pre paid tips ? Why do some not pay

dramaqueenjan

They probably are, on a case by case basis. Just like crew members on the Lido during lunch, some of them also are waiters in the dining room at night. On one occasion, from my experience, room service was brought by the waiter in the next section over.

That being the case, why do pax tip extra,as they have already been tipped once?

Bad analogy. I don't know any restaurants that add the tip to your tab before being served by the ownwers, holding you hostage to pay their employee.

Actually, there are a few restaurants around here that when they run your card when you go to pay your bill they do the "authorization" for the tab plus 15%. Really peeved me when it first happened - I was new to the area and called them up and gave them an earful. They said "that's the way it's done around here". I don't go to those restaurants anymore, but if I did, I would definitely pay with cash because how much I tip should be my business and they shouldn't assume anything from the get-go.

My point is that the person who brings the order is included in the tipping pool, so if you tip with the order, you'll be tipping twice!

They might be part of the tipping pool when they also work the Lido or MDR, not when they are running Room Service. PLease lets all teach crew members that they should be expected to just suck it up because running orders to our cabins is not worth a $1. You are tipping them for providing a convenience to you. There are cruise lines that add a service charge to room service orders.

Hello everyone. This is a very thought provocative thread.:D

I have some questions/thoughts about carnival tipping policy and tipping in general.

Question: I have always wondered if all gratuities received by all guests in each separate category (stateroom, dining, alternative) get pooled and distributed evenly to each worker within the category at the end of each cruise?

Thoughts: I have become kind of tired of being expected to tip everyone that I come in contact with during my vacation. For example (and this happens a lot) I may take a boating excursion somewhere. Now, instead of having someone from the tour provider take care of everything on the tour, they put someone on the boat to serve drinks to guests and then they will say that that person is not employed by them, but is working only for tips. That irritates me because when I signed up for an excursion that includes ‘a’, ‘b’, and ‘c’. Now I feel ‘obligated’ to tip someone to provide me with ‘c’, which I thought was part of my cost. Oh boy, I saw a dolphin, now I have to tip more, etc. etc. etc. It just never ends.:confused:

I guess what I am saying is that tipping, although supposed to be a gift, is in most cases expected. Like taking a taxi or a bus. I can see if they load luggage, but if not, I am not asking them to do anything special, just their job.:(

ALL OF THIS being said, I always include in my budget (and do pay) the auto-tips, tips to tour companies, tips to taxi drivers, etc. etc. etc. I am conservative - I rarely tip extra to cruise staff because I am pretty low maintenance and have never had overly extraordinary service IMO.

Tours and Taxies usually get a $5 for hubby and me. And yes I do tip in restaurants using normal tipping standards.

Call me cheap, but I prefer conservative. :)

Just when you thought this thread was going to end,

Let the flaming begin…….

My point is that the person who brings the order is included in the tipping pool, so if you tip with the order, you'll be tipping twice!

Room service is not included the tipping pool. Room stewards, dinning room staff, maitre'd. Room service, not.

GO CARDINALS!!!!!!!!!

It's probably cultural again, but the only way I can rationalise this is that's it's a bribe. "Here's some money , you know what to do." I know most Americans won't see it that way though. :D

Speaking from personal experience but I wouldn't expect many Americans to see or even acknowledge that there are other cultures with customs that are just as important as theirs. Some won't give up theirs for a day in port but expect others to ignore their for weeks, heck decades need be. I am still trying to convince some it not going to happen. :DThis is based on experience.

I have pretip/bribe with no specific expectation. Sometimes I get a portion of my vacation for free and have extra funds in the vacation action caddy. I AM CHEAP because I refuse to vacation unless apart is free. I don't always choose the cheapest trip, cruise or resort, because it sometimes attractive some with cheap attitude, nothing to do with tipping. I would rather stay home than go just for the sake of not being home.

My cheapness is referred to as fiscally responsible.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

Edited by Blk_Amish

I have some questions/thoughts about carnival tipping policy and tipping in general.

Question: I have always wondered if all gratuities received by all guests in each separate category (stateroom, dining, alternative) get pooled and distributed evenly to each worker within the category at the end of each cruise?

Thoughts: I have become kind of tired of being expected to tip everyone that I come in contact with during my vacation. For example (and this happens a lot) I may take a boating excursion somewhere. Now, instead of having someone from the tour provider take care of everything on the tour, they put someone on the boat to serve drinks to guests and then they will say that that person is not employed by them, but is working only for tips. That irritates me because when I signed up for an excursion that includes ‘a’, ‘b’, and ‘c’. Now I feel ‘obligated’ to tip someone to provide me with ‘c’, which I thought was part of my cost. Oh boy, I saw a dolphin, now I have to tip more, etc. etc. etc. It just never ends.:confused:

I guess what I am saying is that tipping, although supposed to be a gift, is in most cases expected. Like taking a taxi or a bus. I can see if they load luggage, but if not, I am not asking them to do anything special, just their job.:(

ALL OF THIS being said, I always include in my budget (and do pay) the auto-tips, tips to tour companies, tips to taxi drivers, etc. etc. etc. I am conservative - I rarely tip extra to cruise staff because I am pretty low maintenance and have never had overly extraordinary service IMO.

