Azamara Journey Mumbai to Athens

Kobilee

Hi all

Im wondering if anyone has done this cruise before. We are considering this for next April - its 17 days and has lots of days at sea (6 at one point). Have not sailed Azamara before so lots of questions come to mind: is there enough onboard activity?? Also I wonder should further unrest in that area around Suez happen what wouldcompany's policy be on sailing in those areas. Any thoughts and opinions welcome!!

I did this trip in May and it's not your typical Azamara cruise. Ours was 14 days without Jordan and Egypt, but lots of sea days (9 in a row including the Suez transit). There were activities, but not a huge amount. I'd say you need to like those sea days and the relaxation they bring. We spent time on deck and in Mosaic when the heat got too much. Being from Sydney you may be more used to the high temperatures, especially at the moment (!), but it was very hot in Mumbai and sea days temperatures up the Red Sea were often 90°F+ and sometimes near 100 and for the first time for me on a cruise it was too hot to sit at the aft bar.

Because of piracy threat in the Gulf of Aden area you will have armed personnel onboard and certain restrictions when it's dark. No balcony or outside access to the ship after dusk except a small area kept open for smokers and no balcony lights/curtains drawn after 6pm. It lasted for six or seven days as we left Fujairah and headed around the Gulf of Aden and up the Red Sea. This extra security didn't bother us at all and we felt quite safe, but be aware of it if it bothers you. I found it added another element to the trip. Loved those sea days and relaxation and we'd do it again, but it's not for everyone.

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden

Thanks Phil. I think we are getting keener every day! We do love the hot weather so that is a plus for us. Its a very very resonable price and we are thinking of it as our opportunity to try a little luxury.

Jenny

Hi Sue

We too are doing a land tour of India prior to the cruise however ours is just 5 nights. It sounds good. We are really looking forward to the whole thing. We have also tacked on 2 nights on Santorini at the end.

Jenny

• 3 weeks later...
I did this trip in May and it's not your typical Azamara cruise. Ours was 14 days without Jordan and Egypt, but lots of sea days (9 in a row including the Suez transit). There were activities, but not a huge amount. I'd say you need to like those sea days and the relaxation they bring. We spent time on deck and in Mosaic when the heat got too much. Being from Sydney you may be more used to the high temperatures, especially at the moment (!), but it was very hot in Mumbai and sea days temperatures up the Red Sea were often 90°F+ and sometimes near 100 and for the first time for me on a cruise it was too hot to sit at the aft bar.

Because of piracy threat in the Gulf of Aden area you will have armed personnel onboard and certain restrictions when it's dark. No balcony or outside access to the ship after dusk except a small area kept open for smokers and no balcony lights/curtains drawn after 6pm. It lasted for six or seven days as we left Fujairah and headed around the Gulf of Aden and up the Red Sea. This extra security didn't bother us at all and we felt quite safe, but be aware of it if it bothers you. I found it added another element to the trip. Loved those sea days and relaxation and we'd do it again, but it's not for everyone.

Phil

We've just got back from doing Athens to Dubai. We loved all the sea days. Yes it was hot, but if you go up on the sun deck there's always a breeze and you can lay in the sun. There were activities, if you wanted to do them. There was a Concorde pilot who did a variety of talks relating to aviation. There was a German diplomat who did talks about Arab countries. There were trivia competitions, bingo, bridge, dancing lessons etc.

The restrictions are not a problem. The doors onto the pool deck are open, it's just not lit up. It's actually great to go and lie on a sun bed and see the stars without any light pollution.

The restrictions are not a problem. The doors onto the pool deck are open, it's just not lit up. It's actually great to go and lie on a sun bed and see the stars without any light pollution.

It may be that Azamara has changed it's policy on this, and if so then they deserve credit for listening. Since I had booked the voyage to star watch I was less than happy to discover I couldn't.

On our cruise the pool deck access was restricted to smokers on a small part of the deck. The security basis was that the retired marines involved in guarding the ship would know that any people on the pool deck outside that small area were pirates, and act accordingly. Balconies were totally off limits dusk to dawn.

I'm wondering whether the same sort of restrictions apply on the Singapore to Mumbai leg next spring; there are some mega bargains available, including singles at less than 125% of heavily reduced fares :)

We've just got back from doing Athens to Dubai. We loved all the sea days. Yes it was hot, but if you go up on the sun deck there's always a breeze and you can lay in the sun. There were activities, if you wanted to do them. There was a Concorde pilot who did a variety of talks relating to aviation. There was a German diplomat who did talks about Arab countries. There were trivia competitions, bingo, bridge, dancing lessons etc.

As Willow said our experience of access to the outer decks was more restricted. The door immediately next to the smoking area was open, but further access to the pool deck was limited by ropes and barriers.

I'm sure exact detail of restrictions will vary from cruise to cruise dependent upon advice from security personnel onboard at the time and reports of the levels of pirate activity in the Gulf of Aden area. Just be prepared. My understanding listening to one of the updates from Captain Johannes was that there is now more pirate activity on the west coast of Africa.

Phil

I'm wondering whether the same sort of restrictions apply on the Singapore to Mumbai leg next spring; there are some mega bargains available, including singles at less than 125% of heavily reduced fares :)

We did the fabulous Singapore to Mumbai Spice Route Cruise this year in April. There were no restrictions using your balcony or going to the pool deck at night. It was an absolutely terrific cruise.

We had a balcony on the port side of the ship, so had the best view as we sailed into Mumbai Harbour, as you could see the Gateway to India and the Taj Hotel on the way to our berth. Also sailing into Cochin, you had the fishing nets just a stones throw away from where you were sitting.

Enjoy your cruising:D

Edited by wangeling gal
spelling