pre paid tips ? Why do some not pay

dramaqueenjan

They aren't tips. That's the point. Which you miss. A lot.

They are expecting the money. If you are not paying it you are not pulling your load.

Ok, you must know better than what Carnival posted, so please inform them. Either way I put this on Carnival above ALL!

Isn't Carnival's job to pull the load to pay wage, why aren't they, so fare stay cheap, not caring if some tip/pay or not?

If its expected include it, arguement done. Now onto smuggling and kids roaming around unattended:D

Now we can't decide what they are, must be the real problem...hmmmmmm!

Edited by Blk_Amish

Hello jimbo. We were on the feb. 2012 Magic with John heald during Mardi Gras out of Galveston. Good to see you again!

Hey! How are you. Good to see you as well. Remember it well, especially the rough last day and the crew member jumping overboard.

Crew member jumping overboard?????

Sorry to go off topic but this is one story i must hear :)

The last day at sea day it was pretty rough and really windy. People getting sick pretty much all over the ship. Middle of the day, they had a hot water problem where half the ship was without water for about 5 hours. John Heald (who was our cruise director) was making announcements during the day on updates of things but you could tell it was wearig him out. Around 10:30, we were making our last rounds before hitting the sack on the last night. We had an aft wrap cabin port side on floor 6. We had one more drink then headed to our cabin. As we getting ready for bed, over the entire ship PA system you here "BRAVO BRAVO Port side" My wife looks at me and I say that I think that is for man overboard. We run out onto the balcony and you could immediately feel the ships propellers go nuetral.

Crew members were running out on the 5th floor walkway on our side and near the back of the ship looking out in the water. Then a spot light came on scanning the water (did not even know they had them). The the ship started a fairly tight turn to the right. John Heald came over the PA to announce that the ship was not in danger but it appearred someone had gone over board. Then they launched the little zodiak abd went out to find the person. It appears it was a drunk crew member who (lucky for him) grabbed a life preserver before jumping off of lido. They spotted the blinking light in the water and rescued him.

They had to notify the coast guard (SOP?) when there was a man overboard and then to tell them he was recovered and the Coast Guard could suspend their search anbd rescue deployment. Finally John Heald came over the PA. apologized for the disruption (praised the search and rescue team) and said it was a disturbed employee and he was alive and well, that he would not bother us with anymore disturbing announcements. We saw them taking him off on a stretcher (hancufferd to the stretcher) the next morning prior to debarkation..

Honestly, we are about at cheap as they come, but we prefer thrifty. We love being cheap/thrifty. We aren't wealthy and we have taken some amazing vacations because we "could" by being cheap. Having said that we do tip at 20% at restaurants if the service is decent or better and we left our auto-tips on (and would always) we "only" tipped extra 40.00 on our 7 day cruise (cabin steward was great) and I am sure it's not as much as a lot of folks. We had inside room with no window etc. (I said we were cheap/thrifty didn't I?) I'd personally rather be in a lesser level room and have the $ to tip for good service than a higher level room and not be able to tip if the service was good. That's me but Carnival does allow removing them...soooo it's all up to individual. If we had small kids with us all in one room (1 bathroom, sink, 1 floor to vacuum, etc), I might consider reducing them a bit, I'm not sure.

Edited by JustCruiseMe

Crew members were running out on the 5th floor walkway on our side and near the back of the ship looking out in the water. Then a spot light came on scanning the water (did not even know they had them). The the ship started a fairly tight turn to the right. John Heald came over the PA to announce that the ship was not in danger but it appearred someone had gone over board. Then they launched the little zodiak abd went out to find the person. It appears it was a drunk crew member who (lucky for him) grabbed a life preserver before jumping off of lido. They spotted the blinking light in the water and rescued him.

They had to notify the coast guard (SOP?) when there was a man overboard and then to tell them he was recovered and the Coast Guard could suspend their search anbd rescue deployment. Finally John Heald came over the PA. apologized for the disruption (praised the search and rescue team) and said it was a disturbed employee and he was alive and well, that he would not bother us with anymore disturbing announcements. We saw them taking him off on a stretcher (hancufferd to the stretcher) the next morning prior to debarkation..

Hahahaha fantastic story

Certainly one to tell the grand kids lol

Thanks for sharing it with us :)

Well, here is an interesting twist to many of these "rants" about people not leaving the "auto-tip/gratuity" in place. On one of my first cruises, I put the "tip/gratuity" in envelopes for all parties and gave them the minimum or more so that I could personally thank them for the good service. A bit more work on my part but that was my choice. Have never done it again as it is a bit of a pain but often just leave a thank you card (which I pack in advance hoping for good service) and leave a bit more in the room for the steward(s). Gosh folks, stop expecting the worst! There are some decent folks out here....

On our first cruise many years ago which was a Disney with the kids, they had envelopes you gave to the people on the last night. We gave the amount asked even if it was change. Then my brother and sister in law went on the same vacation, [they were 2 prison guards] and claimed they never knew and did not have any money left. On one cruise i gave a couple dollars each to my favorite staff and i saw one on the next cruise and boy did he remember me!

