail on Regent. I'm originally from New York/New Jersey and live in Florida because this is where we integrated our family into the local community after retiring from the military. I don't make a lot of money (80 percent disabled from 27 years of working for Uncle Sam), but we save it and try to sail annually on Regent.

I am so glad to have never met anyone with an elitist and pompous attitude while onboard. Instead, we have met all sorts of wonderful and friendly people from all over; the kind that any first time Regent cruiser would hope to meet so as to erase negative perceptions originating from this board.

Every one has the right to go on a Regent cruise as long as they are decent and respectful human beings and not act the way some folks do on this board. The cost paid for a cruise does not define the person. Shameful. And if anyone got their fare cheaper than me, then let's share a drink and tell me how you did it so I can also benefit from it in the future.

Z and TB

2oldforthis: Also respect your post.

Zqueeze1, truly hope that you did not take my post the wrong way. People that want to sail on Regent like we do are the heart and soul of Regent (IMO). However, if there is a sale that encourages people that do not care about Regent to book the cruise, these are the people that I am talking about. I will probably be slammed for my next comment but always speak my mind....... if Carnival, RCCL or NCL passengers could cruise on Regent for $599/per person for a week, they would certainly do so. Hmmmmm, no matter how I try to explain this it doesn't work.

Bottom line for me is that I hope to sail with 2oldforthis or Zqueeze1 sometime. They would be a delight to sail with.

2oldforthis: Also respect your post.

Zqueeze1, truly hope that you did not take my post the wrong way. People that want to sail on Regent like we do are the heart and soul of Regent (IMO). However, if there is a sale that encourages people that do not care about Regent to book the cruise, these are the people that I am talking about. I will probably be slammed for my next comment but always speak my mind....... if Carnival, RCCL or NCL passengers could cruise on Regent for $599/per person for a week, they would certainly do so. Hmmmmm, no matter how I try to explain this it doesn't work.

Bottom line for me is that I hope to sail with 2oldforthis or Zqueeze1 sometime. They would be a delight to sail with.

TC, a word to the wise. As Will Rogers said: "When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging." :D

TC, a word to the wise. As Will Rogers said: "When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging." :D

In general I agree with you. However, these two posters are kind, their posts are well thought out and I don't think they would take my post personally.

On a different topic, are you on the Dubai to Cape Town cruise? Not sure why I think that you are.