Getting to Galveston?

We are flying into Houston to take Rhapsody leaving Galveston. I know that taking the RC shuttle is almost $80 per person round trip. Any other suggestions on how to get to & from Galveston that is less expensive? THANKS!:rolleyes:

Try Galveston Limo - they are not a true limo service - they have shuttle type vans that service both airports on a regular service.

We used them for a Rhapsody cruise and we were very satisfied. Believe they have a web site that gives all their prices, times, etc.

You have to be careful with some of the shuttle services, especially if you are coming into Bush. That is because, they will pick you up at Bush and then stop at Hobby to pick people up before going to Galveston. If you are cutting it close, you should ask specifics. I would always suggest coming in a day early if you can and stay overnight in Galveston or Houston.

We flew into Hobby the night before and rented a car from Enterprise. We stayed in Houston that night and then drove down to Galveston the next morning. We dropped the car off at the Enterprise office in Galveston and they shuttled us to the pier. Much less expensive than a shuttle or limo service. It was quicker, too, since we didn't have to wait on anyone else to fill up a shuttle. Very easy when we returned as well. Went to Enterprise office in terminal, picked up the car they had waiting for us, and we were on the road by 9:30am.

You can't arrange this over the internet; you must contact the Enterprise office there directly. However, they did honor a great internet deal that was available at the time since my particular circumstances prevented me from being able to book online. We were more than pleased and plan to do this again in December for our Splendour cruise.

Another vote for Galveston Limo.They got us to our hotel (we came in two days early ... lots to do in Galveston) which we had booked independently. Not sure if the RCCL ground transfer will take you to anything other than the hotel they patronize. And after the cruise, we were in the first van they loaded up and we were on our way to the airport long before they finished filling the RCCL bus. Best of all, they offered child rates, which RCCL didn't. I was flying into IAH, so it cost me $85 total for the two of us last year. According to their web site, Hobby is cheaper ... $50 RT

http://www.galvestonlimousineservice.com/hobby.html

Another vote for Galveston Limo. I used them last December to get from Hobby to Galveston, spent the night at Harbor House. They picked us up right away after the cruise and we got back to the airport in record time!

Gabrielle, when in Dec. are you going on the Rhapsody?

Welcome! My family and I will be on the same cruise. Have you posted on the Roll Call section? There seems to be a good group going. Can't wait. This will be our 2 Christmas cruise on Rhapsody. We are debating about driving or flying. We are like you, the Texas panhandle weather is so unpredicable, you never know what the weather will be like. Have you been on the Rhapsody before? If not you will enjoy her very much.

• 2 months later...
We used the so-call Galveston Limo Service.

Your going to wish you had paid the little extra money to ride in the cruise line's bus. If you have to resort to this service, you probably can't afford to be cruising.

By your own advice, apparently you can't afford to be cruising either.

Okay, someone please tell me what is wrong with Galveston Limo. I had heard a lot of good things about them so I booked with them and now I am worried. I could not do the cruise line service as we are flying in the day before and staying in Galveston overnight. I looked into limo services and could not find anyone who could commit to a type of car and time, so I got kind of worried and went with Galveston Limo. I know they aren't really a limo, but a shuttle van. Please tell me what is wrong so I can figure out if I will be able to deal with the service. Thanks,

Pam

I had a VERY good experience with them. And I have read lots of good reviews from other people as well. They were right there at the airport, got us to Galveston in good time. When we got off the ship, they were right outside the terminal, holding up a sign. Everything went very smoothly, no complaints at all.

They made a personal call to me onboard ship this weekend (we were near Fort Lauderdale so for the 1st time in a week I had cell service) to arrange our later pickup yesterday (rather than Mon as scheduled) due to Hurricane Rita.

2nd time I've used them, really good service both times.