On our first cruise many years ago which was a Disney with the kids, they had envelopes you gave to the people on the last night. We gave the amount asked even if it was change. Then my brother and sister in law went on the same vacation, [they were 2 prison guards] and claimed they never knew and did not have any money left. On one cruise i gave a couple dollars each to my favorite staff and i saw one on the next cruise and boy did he remember me!

Couple of comments/ questions. Not sure what their profession has to do with the topic. Are prison guards poor tippers? I am confused, are you for against tipping as it now stands?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app from my IPhone

Can't say what or why people do or do not do things and if I'm on line at Guest Services, it's not really my business why others are in line ahead of or behind me. It really irks me that someone may be worrying about my business ...

I have never removed tips. I do however, slip some cash to the employees who have gone and beyond to make my vacation better.

Well, here is an interesting twist to many of these "rants" about people not leaving the "auto-tip/gratuity" in place. On one of my first cruises, I put the "tip/gratuity" in envelopes for all parties and gave them the minimum or more so that I could personally thank them for the good service. A bit more work on my part but that was my choice. Have never done it again as it is a bit of a pain but often just leave a thank you card (which I pack in advance hoping for good service) and leave a bit more in the room for the steward(s). Gosh folks, stop expecting the worst! There are some decent folks out here....

AMEN -- and stop concerning yourselves with everyone else all the time.

The point being....you knew that they needed to be paid.

When I was growing up, I learned that you don't eat meat on Fridays, and you never touch the Eucharist.

When I started cruising, I learned you put your tip money in an envelope and handing it to those servers.

Now I must be a bad Catholic and cheap. Yet, it's none of anyone elses business.

Mind your own.

When I was growing up, I learned that you don't eat meat on Fridays, and you never touch the Eucharist.

When I started cruising, I learned you put your tip money in an envelope and handing it to those servers.

Now I must be a bad Catholic and cheap. Yet, it's none of anyone elses business.

Mind your own.

Can't comment on your status as a catholic, but from a tipping perspective..... If it really bothers you having to defend your opinion or having people comment on yours (it appears that is so based on your myod comment) then maybe you should move on. This happens to be one of the two most commented on topics here. It does get heated at times as money hits home with lots of people. My 2 cents of advice for what's it worth.

My guess is that after a point of time this thread will be closed if it keeps digressing.

Can't comment on your status as a catholic, but from a tipping perspective..... If it really bothers you having to defend your opinion or having people comment on yours (it appears that is so based on your myod comment) then maybe you should move on. This happens to be one of the two most commented on topics here. It does get heated at times as money hits home with lots of people. My 2 cents of advice for what's it worth.

My guess is that after a point of time this thread will be closed if it keeps digressing.

Nope. Never said it bothers me. Just not about to change, nor move on. The process changed/ broadened, not me. And yet I see my option is perfectly acceptable to the company.

Pfff, Until YOU start to pay for my vacation tab there is nothing to rationalize. Carnival says my tip is optional/suggested, at my discretion, so what I do is between ME and my conscience. Please take you concerns to Carnival, the company that has clearly failed to do right by the employees by not including it in the fare, if it's expect to be paid. Now, watch the TRUE cheapers scream when the rates go up, to take care of those they claim to have pity on. Please excuse my post if you thought for one second that I would waste my time to rationalize a decision based clearly on a company failure. If you find it necessary to judge others based on the fact Carnival failed to do what's in the best interest of the employees, go ahead bro!

Aside, I READ the OP post which was addressing prepay gratuity. Most may leave the auto tip but do not prepay it. Common sense would suggest telling a family of 4, sharing a coffin, to tip $350 optional is leading people into temptation they can get to all by themselves. The coffins for 4 is usually more expensive than those for 2.

We'll said

During our first cruise in July. I loved the boat, the cruising and shows aboard the fan out of Jacksonville. What I didn't like was while switching clothes our room steward never knocked just opened the door and walked in. I went to the desk and was very upset. Room steward did not do our room well the rest of the week. Also out dinner service was at 8 and we never got our meals until 900 or 915 with kids. Our waiter never filled our drinks. Every ounce of me wanted to take the 350 dollar tip for my family of 4 but I left it. Our staff said many times they were getting off the boat we we got back. On half moon cay day the lady keep saying answer questions well I only have this week. I understand sometimes why the tips are took off. I don't expect royalty but like any tipping job sometimes you get some bad apples.

During our first cruise in July. I loved the boat, the cruising and shows aboard the fan out of Jacksonville. What I didn't like was while switching clothes our room steward never knocked just opened the door and walked in. I went to the desk and was very upset. Room steward did not do our room well the rest of the week. Also out dinner service was at 8 and we never got our meals until 900 or 915 with kids. Our waiter never filled our drinks. Every ounce of me wanted to take the 350 dollar tip for my family of 4 but I left it. Our staff said many times they were getting off the boat we we got back. On half moon cay day the lady keep saying answer questions well I only have this week. I understand sometimes why the tips are took off. I don't expect royalty but like any tipping job sometimes you get some bad apples.

Yup. And I don't mind helping some to decide this line of business is NOT for them.