Tours and Taxies usually get a $5 for hubby and me. And yes I do tip in restaurants using normal tipping standards.

Let the flaming begin…….

When I was in Egypt, we had to tip to use A bathroom, tip for Someone pointing at a monument, tip for the driver that got Us lost and drove us through a trash dump After a hot air balloon ride, tip for Someone telling us every statue was Hatshepsut or King Tut, tip for Someone sitting next to Tut's mummy in his tomb and guarding it, tips for Selling you a museum ticket, tips for the privlege of using your own video Camera. At least our society isnt that bad yet:p

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Forums mobile app

When I was in Egypt, we had to tip to use A bathroom, tip for Someone pointing at a monument, tip for the driver that got Us lost and drove us through a trash dump After a hot air balloon ride, tip for Someone telling us every statue was Hatshepsut or King Tut, tip for Someone sitting next to Tut's mummy in his tomb and guarding it, tips for Selling you a museum ticket, tips for the privlege of using your own video Camera. At least our society isnt that bad yet:p

You don't have to, but I've been to Egypt and it can be pretty intimidating as you say. The thing that really made me really mad was when a guy thrust a pottery knick knack into my dyspraxic 6 y.o. daughter's hand trying to get us to buy something.

The best approach to tipping in Egypt, for people who have done absolutely nothing useful at all for you, is to play the 'We're English and don't understand this tipping malarkey". Practice you accent. ;)

OMG..laughing so hard I can't breath...

You don't have to, but I've been to Egypt and it can be pretty intimidating as you say. The thing that really made me really mad was when a guy thrust a pottery knick knack into my dyspraxic 6 y.o. daughter's hand trying to get us to buy something.

The best approach to tipping in Egypt, for people who have done absolutely nothing useful at all for you, is to play the 'We're English and don't understand this tipping malarkey". Practice you accent. ;)

my sister was in the Peace corps in Moldova At the time, So she'd just mutter Something in Romanian And that helped stump the tip beggars! My favorite phrase was "la Shukran"

I get flamed, so let me be clear. I do pre pay the tips. I consider them a service fee.

However, in what other arena are you asked to recognize good service before you actually receive the service? My mom was a bartender; we were all waitresses. I'm all for tipping... after you have provided a service.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Wow....So with the double tip they may get $2? :rolleyes:

I suppose it depends on the size of the tip.

You either have auto-tipping or not, but if some of you guys are happy to tip extra, whatever the service level, you can pay mine as well and I'll just make sure I keep my toothbrush in my pocket.

That being the case, why do pax tip extra,as they have already been tipped once?

personally, I like to. I like to bring a smile to Someone's face and maybe brighten their day, I certainly understand why people don't over tip though. It is part of My cruise enjoyment, but my Choice, I expect no one else to do it.

As far as tips being part of the salary-Well, yeah. That is what these workers sign up for. Low base wage and the balance depends On service and reward, Just like restaurant servers and bartenders- I don't Understand why people Are so outraged about that, Not like the workers Aren't Aware of What their base wages are, Some people tip, Some don't- bartenders Know that, room stewards know that. service industry workers Are aware And chance dealing with the no and low tippers because of the promise Of A bigger reward. As a bartender, I got stiffed Occasionally, but I also got large tips for Small Orders, It usually balances Out, and Obviously Must make Some kind of sense for these workers or there wouldn't be thousands voluntarily doing it,

Why isn't majority of the people doing the right thing creating a balancing effect, good enough? Is it just some peoples need to stand in judegment that drives the negative comments about something that is truly none of their business. Yet, they are not wiling to make it a mandatory charge for 100% compliance. I guess that's called lip service, cheap lip service:D

Edited by Blk_Amish

Let the flaming begin…….

Didn't have to read very far lol

Thoughts: I have become kind of tired of being expected to tip everyone that I come in contact with during my vacation ;)

I don't tip extra nor do I remove my gratuities. For me it is part of my expenses and don't even think about it. I never have had a bad waiter and on my last cruise on the liberty I didn't even meet my cabin steward. We are up early and come back late.

I suppose it depends on the size of the tip.

You either have auto-tipping or not, but if some of you guys are happy to tip extra, whatever the service level, you can pay mine as well and I'll just make sure I keep my toothbrush in my pocket.

There's always a week at Butlin's choice!