We flew into Hobby the day before and rented a minivan from Enterprise. This worked really well going down. We had our cruise extended to 10 days due to Rita and called Enterprise to make sure they had our reservation for Wednesday. Upon arriving, no Enterprise personnel were at the pier. We called them three time and after waiting an hour, we took a taxi for $85 to Hobby

We had an excellent experience with Galveston Limo. No problems, whatsoever. $50 round trip pp from Hobby. They took us to our pre-cruise hotel and picked us up there (we did one night post-cruise as well). Talked to others on board who said Gal. Limo brought them directly to the ship--no problems. I have seen and read 99% good things about this service. I would use them again without a second thought!

Having booked transfers with Galveston Limo, I kinda resent the comment about not being able to afford to cruise if you have to book with them. It's cost saving choices like booking a cheaper transfer that allow my DH and I to be able to cruise. Besides, why pay $80pp for transfers when you can pay $50? That just leaves us $60 more for excursions, etc! Anyway, just had to speak my mind on this one! I've heard nothing but EXCELLENT things about Galveston Limo, BTW.:)

We flew into Hobby the day before and rented a minivan from Enterprise. This worked really well going down. We had our cruise extended to 10 days due to Rita and called Enterprise to make sure they had our reservation for Wednesday. Upon arriving, no Enterprise personnel were at the pier. We called them three time and after waiting an hour, we took a taxi for $85 to Hobby

Just wanted to clarify my post. Four of us, with 11 pieces of luggage, took a taxi to Hobby for $85. Our two couples split the cost and the $15 tip for a total of $50 per couple. I did not think that was bad, as Enterprise essentially left us stranded in the heat for over an hour.

Gabrielle,

Nice to hear from a fellow Minnesotan. We took the Rhapsody in Feb.

We rented a car from Enterprise and stayed precruise in Galveston.

DH dropped us off at pier with all the luggage, and returned the car

in Galveston about 4 miles away. It cost about $55.00 total. Worked

out wonderful.

Lori

• 1 month later...
Gabrielle,

Nice to hear from a fellow Minnesotan. We took the Rhapsody in Feb.

We rented a car from Enterprise and stayed precruise in Galveston.

DH dropped us off at pier with all the luggage, and returned the car

in Galveston about 4 miles away. It cost about $55.00 total. Worked

out wonderful.

Lori

There is a $44.00 route charge on top of the rental fee out of IAH, going to Galveston now. Galveston to IAH, no route charge. :confused:

This is just an addition to this thread.. In May of 2005, I had booked Galveston Limo for a ride to our hotel in Galveston. It wasn't the best experience, however we did get to our hotel eventually. The problem was every shuttle that came thru Hobby was either full or could take just one or two passengers. There was approximatley 10-12 people waiting,so, it just took a long time before a shuttle came by that had room for us. The reason the buses were full is because they go to Bush first and then to Hobby.

This is just for your info, certainly not to start anything negative with the cruisers that think Galveston Limo is the "best"

P.S. A cab driver in Galveston advised me, next time just grab a cab.:cool:

Regarding the last post, I was one of the original posters who suggested Galveston Limo. As many people have said, they are very good and very efficient.

As far as the last posting goes, not all their shuttles service both airports. When you book with them you need to look at the schedule and/or ask. Our driver had our name, flight number, etc., and knew how many people he had to pick up. He went directly from Bush to Galveston. It was a full shuttle. We picked up an extra passenger who was simply "waiting for the shuttle" - he had not booked and said he never booked - he was a business man returning home to Galveston - the driver asked if we objected to squeezing him in - it was a squeeze for the extra person, but everyone was very nice, very polite, and no one minded. Obviously we could not have taken an extra family or even a couple, but the man had no luggage, other than his brief case, and just wanted to get home.

Coming home, when we disembarked Galveston Limo had three shuttle buses waiting for people. They did not wait long - had listings with everyone's flight schedules on - ours was the "early" and they got about 15 people on board (we were not together, but had disembarked around the same time) based on RC process and off we went.

Good clean, polite, would not hesitate to use them again.

Archived