pre paid tips ? Why do some not pay

dramaqueenjan

Sounds like the pot calling the kettle black to me

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app from my IPhone

Um no, because I'm not concerned about what people do with their tips ... if you would have read my initial response you would have seen that.

But, whatever, because frankly, you don't know me, nor I you and therefore, it doesn't matter what you think of me.

Um no, because I'm not concerned about what people do with their tips ... if you would have read my initial response you would have seen that.

But, whatever, because frankly, you don't know me, nor I you and therefore, it doesn't matter what you think of me.

Lol, it would not matter even if I did know you. I agree with you. You can either pay tips or withhold them, Its your right. I was referring to comments on posting. Everyone can, it is what makes this place interesting.

So we all agree that if something is a right, the next time someone wants to know why some don't, the answer is NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS.

Since we are nice posters, maybe explain it's a right granted by the cruise line, to exercise at ones own discretion and judgment. So do your thing and let others do theirs.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

Edited by Blk_Amish

So we all agree that if something is a right, the next time someone wants to know why some don't, the answer is NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS.

Since we are nice posters, maybe explain it's a right granted by the cruise line, to exercise at ones own discretion and judgment. So do your thing and let others do theirs.

Fine with me. I will still post my opinion in posts as you can as well. I have never said it was not allowed or not your right , just don't agree with it.

Fine with me. I will still post my opinion in posts as you can as well. I have never said it was not allowed or not your right , just don't agree with it.

Congratulations on having reached 40 posts in this thread.

I don't read these tipping threads anymore but I do like to acknowledge the posting "winner".

Bro and sister in law made alot more money than us and did not tip one dollar. That was my point in mentioning there professions. And if they are like the rest of the prison guards in the world [which i am sure they are not] then i guess they are are all bad tippers. Some people are like that and put away every penny they make for retirement or someday. Then say they have no money.

Congratulations on having reached 40 posts in this thread.

I don't read these tipping threads anymore but I do like to acknowledge the posting "winner".

It's so nice to be recognized by ones peers Thank you to the academy and thank you Rich! Knowing you can count that high impresses me more than I can say. Especially from someone who gas led the way on his causes.

I have a passion for doing my part to ensure that these extreme hard working crew don't get screwed. What can I say?

Bro and sister in law made alot more money than us and did not tip one dollar. That was my point in mentioning there professions. And if they are like the rest of the prison guards in the world [which i am sure they are not] then i guess they are are all bad tippers. Some people are like that and put away every penny they make for retirement or someday. Then say they have no money.

I agree, as you can tell. It makes my blood boil.

Dirt Bags :eek: want something for nothing. One time had truly poor service in the dining room, stopped going to MDR and transferred the $$ to our room steward. Only 1 time in 14 cruises!!

So I was reading A thread on here someone complaining about her neighbors and she said when she was in line at guest services 20 people in front of her were canceling there pre paid gratuities .. I m new to cruising Why would people do this ? When we went We had excellent service and provided an extra tip at the end 11.50 a day is hardly enough for all the staff it extends too ? I Have seen this mentioned before as well Do they wait to see if service is up to standard ??? Im just curious :confused:

It's so nice to be recognized by ones peers Thank you to the academy and thank you Rich! Knowing you can count that high impresses me more than I can say. Especially from someone who gas led the way on his causes.

I have a passion for doing my part to ensure that these extreme hard working crew don't get screwed. What can I say?

I don't have to count that high. Just need to look at "who posted" on any thread.

What does "Especially from someone who gas led the way on his causes" mean ?

As I posted ,I haven't read this thread because of my belief that A) only sleezeballs look for a justification for not tipping

and B) nothing that is said on these tipping threads is very interesting including this post.:o

(Sometimes it is amusing to see which post causes the thread to go poof)

I don't have to count that high. Just need to look at "who posted" on any thread.

What does "Especially from someone who gas led the way on his causes" mean ?

As I posted ,I haven't read this thread because of my belief that A) only sleezeballs look for a justification for not tipping

and B) nothing that is said on these tipping threads is very interesting including this post.:o

(Sometimes it is amusing to see which post causes the thread to go poof)

True on the thread being yanked. Sorry for the confusion. iPhone corrections. I am no sure what I meant by that post now, was really rambling like an award winner lol.

Yup. And I don't mind helping some to decide this line of business is NOT for them.

Really? Can't they decide that by themselves? What a nice extra added value you provide.

Okay

Dirt Bags :eek: want something for nothing. One time had truly poor service in the dining room, stopped going to MDR and transferred the $$ to our room steward. Only 1 time in 14 cruises!!

Did you just say Dirt Bags. Despite how we feel about something can it be done showing some level of Respect, to self, to others.

Before someone come on saying something about pot and kettle, I post in a way knowing this is a vacation that started out with some level of class decades ago. How does dirt bag end up on the deck of any ship, yeah lowering rates and standard for more than just non tippers. No too many more cruises to go (maybe thank heavens) but glad to say I remember it back then, 14 cruises in 20 years!

