Nassau: Junkanoo beach vs British Colonial Hilton

richraven

What's the cost for the Sheraton day pass? Just wanted to know to be able to compare costs with the other hotel mentioned here. Junkanoo beach sounds cheaper but looks like the only thing you can rent are chairs and an umbrella. With hubby and two boys, it'd be nice to have the option of renting snorkel gear, kayaks, and other beach toys.

Rates - http://www.sheratonnassau.com/day-pass

This is an email I recieved 3 days ago regarding prices for day passes. It seems a better deal if you book a room for 12 hours.

Dear Rich,

Thank you for your e-mail.

The day pass is $99.00 for a room of 2 persons and each additional person is $10.00 with a maximum of 4 persons to a room. Otherwise (without room) $30 per person and children (4-12 years) $15 per child. These prices are for the use of the facilities and the passes can be purchased at our Front Desk upon arrival. Only the day room pass can be purchased in advance and these passes are unlimited and are valid from 7am to 7pm daily. Both passes includes kayaking, snorkel gear, water trampoline, floatation mats, aqua cycle and paddle boats. Please note resort fees and taxes are not applicable to these passes. The cruise port is about 20 minutes from the hotel by taxi and the charge is around $21 for 2 passengers and each additional $3 or by bus #10 at $1.25 per person.

Am I looking at this the right way ?

Once you step out of the ship terminal, if I stay to my right I will hit first the British Colonial Hilton, then Junkanoo beach and then a bit further the Sheraton.

Right ?

All within walking distance of a good snack in downtown Nassau and near the straw market....

I went once to Nassau and we got a guided tour ( that we loved ) and temperature was not on our side so we didn't do any beaches...this time around ( weather permitting ) we would love to hit a beach :D

......the live cam of the beach at the Sheraton looks :D ...

thanks all !

We have done both. Hilton was very nice. Clean beach. We did find the pools a tad chilly in april though. Food was decent. Service at the restaurant is SLOW- island time.

We did Junkanoo in August. I agree there was some glass, but its sea glass. It was not sharp at all. We did not rent anything there- put our towels on the beach and sat there and we swam (granted we were just there for about an hour and a half). It didnt feel too "shady" to me- There were locals there, working, and some local kids having summer fun too (in addition to other cruise passengers).

With a 4 year old I would recommend the Sheraton. Nice beach and they also have a zero entry pool (pools are much nice than the boring rectangle at the Hilton). We are hitting up the Atlantis the next trip, but after that we will try the Sheraton!

We were just at Junkanoo this week and had a great time. Granted we went a bit late getting there about 4:30 pm or so (after a bus city tour and lunch on the ship) and all but one of the little shacks had closed. We didn't see any glass and the beach was clean. Only one "shady" character - a woman telling someone to leave the %#^%$* island and hissing at them - but we didn't feel in any danger. We thought Junkanoo beach was just fine.

We love Junkanoo. Beach is very clean (if you get there at 8 am there is some trash on the beach but by 8:30 or 9 am they have picked it all up). 2 chairs/table from JYAH (first vendor when you get there) is $30. Great place, beach is very clean, a little sea glass here and there but not glass/glass. Everyone is very friendly, cops walking around all the time, bathrooms are spotless.

Great food places. We always get lunch at the kiosk that sells the jerk chicken.. $6 for a good plate of either wings or cut up chicken and so yummy!! He also has other stuff but we always get the chickent.

Love it there, since we found Junkanoo, it is the only place we go to when in the Bahamas.

I feel like I was at a different beach! Was there less than 2 weeks ago for the first time and Junkanoo beach was a complete mess. There was glass in the sand EVERYwhere. You could not walk AT ALL anywhere without staring down at your feet praying you didn't step on any. I told my mother who was with me, that we will never go to that beach again.

I am very confused about Junkanoo Beach. The reviews are all over the place. Some rave, others say it is awful. I now just read that Junkanoo Beach is about a mile long. If that is true, then maybe that is where the confusion lies. Maybe there is both a 'nice' and a "not-so-nice" section.

Anyone?

I've been to both. I would not go to Junkanoo again. When I went there earlier this year, I didn't have a choice because it was a New Year's cruise so BCH was sold out. I am a solo woman traveler and I was harassed on the beach by local men. It was super annoying. Then there were a few people selling things. On my very first cruise I went to BCH and it was nice--small but nice. The food was excellent too. I have a cruise coming up and just made a reservation to lock it in.

Awesome reviews.... Where do you buy the Pass at...The resort itself?

From what I have read, you can walk there? I have a 3 and 5 year old that I will be packing.

Now the Day pass does not come with food? Is food extra?

Thanks for the heads up!!

Happy Sailing:D

Passes to the British Colonial Hilton can be purchases in advance thru Island marketing, or at the front desk .. same day.

http://bahamascruiseexcursions.com/NassauHiltonResortPass.htm

Passes are $60 thru the website.. $5 more at the desk.

Day passes include a food voucher ($40) to be used at the Patio Bar and Grill for lunch or drinks.

Children 6-12 are 1/2 price and include a $15 voucher. Under 5 are free. (no food voucher)

This is a small quiet property. Not a resort atmosphere.

Edited by scubagirrl

Thanks scubagirrl,

Can you snorkel on the beach there?

any water activities?

Thanks for the Reply!

Can you snorkel.. yes.. is there anything to see?? not much. It's a white sandy bottom. A few minnows pass now and then..

It's not an active beach.. most people relax, read, tan or nap.

There are 2 kayaks for use by guests.

NO jetski's, parasailing, bananaboats etc. No motorized sports are allowed in the harbour. (same goes for Junkanoo beach).

If you or your family need to be entertained.. this is not the property for you.

I was at Junkanoo Beach just a few days ago with my 19 year old daughter, just us two girls. I did not see any trash or glass. We rented chairs and umbrella from Byron at the tiki shack bar by the bath room/shower, not far from Fat Tuesdays. My daughter got some unwanted attention from a guy that was a fellow passenger on our ship and Byron was quick to make sure we were doing ok. Yes, there were locals around.....they offered hair braiding, jewelry, etc but took no for an answer and we received no pressure.

I thought the bathrooms were dirty and smelly but kind of similar to what I have found at other public beach facilities.

I think because the OP has a small child, I would recommend the resort day pass. Otherwise, I think Junkanoo offers a more authentic Bahamian experience.

After dozens of trips to Nassau, I can honestly say this was my best experience there yet!

We went to Junkanoo Beach on Nov. 23rd and had a great time. This beach is free and just a 15-20 minute walk from the pier. I did not notice any broken glass or trash in the sand.

We walked to the 2nd pier where it was less crowded, we sat in front of Gloria beach bar. Chairs were 10.00 but I haggled the price to 7.00 each. Beer was 3 for 12.00 and mixed drinks were 6.00-9.00. We had no food but they had a chicken BBQ right on the reach that was doing a brisk business.

Restrooms were clean enough for the amount of people using them.