Add my real name to this post - Pauline

Edited by Blk_Amish

I agree, I don't like the system but we can work to change it.

Now, cruises as a vacation is working less and less for me so look for a types that more representative

Pauline

Edited by Blk_Amish

Actually, no.

:confused::confused:

No, don't have the fees included at booking

No, don't have the workers risk workers their butts off for nothing

No, don't let tipping be completely discretionary and optional

No, to less cheap cruises and cheap attitude, bring back some of the class and elegance

No, so people realize if a right granted it should be respected even if you don't agree with it.

No, so we can have a reason to call names and put down like Mean Girls

No, to a nice frock in the MDR

No, to smuggling ( OK time to quit while I am ahead:D) I KNOW some tippers are BIG time smugglers.

Actually YES for me, now more than ever, time for a change. Pay more to get on board or stay home.

The once classy cruise experience is now becoming as low as the rate and attitude. This might just be a Carnival thing!

Stop acting as if it's a trip to the mall, yeah you thought I was going to say Walmart. I wear a nice frock there, each and every time!

Pauline

Edited by Blk_Amish

So I was reading A thread on here someone complaining about her neighbors and she said when she was in line at guest services 20 people in front of her were canceling there pre paid gratuities .. I m new to cruising Why would people do this ? When we went We had excellent service and provided an extra tip at the end 11.50 a day is hardly enough for all the staff it extends too ? I Have seen this mentioned before as well Do they wait to see if service is up to standard ??? Im just curious :confused:

The people who remove their tips on a cruise are the same "type" that don't tip on land (especially when on vacay and feel they will never see the Servers again)! They are what I call sucky people! Ironically, these same crappy people are usually very "needy, demanding and Slobs" and treat their waitstaff as if they are garbage!

I believe everything that goes around, comes around!

The people who remove their tips on a cruise are the same "type" that don't tip on land (especially when on vacay and feel they will never see the Servers again)! They are what I call sucky people! Ironically, these same crappy people are usually very "needy, demanding and Slobs" and treat their waitstaff as if they are garbage!

I believe everything that goes around, comes around!

Bad analogy. I don't know any restaurants that add the tip to your tab before being served by the ownwers, holding you hostage to pay their employee.

I stress once again, different cultures around the world do things differently, have different understandings and beliefs and will always make their own judgements.

Cruising is dominated by the US market and so cruiselines, a service industry, have become very tip orientated.

I guess none of really know the full ins and outs of the policies, we just go on what others tell us.

I believe that most Europeans will look to tip around 10%, if they believe service is of a high enough standard, but of course most workers are paid much higher basic wages / salaries. However, we get into a routine and find it difficult to adjust our mindset when going abroad.

I usually cruise all inclusive, but even on those ships many are reported to be tipping extra, so I guess at the end of the day, it is up to the individual to decide what is right and act upon it.

One thing I don't understand about auto-tipping, is that the people who do room service are covered by the auto-tip, so why tip extra?

Bad analogy. I don't know any restaurants that add the tip to your tab before being served by the ownwers, holding you hostage to pay their employee.

Duh, you are on a Cruise Ship! The tips are added onto your account usually the 2nd or 3rd day of the Cruise. So, unless you are jumping Ship what difference does it make if they are added on the last night of the Cruise or the 1st day!

FYI: There are restaurants on land (especially in some tourist areas) and also at Resort restaurants that do automatically add the Gratuity on regardless of the number of people. The majority of restaurants in the U.S. do automatically add a Grat for parties of 8 or more.

In Europe the Grat is automatically added onto the check at restaurants.

Please don't take this as being rude but you need to get out more!!!

Bottom line: The bad tippers on land are the same people who are removing their tips on a Cruise. They are a certain type and are sucky people!!!

Edited by idiebabe

I stress once again, different cultures around the world do things differently, have different understandings and beliefs and will always make their own judgements.

Cruising is dominated by the US market and so cruiselines, a service industry, have become very tip orientated.

I guess none of really know the full ins and outs of the policies, we just go on what others tell us.

I believe that most Europeans will look to tip around 10%, if they believe service is of a high enough standard, but of course most workers are paid much higher basic wages / salaries. However, we get into a routine and find it difficult to adjust our mindset when going abroad.

I usually cruise all inclusive, but even on those ships many are reported to be tipping extra, so I guess at the end of the day, it is up to the individual to decide what is right and act upon it.

One thing I don't understand about auto-tipping, is that the people who do room service are covered by the auto-tip, so why tip extra?

It is probably more culture driven than any other reason. I believe most (some would argue that point but let's move on) feel that the auto tipping is a base line. If they feel service either preceived or actual goes above and beyond, then they show appreciation (as in tipping above and beyond for that extraordinary service could even be a singular event). There are people that tip at the beginning of a cruise (say giving $10 or $20) to a room steward to get that service (real or preceived).